Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beccatron14

The Hot Tub Situation

beccatron14
14 years ago

We are wanting to sell our house soon, but we have an issue. Our house has a sun room addition with an inground hot tub (the hot tub sinks into the crawl space underneath). About a month after we moved in the hot tub broke and is most likely broken beyond repair at this point. Whomever put in the hot tub, built the room around the hot tub so that the hot tub does not fit through the doors or any openings into the sun room.

As we see it we have 3 options:

-Leave as is and hope someone wants to buy the house and doesn't care about the hot tub.

-Saw the hot tub in half, take it out of the sunroom, and fill in the floor where the giant hole would be. (probably about $3000-$5000)

-Saw the hot tub in half, take it out, and replace it with a smaller hot tub and fill in the flooring around it. (probably around $4000-$7000)

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Comments (18)

• qdwag
    14 years ago

remove the tub,replace flooring to EXACTLY match the rest of floor,and it might not be significantly more costly to replace all flooring so there is no sign of the old tub

• mariend
    14 years ago

Whatever you do, check to see if you need permits. or if the tub was installed with permits.
    I would take it out if you could.

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I'd remove it and fix the floor.

• sweet_tea
    14 years ago

Simply disclose that it doesn't work on the disclosure statement. If buyers want it removed or replaced, they could place this in the offer and then you deal with it. Keep in mind, many buyers woudn't care if it is broken and would simply not use it. Maybe the new owners are handy and might be able to fix it or replace major parts.

What is broken? Is it a bad motor, or other particular bad part? Can't any bad parts be replaced or repaired? Even leaks can be fixed, I think. Maybe get a second opinion on exactly what is wrong and use this for disclosure.

• sweet_tea
    14 years ago

I just reread the original post. You say it is "most likely" broken beyond repair. I think you need to get a pro to evaluate what is broken and get it repaired if at all possible.

• qdwag
    14 years ago

"Keep in mind, many buyers woudn't care if it is broken and would simply not use it"

Don't listen to this advice!!!! Many wouldn't care? That is ridiculous...Take it out or replace it..And make sure if you take it out,everyhting looks like it matches...

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

I agree with qdwag!

A broken hot tub that creates issues with removal AND the flooring would be a deal breaker to me....

• Billl
    14 years ago

If I saw a big, broken down hottub sitting in the middle of a room, that would be a big red flag for me. If you didn't fix something that was obvious and visible, I'd be very concerned about issues that weren't visible.

Is the tub cracked? If not, the rest of a hottub is just tubing, a heater and a pump. Those items can all be replaced by a professional.

• calliope
    14 years ago

A couple weeks ago there was an episode on HGTV where a couple were wanting the home they were putting on the market to sell QUICKLY! because they had a contract on another home and needed to get out from under mortgage number one. The realtor suggested that they take the very emphatic, rather dated wallpaper off several of the downstairs rooms.

The owner whined "but that's soooooo much work!" The realtor shot back, "That's exactly what your prospective buyers are going to think". I laughed and mentally chalked one up for the realtor. Good comeback.

Always, always divorce yourself as much as you can from your owner perspective and put yourself in the shoes of a buyer. If you don't want to mess with something, likely they won't either. The money you spend correcting a fixable fault is often less than the money you'll have to deduct from your desired sales price to grease the deal enough to make it fly.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

remove the tub,replace flooring to EXACTLY match the rest of floor,and it might not be significantly more costly to replace all flooring so there is no sign of the old tub.

I agree.

• beccatron14
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Again, due to an incredible lack of foresight by whomever built the sunroom (and something we should have thought about) the hot tub is surrounded by two walls in the crawl space making it impossible to reach the leak. We've been broke and left the hot tub empty for 2 years (because obviously if we kept it filled it would leak) which probably dried out other seals.

We're going to have a friend look at it (we've had a professional out twice at $100 a pop) and then I think it's time to get rid of it.

What I've learned-never buy a house with an in-ground hot tub. And if you do make sure it has access on all sides and can at least get out of the room it's in. :/

Thanks for all the advice. Would you recommend us attempting the project of getting the hot tub out or should we go with a pro?

• qdwag
    14 years ago

Whether you do it, or a pro does it,make it look like it didn't exist(if you choose not to replace it)

• susana_2006
    14 years ago

Well, I'm probably the only person who doesn't want a hot tub. of course, the best house for my family did have one. It is outdoors, so not so much of an issue.
    So If I were your buyer, I'd want it removed and floor restored. I'd absolutely love the garden room.
    I have seen in Sunset magazine, swimming pools converted into large koi & water lily gardens when people did not use them for swimming any more.
    i bring my goldfish into the house in the winter, so if the hot tub could be converted to a water garden, I'd be thrilled with that.
    Maybe you could suggest the alternatives on a poster for intrested buyers, so that they could ask for the remedy that fits their family.
    Good luck
    Susan

• idrive65
    14 years ago

-Saw the hot tub in half, take it out of the sunroom, and fill in the floor where the giant hole would be. (probably about $3000-$5000)

This one. If I were buying a house I wouldn't want to see a project, even if the seller offered a cash reduction or offered to take it out before closing. (And other people's hot tubs kinda skeeve me out anyway.) If you can safely demolish it yourself, i.e. not accidentally cut through power or water lines, you can save some cash but a pro will get it done faster.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Could you put a plastic liner in it and fill it with water? Then possibly a small pump or something to circulate the water and make something with it. I don't know anything about hot tubs, but do have an inground pool with a liner. There must be some other way to avoid having to take it out.

Jane

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Leaving the tub & "letting" the buyer deal with it will cost you.

Since I don't have a good feel for the costs involved in a hot tub, say the nonworking item was just a garbage disposal.

If you know your garbage disposal doesn't work, & you could get a replacement for $50, but you decide to "let" the buyer pick his own, you can bet that that buyer will not pick a $50 disposal, he'll pick a much more expensive one, plus he'll add inanother couple of hundred dollars for his time & trouble...
    & that $50 disposal will cost you about $300!

so you've gotta do *something*, & removing the tub & repairing/replacing the floor is both the cheapest way to go & the way that will make your house appeal to a broader number of buyers.

I'd also check with a hot tub installer.

As someone said above, windows sometimes can be removed & replaced by someone who knows how to do it:

I once sold a house to a young couple who *had* to have a huge leather sofa.

I even went to the house & measured doors & windows while they waited at the furniture store.

turned out the sofa would not fit through any opening in that house, but the furniture store assured them that the delivery people could get it done.

They removed the living room windows, lifted the sofa inside, & replaced the windows, & no one could tell the difference.

I wish you the best.

• neesie
    14 years ago

OMG, just get rid of it and have the floor repaired. Honestly, I would have done that when it was obvious a month after you moved in that it was broken. You could have had an entire sunroom the whole time you lived there; now you're fixing it for the next buyer.