Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darrin9310

Moving boxes , I've sold my home where is the best place to buy!!

darrin9310
12 years ago

I have checked around man their high Uhaul, storage places, I would like used boxes ,Free if possible but. I'm willing to pay for good ones. Any thoughts thanks

Comments (21)

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Join your local freecycle. People often offer moving boxes, or you can post a "wanted" ad for them. Go to freecycle.org for more info.

And congrats on selling your house!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

If you can't find enough used ones, new ones are cheaper at office supply stores than at U-Haul.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention that while most grocery stores tear down boxes immediately, they'll often save some out for you if you ask them.

• linsey79
    12 years ago

Hello there in the Atlanta area look up a little place called Georgia Green Box . com . They have lots of boxes their not free but their really cheap and they deliver .They did a great job for us 770 932 6320 is one of their numbers. Good Luck

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I buy those packs of cheap banker boxes at wal-mart or an office store. you'll still need some larger boxes for certain things, but those little banker's boxes are awesome. They're easy to handle, and small enough that you can't really overload them. Best thing is you just break them down and store them to use the next time. I have some that I have used to move three times.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

People are always giving them away on our local Craigslist also. If you have that available to you check there. As well as the suggestion about groceries, check also liquor stores.

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

I agree that smaller boxes are much better than larger ones, especially for moving books and heavy objects.

Freecycle has been awesome for me - I've gotten all my boxes and lots of clean packing material from people there. Also check the Craig's List free section - you can post there for free too.

• canuck_in_goal
    12 years ago

Got my boxes from Craigslist inthe "For Sale" section. Usually under the sub-forum, FREE or do a search! Or post an ad in the WANTED section

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

Liquor boxes are very sturdy & they're free at any liquor store.

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

Ask in the Wal-Mart meat section. They can usually tell you when they are unpacking meat and when to come pick them up. Depending upon the individual store, they will save them for you.

Craigslist is another possibility.

I know a few years ago, I moved into a house and gave as many as I could to the neighbor down the street that was moving out. I was happy to get rid of them. She was greatful to not have to buy them.

• booksandpages
    12 years ago

Book stores often have sturdy boxes in a variety of sizes. Call ahead and the employees would probably hold some for you.

• Fori
    12 years ago

If you have to buy new ones, Home Depot is about the cheapest for actual "moving boxes".

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

I got hundreds of boxes and shipping material for $40 from someone on Craigslist. You can do a search.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

Our local moving van locations give away their used boxes. Contact some to ask.

• camlan
    12 years ago

Check on Craigslist and Freecycle for boxes.

UHaul has a box exchange--go to the link below and type in "box exchange" and your area to see if anyone is offering free boxes from their earlier move. I got about 25 boxes that way for my latest move--I needed the wardrobe boxes and a lot of small boxes for books. I had to drive about 25 miles to get them, but they were free and in good condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: box exchange

• logic
    12 years ago

Liquor stores also seem to always have boxes on hand and they are sturdy,

Always check all previously used boxes for bugs...especially bedbugs.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

There is a reason that a standard 'book box' is only 1.5 cubic feet.

Load a 'bankers box' with books (or even fill it with paper) and try to lift it.

• chrisk327
    12 years ago

I just moved, my wife drove me crazy with collecting boxes, basically her family would give her any box they had or recieved stuff in the mail. Sounds great, but in reality, you have a mess of smaller and awkwardly shaped boxes.

I found it far easier for the bulk of items to go to Home Depot and buy boxes. medium boxes are great, small boxes work good for books etc. at around $1 a box it wasn't pricey and things stacked nice and easily

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

And unless you want some surprises at your new digs, make sure the boxes are roach and bedbug free.

• darrin9310
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the info. Did try Craigslist had a little luck ,but could not find enough for my move. Special thanks to (linsey79) since I do live in the Atlanta area I tried the Georgia Green box. Great service they had plenty of used moving boxes ,all for a buck or so and they delivered the next day for free. I am a fan and will recommend them to all in the Atlanta area. Again thanks to all who took the time to answer

Here is a link that might be useful: green moving boxes

• KevinWilson
    12 years ago

You can also check www.CharlestonMovingBoxes.com
    The boxes were delivered to my door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston Moving Boxes