Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjweisman

If you could ask a real estate agent only one question

cjweisman
10 years ago

If you were a home seller interviewing real estate agents to list your home and you could only ask them one question, what would you ask them to assess their expertise?

Comments (9)

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

If I could only ask them one question, I wouldn't use them.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

We asked, "why should we list with you?"

Then we sat back and let them answer. We listed with the person who answered that she would sell our house. She did. Within 2 days.

ML

• dabunch
    10 years ago

I would ask about his/her "networking circle" and how quickly they respond to calls or inquiries.

Anyone can list your house. You can list it yourself with a FSBO broker paying the buying agent 2-3%. Although, not ALL agents utilize all the possible websites to market your property. It costs money, so some scrimp, and therefore your house may show up only on the MLS and couple of other sites.

They all work hard, and all promise to sell your property. Some will claim that they have a buyer in order to get your listing...

To me, an agent who is liked in the community and one who has a lot of friends, and one who is active in the community has a larger buyer pool....friends of friends, fundraiser friends... They have to be responsible (answer calls promptly, keep their word), a go-getter, an outgoing person with PEEPS ;)

If you try to reach them and it takes a while for them to return your call, do NOT employ them. That tends to be more of an irresponsible personality.

• RooseveltL
    10 years ago

What technique or method would you use which you have seen other agents employ? And which technique/method would you never use common for other agents?

OR what was your toughest sell/purchase (elaborate)?
    I think the 2nd question is important and it would indicate their experience and how much fight they have on behalf of their client.

• scarlett2001
    10 years ago

I would ask their detailed marketing strategy in relation to the special needs of my property or neighborhood. We interviewed one who did nothing except list houses on the internet, no open houses for the public or realtors, no local newspaper ads, nothing else.

She also was not familiar with the neighborhood, which could also be your one question, how can they get realistic comps if they don't know the city?

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

"only listed the home on the internet"...
    That is the place where most serious buyers start their home search.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

Does the Realtor live in the neighborhood?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

how many of your listings have sold in the past year, and what was the average turn around time?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Where do they live? That's a great question, ryseryse. My agent lived in my neighborhood and loved it so much, she showed it off well.