Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicgold

Home inspection - basement leak

musicgold
9 years ago

Hi,

We are thinking of buying this house. We like the location and the layout of the house and we are getting a bit of deal on the house because of the seller's personal situation. The house has a finished basement with wood panels and carpet floors.

During the home inspection yesterday, when the inspector checked under the carpet, we realized that there was water leakage in one of the basement corners.

According to the inspector, grading could be an issue behind the leak. When we checked the exterior, the ground at that corner was sloping in.

The seller has been living in that house for about 5 years and he told me that they did some work to improve the grade.

Here are some questions that are going through my mind.
1. Would there be mold behind the wood panels?
2. Would I be able to fix the leak? How much would it cost?
3. How big is the real problem?

Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

These questions can't be answered responsibly on an internet forum;
    you need an expert to guide you here.

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

1) Could be.
    2) Depends on what is causing the leak.
    3) Depends on what is causing the leak.

The cause of the leak cannot be diagnosed from my seat. IF it's just a grading issue, that's not usually a big deal. But it could be a bunch of other things that range from no big deal to ridiculously expensive to fix.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

I agree, you need some specializing in basements. Is there drainage tile installed? Sump pumps? What kind of walls? Our basement was plastic blocks, reinforced rebar filled with cement. We also keep all plants away from the house so the water does not accumulate We put rocks about 3 feet out, with inserts for plants. We also put rebar in the flooring so it would not shift during our bad winters.

This post was edited by marie-ndcal on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 13:57

• User
    9 years ago

musicgold,
    Please have an expert check out the basement before you buy it.
    Water on floor is bad.
    Don't buy it without a good contractor looking at it.
    Ask the seller if you can remove some carpet and paneling to see what is going on.
    It could be as BAD as the foundation, or as simple as gutters, but a contractor will let you know.
    Are you sure it was coming from a corner of the house and not up from the floor?
    Just a question you have to have answered.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Is there wet insulation behind the wood panels? Is the framing behind the wood panels wet?

If it was me, I'd definitely want those answers.

• vnw232
    9 years ago

Sounds very similar to a house I once owned. Grading didn't work. A contractor inspected the basement and quoted thousands of dollars for drain tiles and a sump pump.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

When we bought our house there was evidence of water instrusion in the unfinished basement.The basement had paneling, ceiling tiles but a cement floor. It is made of cement block walls, and there was like your house a grading issue that was easily fixed with adding soil to that area and around the house and removing three large shrubs that were very close to the house. The biggest issue I suspect was that the gutters were not kept clean.

In May the area experienced the most rainfall in two hours that it had seen in over 100 years. Many waterproofed basements were flooded (two destroyed), as well as our neighbor's who had recently waterproofed her basement for the second time and added French drains. She had a foot of water in her basement. This was the second time that she had to rip out her "mother in law suite." We had a small puddle of water.

When you ask how big the real problem is I think that is unknown. Did you see evidence of water marks on the wood panels? How long ago were they put up? Can you take one down to look behind it and see water marks on the studs? Can you live with having an unfinished basement that might have a puddle every so often after heavy rains? I would never trust a basement to not leak again after it has shown evidence of a leak which is why I removed the paneling, the ceiling tiles, and keep mine unfinished even though it is has been dry except for that one rain. If you are counting on the basement as true living space then it may be an expensive and ongoing problem.