Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edeevee

Getting More Feet in the Door, Part 2

edeevee
10 years ago

X-posted to Home Decorating. After receiving incredible help on this forum a few weeks ago we implemented a lot of your suggestions. Since then our street work is done, three houses on our street are now off the market (one sold, one rented, one just removed), our broker held an agent open house, and took new pictures. We've still only had four showings since mid-August.

I suspect the main reason is price. Our Realtor has said houses at our price level are just not moving right now - and I believe her. There are currently 20 houses for sale in our town that are within $10K of our home's price. The average days on market for them appears to be 90, but goes from 4 to 240. Our home has been for sale 107 days.

When I asked the Realtor about reducing the price, she felt we should wait until after the first of the year. I'm really not sure it would make much difference since there are more houses for sale at the lower end of our price range than at the higher end.

The only thing I feel I can do (besides removing the desk from the living room -- I know) is to make sure our online listing is as attractive as possible. That's where I need your help again.

Although the broker took new pictures, she left a lot of the old pictures on as well. I think some of them need removed. And, while I know for sure the one with the kitty litter box has to go, I'm not sure about some of the rest of them. Plus, she included TWO pictures of the desk that y'all hate and we still don't have a photo of eating area, grrr.

Could you please take a minute to look at our listing and suggest which pictures present our home in the best manner?

P.S. I'm linking to a different Realtor site since our agency's website isn't working properly (sigh).

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home

Comments (17)

• mjlb
    10 years ago

I would remove all the close-up shots, shots with light fixture in foreground, and vignette shots. Definitely add photo of eating area.

When you or your broker take photos, you do not need to think of it as a crime scene, where everything must remain where it was found. Feel free to move that large-scale chair out of the frame when taking your living room photo. You want to see the room, not the back of a chair.

The main improvement that I see (from my memory of your earlier photos) is that the desk looks much better without the bookcase. Well done.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

1,2 nice exterior
    3 Looks sad with umbrella down - like space is not being used - maybe putting it up or just taking it off would change that impression?
    4,5,6,7 - too many pictures with that wingback chair right smack in the middle - remove either chair or some of the other stuff so that chair can be moved to the side - want to see the room in its entirety and not so many of those darn chairs.
    9,11 - can that light fixture be removed, or if it's a swag just moved aside and held by someone while the picture is taken.
    12 - what is it? Some kind of controls for something? Can't read the print
    18, 19 - want to see more of the room - furniture, yes, but only in the context of how it fits in the room. I'm no expert - do you need a wider angle lens that gets more into the picture?
    26, 27 - just one wider angle shot of shower , not just small parts of it in multiple pics

• camlan
    10 years ago

Whoever took the pictures was taking a lot of pictures of things in the rooms, not the rooms themselves.

I'd get rid of the utility room picture (you already want this, I think), the pictures of things like the control panel for the stove and the electrical outlet (why on earth take pictures of those?), ones of just the desk (you aren't selling the desk), and probably the one with the water running in the sink in the bathroom--most people are going to assume that there's running water in the house; I don't think the pictures need to prove it.

And get rid of the old pictures of spaces where you have new pictures with the improvements made.

Does this agent really want to help you sell this house? The new pictures look much nicer. Better to have fewer, better pictures than lots of mediocre pictures.

• rrah
    10 years ago

From the link above I would get rid of the following photos: 2, 4, 5 (because the desk chair is in the way), 9, 11(because of the light fixture), 12 and 13 (What the heck!), maybe 14 because it shows the scratches in the wood in the opening, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23 (with the dresser it seems crowded), 26, 27, 28 (what is with the picture of a sink with water running?), maybe 29 and definitely 30.

Regarding the scratches in the opening between the kitchen and family room: try Old English Scratch Cover. They also make markers and waxy pencils to cover these scratches. I really notice those scratches in the photo.

I also might get rid of 3 or do a new photo. It appears as if the siding has some mildew/mold on it.

This post was edited by rrah on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 15:05

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I don't like the kitchen photos at all. The BS looks different in each photo. Is she still using her phone?

I would question if this is the right realtor for you. She doesn't know how to take quality photos. Also their website is down? How often does that happen.

You are getting good advise here which is the advise she should have been giving you all along.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Holy crap, those are some bad pics. Whose idea was it to take a photo of the sink with the water running?

If your real estate agent took the photos, you should fire him or her.

• azmom
    10 years ago

In your first thread, I commented "The photos on your link are more suitable for selling appliances, furniture and fixtures instead of house. They do not show rooms, house and flow. They leave no imagination."

I would give the same comments to your current listing... It is clear that you did not listen to the inputs others offered, instead, you have added more bad pictures to the bad ones you previously posted.

What graywings said I could not agree more. Whoever took these photos should get out of selling house business. As the seller, how in the world you would allow your realtor to post these photos?

This post was edited by azmom on Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 1:40

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I think others have covered the photos.

As for price - you want to be the best value among the competition so that buyers will choose your house over the other 20 or so for sale in your price range. This means they need to see they get more for their money when buying your house vs. any of the others.

How does your house compare to other houses in addition to price?
    - Floorplan, room sizes, and storage
    - Maintenance - ie how much work is needed to make it in tip top condition
    - updates
    - cleanliness - no dirt and grime, smells, or worn down carpet

The house looks really good from the front in the outside pic, but looks very cramped from the interior pictures although the bedrooms look better now.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

There are several articles on houzz.com about how to take real estate pictures ... have your agent read them. Showings sell, but it takes excellent pics to get those feet in the door.

She needs to bring in some supplemental lighting to get rid of the yellowish cast in the pics.

Instead of full-front with the driveway dominating, take a corner shot to put the drive in the rear of the picture.

Way too much furniture and clutter in almost every shot - as others have said, move it out of the shot. Yes, you will spend a while arranging and re-arranging the furniture.

You don't need shots of specific furniture - shot #18, for example would be fine if you were selling the stuff on Craigslist, but I'm buying the house, not the desk.

What is that alien space-ship in the foreground of shot #9?

• kats_meow
    10 years ago

3 - Get rid of. Adds nothing and makes house look bleak

4 - Get rid of - the broader view photos of 5 and 6 are better

5 - Take the armchair out and then take the picture (you can move it back in after the picture is taken . On 5 move the desk chair back out of view.

6 - Get rid of

8 is blurry. Redo

9 - Is that a light fixture hanging down? Horrible picture

10 - not very sharp. Reodo, move stuff off the counters, particularly on the right.

11 - Why is there a photo focusing on the kind of ugly light fixture? Get rid of. Retake without the view of the fixture. Remove sugar and other stuff on sink or to the right of sink (again, you can move this stuff back later if you want)

12 - Get rid of, don't know what it is or why it is here

13 - If this is meant to be a close up of the back splash this isn't a very good one

14 - This seems to show off scratches on the pass through. Redo or get rid of

15 - Doesn't do much for me. It is OK to have the photo but I would remove the toiletries to the left of the faucets

16 - Is this the same sink as in 15? If so I can't tell if the counter is beige or gray? I like the stuff on the counters better though. Would prefer a wider angle of view

17 - I would keep this one instead of 15 or 16

18, 19 - Get rid of. No one cares about a desk they won't be buying

20, 21 - Needs to go

23 - too dark, chest on right makes room look small - take it out for the photo

26, 27 - Take a wider angle of view photo. The stuff in the shower is not so amazing that it needs a closeup

28 - Bizarre picture

30 - Needs to go

Your agent has no clue how to do photos. I don't usually think it is needed but hire someone experienced with real estate photos to do you your photos

• suzieque
    10 years ago

edeevee, I'm sorry to add to the negativity around your photos, but I have to agree - they're horrible. I'm in the market for a new house, and I wouldn't go anywhere near yours once I saw those pictures.

I concur with the advice given to get a new realtor. One who knows what's important.

• hayden2
    10 years ago

Edeevee, are we being fair to criticize your realtor exclusively? We all told you the scratches on the wood on that pass-through between the den and kitchen was distracting. We told you about a fix that would cost a couple of bucks and take 2 minutes. But there is still a picture with the scratches. Why?

We all suggested you move the piece of furniture with the plant that sits in front of the glass door to the back door. But it's still there.
    I don't understand this.

• camlan
    10 years ago

In the earlier thread with the same title, Edeevee says that she repaired the wood on the pass-through and removed the plant stand from the living room.

It appears that her agent didn't take pictures of those areas. Or just didn't put the new pics online. That earlier thread has several references to Edeevee wanting the cat box picture removed, but that hasn't happened, either.

How difficult would it be to fire this agent and get a new one?

• hayden2
    10 years ago

Ah, camlan, that explains it. Thanks.

Edeevee, it appears you are not being well represented.

• edeevee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, guys, Thanksgiving got a little busier than I thought. First it was just going to be the two of us, then three, then five, then seven, and hosting another dinner tonight. Whew! If I could get that many people to come and look at my house every day or two, it would probably be sold by now, lol.

And yes, I have removed the plant stand, and the shelves next to the desk, and photos and art, and other lah-di-dahs. I did repair the pass through. I found new nightstands for the blue bedroom too -- and purchased a more colorful shower curtain and new towels.

Most of the pictures in the listing are old ones. I do not understand why our Realtor didn't take them down (along with the cat box photo) when the new pictures were taken.

In my her defense: She really is the best one in town. She has more listings and more sales than anyone else. She's been doing it longer. She is extraordinarily personable and between her large extended family and her other affiliations, she is very well connected in the area.

I think she knows the market too, at least here. I do think her agency is behind the times on technology -- but no more so than other real estate firms in our part of the state.

As for the photos, yeah, I think most of them don't do much to entice buyers - but I have to defend her in that too. Our pictures are actually better than a lot of others I've seen.

For instance, in the listing for the most expensive home for sale in our area every single photo is blurry and pixelated. And then there's the one I'm linking.

At $147,000, it is in the above average price range for our town. It's in a nice newer development. I understand that a Realtor can't work miracles; they can only sell what is for sale ... but really? They couldn't move the vaccuum cleaner, the can of Lysol or the roll of toilet paper?

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, just that things are different here. If I give our Realtor very specific instructions about which photos to keep and which ones to ditch - she will do as I ask. She might secretly roll her eyes and swear under her breath about 'big city ways', but she'll do it.

So thank you, thank you for taking the time to provide your opinions and guidance. I'll let you know if traffic picks up.

Here is a link that might be useful: How People Sell Homes in Fly Over Country

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

I hear you Edee - as part of my research for next purchase been looking at listings of houses in more rural SW Wisconsin and it's really maddening - a few blurry shots of the corners of rooms (where two walls and ceiling meets) is not very helpful! One I found last night had a couple exterior shots of an intriguing ca 1913 brick house, no interior shots at all, and about 10 of the big ugly metal shed in the back yard shot from every conceivable angle inside and out. Sometimes Ive emailed the agents to ask for more pics but have rarely gotten a response.

I don't know what the problem is - I would think the new technology would be embraced in places where people have to drive some distance to go anywhere. Maybe they think that in a small town everyone's already seen the inside of each other's houses? Or maybe the Creative Class types (who are more visually oriented and know how to take good pictures) have all up and left for more urban areas- LOL!

This post was edited by kashka_kat on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 14:04

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

As for the photos, yeah, I think most of them don't do much to entice buyers - but I have to defend her in that too. Our pictures are actually better than a lot of others I've seen.

Yes, but imagine how much better they could be. Maybe she needs to find a better photographer to work with, and to have someone in her office take care of making the listings outstanding, not just better than the ones

You may be in "fly-over country", but the people looking for houses there are not necessarily in fly-over country and they are expecting the sort of listings they are used to in their own areas.

It takes very little more effort to take good photos than bad ones, and it's just as easy to upload good ones as bad ones.