Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Title 5 Previously Wrong

suzieque
10 years ago

Hi everyone -

I'm prepping my house for sale in the Spring. I decided to proactively get a Title 5 inspection (septic/cesspool). The good news is that that passed fine. The bad news is that we learned that the washing machine doesn't drain into the septic; cannot find (yet) where it does drain.

There are 2 Title 5s on the books from past times when the house sold, both of which said that the washer does drain into the septic. They clearly are wrong. The inspectors either didn't bother to check or they fibbed.

Now I'm up against problems (very old house). The washer drainage also needs to pass Title 5, and it hasn't been found yet. The inspector is going to look more, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has run into the before and whether I have any recourse against the inspector who passed it previously. That was about 14 years ago.

I'm not litigious, but gee ... inaccurate legal paperwork?

Any thoughts?

Comments (14)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I have never head of title 5 but here is new york state you get title insurance when you buy a home. Do you have title insurance? It protects you if there is something wrong with the title. If so, would not that insurance not be responsible? I don't know just thinking out loud here.

• rrah
    10 years ago

Although they both have the word, "title" in them, I suspect Title 5 inspections have absolutely nothing to to with title to the property and title insurance.

It seems to be a requirement for selling in MA.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry - I didn't realize that Title 5 is MA only. You're right, rrah.

Title 5 has to do with the septic system and regulations designed to protect the environment.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I would contact the state agency that certifies the septic companies and see if there is any action they can take through that channel. Fine for the company? Lose their certification?

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Can't you just hook up the washer to the septic and be done with it?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

If you want to know where it goes, underground pipe/conduit/wire tracers can be rented from places like United Rentals. They couple a signal from a transmitter onto the exposed part of the line in question, normally with an inductive clamp
    connection, and a separate handheld metal detector style receiver is
    used to sweep the ground to locate the line.

A waterproof RF emitter on a drain snake and the corresponding signal tracer would also work. This, sealed well in plastic, might work.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Wireless-Transmitter-Receivers-Locator/dp/B00547IVXM

A chunk of steel on the tip of the drain snake would show up with a metal detector.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ncrealestateguy, unfortunately it is not that easy. First we have to find the underground pipes in order to know where to access it. Then connecting them is expensive. What I am wondering is whether I may be able to recoup some from the previous company.

Lazygardens, I will mention that to the company I am using.

And chispa, I will do as you suggest.

Thank you all.

This post was edited by suzieque on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 15:33

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

14 years ago - forget it.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Why can't you just connect the dishwasher drain line to the drain line that comes off the sink?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I think its the clothes washer. Ours wasn't draining where it should have and we had to install a $250 pump. PITA to hook up.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it's the clothes washer.

The septic company is now going to dig a trench along the back where he thinks the dry well might be. If not ... ugh.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

You purchased a home where certain conditions presented as fact legally turned out to not be correct. I would not care how long ago it was I would pursue getting restitution if correcting the issue will cost you money. If you had known the truth about the how the washer was draining you could have made case for a lower purchase price to cover the cost of fixing it up to code.

• lkplatow
    10 years ago

Can't you forget about all the exterior piping and finding the dry well and just hook the washer output pipe to your interior plumbing -- the same lines that carry your sink drain water etc.? Seems to me that would be a whole lot easier than digging up your yard.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

I keep asking that same question, but the OP will not answer. There must be a reason.