Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting NY Times article about elderly and housing limbo

Posted by hddana (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 10:07

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/us/22home.html?em

Hope this link works for you, did for me. The article is about elderly who need to go to assisted living or downsize, and can't sell their homes. Sad, but another face to this slump.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting NY Times article about elderly and housing limbo

Ok, moving on down.

o

I didn't read the article but your summation tells me enough I think. Quite sad. And it makes you rethink the advice you hear everywhere that you should own your home before you retire. Probably still a good idea in many respects but I believe financial workings might not go back to the way they were. So, 8 years from retirement hopefully I'm trying to dump by old dreams and just keep an open mind to what I'll do when I get there.

o

A few years ago a large builder proposed a large elderly housing facility for our town. It was to include assisted living (different levels) as well as independent living. Our town is very anti-development, but it finally got approved (there were a lot of issues, like dealing with increased police and ambulance calls, how to address the major traffic issues due to the location, fire issues since we all volunteer, etc.). They cleared the land, put in the stone entranceway and then pretty much abandoned the project, according to one of the neighbors. Aside from the elderly not being able to sell their homes, their kids are less likely to be able to held them financially now as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here