Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Adding addition to smaller home in neighborhood of larger homes

rockybird
9 years ago

My house is really not small. To be honest, it's the right size for me. It is 3880 sq. ft. Many of the homes in my neighborhood are huge. The two across the street are 6000 and 8000 sq ft. The one two doors down is 14k sq. ft. There are also a few 2500 sq foot ranch homes here and there.

I am torn on whether to add a ma bedroom/ma bath addition. My house is older - 1958, but the architect is well known. I have gutted and rewired the house, new roof, new 60 ft. lap pool, but it still appraised last year at 300 sq/ft. whereas the larger homes have sold for 450/sq. foot and up. These are newer homes, so maybe that is why?

There is a piece of property in front of the pool with amazing views of the city in the front and views of the mtn. in the back. The addition would be walls of glass on these two sides, much like the house is.

Advantages:
-Large ma bath and closet.Current ma bath area does not have space for closet/bath that I would like or that neighborhood dictates.
- Privacy and solitude. Current ma bedroom faces road and can be loud from traffic. Cannot open curtains to see view because there is no privacy. New bedroom would be private and set back from road.
-Bedroom would be in front of spa and pool.
-Views
-Square footage would increase to that of the neighborhood.

Disadvantages
-cost
-increased taxes
-increased electric bill
-may be required by city to abandon septic tank for city sewer.
-more space than I need

I need to make a decision as I dont want to put the money into gutting and redoing the master bath and closet if it will become a guest room. Unfortunately, my ma bath is currently barely functional (which may have affected appraisal).

In a neighborhood of larger homes, would an addition make sense? I had two architects look at the space and they think I should do it. It would make me feel better knowing that it would add to the value of my home. Thank you.

Comments (31)

• hollynla
    9 years ago

If you are looking to add value to your house, square footage is the way to go, especially since you are so much smaller than neighboring homes. But wow, you must be in California for that square footage price!

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

From my perspective, the advantages so far outweigh the disadvantages that there's no question I'd go forward with the addition if I were in your shoes.

The only disadvantage that gives me pause is "cost". If your savings account and budget will be seriously strained by this project or the resulting tax increase, you shouldn't do it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would think a quiet, private, spacious bedroom would come before a pool.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your opinions.

hollynla - Your opinion really helps. :) I had thought people would be against the addition.

Jewel654 - I could financially start right away if I hadnt begun a huge landscape project. Luckily, the landscaping isnt planned yet for the area of the addition. It is an awkward part of the property. A huge ugly electical line comes into the house interfering with the views from the pool. Putting the addition in would allow me to run the line into the addition where it is not visible. The project would have to wait a year, which is probably how long it would take to get everything in order - permits, plans, etc. I think the property taxes might go up $200 a mo. looking at other homes in the area. In the grand scheme of things, I dont think that's a big deal.

mayflower - I moved in three years ago. The house seemed perfect to me after I made it liveable. The master bath and ma closet are 300 sq. ft. combined. But I cannot find a way to make the layout work. I even hire a different architect and the only way he could make it work is to bump the bedroom walls out into the living room, which I dont want to do.

I dont know if I became sensitized to the noise but it bothers me now. It is better now that my neighbor with the LOUD ferrari and monster trucks moved out, but all the construction trucks use my road to access the homes up the mountain. It seems everyone is doing construction. There is even a multi million dollar home going up two homes down. We are now on year THREE of the construction noise. I think that most people sleeping in the bedroom would not be bothered, but I am. Also, a pool was already here when I bought the house. The pool had not had water in it for over ten yrs. I couldnt stand to look at it and put in the lap pool (prematurely I think). However, the pool and spa will actually be in front of the addition, if I go ahead with it.

I am still thinking about what to do. Between the landscaping, addition, and finishing the house, it will all be expensive...but it seems like the right thing to do. I had convinced myself not to do the addition until the architects came by last week and made me double think it.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You need to ask, what are its true comps AFTER the addition? And, does it still pay for itself then?

If not, then it won't be worth doing.

If you'll add 300sqft, to gain 90k, but spend 75k to do it, will it be worth it to you?

Or, will the house still be a 1958 home, and be considered a tear down later for larger (huge) new homes to be built?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kirkhall. That is a really good point. I am also worried about that. Also, my house only has 8 ft. ceilings. I dont know if that hurts the value.

It was built by a locally famous architect. I think it would sell to someone who appreciates mcm architecture. It was in a mcm tour this year and I heard a lot of compliments on the home. I truly dont know what to do, but I dont want to move forward with finishing the remodel until I have this decided. If I do the addition, it would allow me to do some really cool things with the space.

If the addition is $165/sq ft. and my current appraised value is at 309/sq ft., I would think I should be okay.

But I truly dont know what to do.

Here is a pic of the house, if that helps. The addition would be in the back, not visible from the road.

This is the back. The addition would be to the left, in front of the pool (not visible).

Addition would go where the electric cable is coming in. Pool is being resurfaced and landscaping and new hardscape going in. In front, there are views of the city.

This post was edited by rockybird on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 10:29

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Would this be in the Palm Springs area? Regardless of that, this seems to be a special situation where talking with a Realtor for the area would be paramount as far as values are concerned.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

What will it do to the interior spaces of the house? It seems like the rooms are intended to be mostly glass on two sides in the public parts and at least one glass wall in the private rooms. Does an addition cut anything off from the outside or affect the intention of the spaces that will be internal because of the addition?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Not just any realtor, but one who specializes in MCM houses in your area.

Good luck.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

rockybird, you must be familiar with this site, but just in case you're not..... If I were you, I'd talk to a realtor specializing in architectural gems.

As the inventory of MCM homes diminishes (due mostly to clueless people with McMansion fetishes), their value will only increase. I don't think you should worry that your house will become a tear-down; I think you should focus on what's important to you. Do you plan to live there a long time? Did you buy it as a stepping stone to another house? Do you see an end to the construction/noise problem? Are you sure the addition would solve that problem?

If you have a sketch of the potential addition, why not take it downtown to Planning to see what changes may be necessary. Having to move - or give up the septic system - could be extremely expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwell MCM

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys! I have followed a lot of your suggestions already. But I eventually abandoned the idea. I had two realtors who sell mcm homes look at the area for an addition and they thought it was a good idea. They sell a lot of homes by this same architect.

I also had an architect tell me that if we can prove the septic tank can handle the additional fixtures, we wouldnt have to hook up to the city sewer. I also heard it will cost 10-20k to do hook up to the city sewer.

Pamplisest, you are correct. Behind the room with the clocks in the second pic are three bedrooms. Each room has a 6 foot slider or a 6 foot window. We would blow out the back corner bedroom. It would not be visible from the road and is actually on the ugly side of the house.

I spoke to the architects today and they said they were thinking of only a 500 sq foot addition. I think that would be enough space with the added square footage of the bedroom.

I am stuck. I dont want to do anything further on this house until I have made up my mind. I guess I have some time to think about it - a couple mos. - as I want to make some progress on landscaping before I move forward.

• alisonn
    9 years ago

If you really want to do it (quality of life issue) AND you can afford it, I say go for it.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I think whatever you do will look great and be appropriate.

Just a thought, rocky - in my area, typical city dwellers would likely much prefer to be on city sewer and water. I'm thinking of my husband's family, all very well to do people. They would not want the "hassle" of septic, maintenance- or liability-wise - and to them a modern home would absolutely include city hookups. So depending on how people feel about this in your area, this may be an easy way to increase your home's value and remove a maintenance/liability headache for you.

They would all also appreciate a modern, luxurious master suite. My personal preference for myself is less home to worry about and maintain, but I live in a mansion compared to some of my friends anyway, so we all have different touchpoints.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 11:43

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks robotropolis and alisonn. I personally would not be adverse to connecting to the city sewer system, depending on cost. Otherwise I have city water.

I called the city today to find out about setbacks. I will have to measure when I have time, but it looks there may be just enough room for a 500-600 sq foot addition. If I cannot utilize the guest bedroom space, would 500 sq feet be enough space for a ma bedroom, bath and closet?

Robotropolis, would your relatives mind 8 foot ceilings? I know my parents, who love mcm and do fairly well financially would not mind them.

Thank you again! I'm still thinking about it. I woke up this AM and Mon AM to loud bulldozer noises from the house across the street. I am working late hours and really needed to sleep longer. :(

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

They're into mcMansion style. That said their bedrooms are only...maybe...8.5, 9 feet tall.

My suite's only 300sf and poorly laid out, I find it tight. If I had an extra 200 I'd throw it all on closets and bathroom, that's a personal choice though. Perhaps separate closets if you're thinking of future buyers. I'd donate at least one pinkie for my husband to have his own.

Ps you might enjoy this houzz tour, different climate but I think they put a breezeway to the master.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Master suite addition to Oglesby in Dallas[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-seamlessly-updating-an-oglesby-in-dallas-stsetivw-vs~26879198)

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 22:18

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

Improving it just means you're trying to compete with the newer homes and to be honest, if your house is older, you'll never be able to compete with them. You'll still be valued about the same. There's a limit I was told by someone that you need at least 1/4 land to the house measurements? You will lose land space which could deter future buyers. Everyone wants a master suite and everyone wants a huge back yard for a pool, kids to play, dogs to run etc. So if you have a small property to begin with and don't need the space, don't do it! Unlike myself who feels I need more space at least one bedroom and bath and closet and another 2' in my dining room! Hah! I'll switch...;)

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

PS to the person posting the appraised value. That's nearly irrelevant when selling. It's the assessed value and comps that matter. If yours is unique and no comps, the determining factor will be assessed value. They can appraise your house at a million dollars. But if your house is assessed at 200 thousand, a buyer will not pay more than the assessed value. You also can get several different appraisers in and get several different appraisals. But there is only one assessed value. ;)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

robotropolis, I LOVE THAT HOME. Thank you so much for posting it. It makes me feel so much better to see how they redid it, while keeping some of it the same. I see that they have high ceilings. I looked at raising my ceilings, but it would interfere with the architecture, plus I just put a new roof on. :(

Thanks dahoov2. Those are good points. The property is an acre, so the home is a very small footprint.

Unfortunately, the house was assessed at 1.1 million as is, so my taxes are going up next year.

I have to really decide what to do here. I have the driveway partly torn up. They left me a space to drive on for now, but are expecting to come back to remove the remainder. They have torn up all the patio surfaces. There is easy access to the back currently where the addition would go. It would be stupid to build the block fence. I cant live with the all dirt as is. I guess I could do limited plantings and install the concrete in limited areas, not finish the driveway and not install the block wall. This would be the opportune time to move forward.

I spoke to the city and they said they doubted that the they would make me hook up to the city sewage for one bath. He also said since I am deleting a bar faucet, that would help. It turns out that the city sewer is close to the house, so I wonder if it would be worth hooking up to.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

Most municipalities determine the size of the septic field based off of the # of bedrooms, not the # of baths.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Dahoov - I think you are mixing up appraised value and assessed value. The assessed value is the value that your property tax is based on. Your appraised value is an estimate of your homes actual worth on the open market. You cannot get financing if the house does not appraise at or near the selling price.

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

"I am stuck. I dont want to do anything further on this house until I have made up my mind. I guess I have some time to think about it - a couple mos. - as I want to make some progress on landscaping before I move forward."

Do you like the plans the architect has produced so far? If you aren't sure, then why not get another opinion? We found out about this lady 10 yrs ago, and she has been helpful to us several times throughout the years. She doesn't live that far from you. Besides, it doesn't cost anything to ask.

A link that might be useful:

http://fengshuisolutions.net/design-phase-projects/

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ncrealestate- what you say makes more sense, but the city offices have told me more than once it's no. of bathrooms.

Thanks dreamgarden - I will look at the link. I do have conceptual plans from two different architects. One does not abide by the setbacks and the other does not take advantage of the views. I think a combination of the two plans might work.

I am still considering what to do. I going to spend the weekend playing with the plans and mapping out the costs to remodel the ma bath as is vs the addtion in detail.

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

Rockybird, it sounds like your two architects have different ideas.

Perhaps the hesitation you are feeling is your gut telling you that they haven't come up with the right idea yet?

Please google: 'feng shui plans for additions' for some ideas. Good luck!

Here is another example that might be useful:

Feng Shui Life - Dr Eisenkop - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2SkzVPfUQ

• shannonaz
    9 years ago

I don't know if this helps BUT we bought a MCM-ish house on an acre 2.5 years ago. The house was designed and built by a non-renowned architect in the early 60s. It is 4600 square feet. Out of the 10 or so houses on our street, a couple are smaller, most are the same and a couple are more like 6000-7000. Most people thought of the house we bought as a tear--down. We are just finishing up a to-the-studs remodel. We haven't changed the exterior much at all.

We love lower ceilings. I would never buy a house with high ceilings. I especially would dislike an addition with too-high ceilings. 9' is good. We have a butterfly roof so part of our ceiling is 11'6" and I was really stressed about it. I'm only okay with it because it's mostly in public/non-bedroom area and at least some of the ceiling in our house is low.

We would have loved a house in the 3500sq ft range. I think it's very very desirable. Add-on if it would increase your happiness while you live there, though. I will say that if you are interested in resale, many purists would have a problem with the addition no matter what you choose unless you are super super consistent with the rest of the house and what the original architect would do.

We met with four architects. I would encourage you to meet with more architects! You never know, the right idea could really clarify things for you!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dreamgarden and Shannon.

Shannon, I wonder if we live in the same town. Are you in Phoenix?

I would be interested to know who you used for architects, if so.

This house is the perfect size for me and I dont want to sell the house. It would, however, solve some problems if the master was on the other side of the house. I am still thinking about it. I may hold off on some landscaping to give me time to think about it. Thank you for the feedback on the ceilings!

Dreamgarden, thank you for the feng shui links! I watched the video - beautiful home. I will definitely keep feng shui in mind as I move forward with the remodel.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I live down the hill from you and know the area well. I'd do the addition. You'll never lose money on it in that neighborhood. I usually am a small house nazi but that makes no sense in you case, just stick to the architecture.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you rgps. That is very helpful, especially since you know the neighborhood.

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

"Dreamgarden, thank you for the feng shui links! I watched the video - beautiful home. I will definitely keep feng shui in mind as I move forward with the remodel."

Thanks! For what it is worth, for the next 20 yrs, houses that face South benefit from water placed in the SW. Supposed to be helpful for finances!

Please keep posting! You have a nice property and it will be fun to see what you decide to do.

A link that might be useful:

http://www.fengshuibestbuy.com/water.html

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

DON'T do this thinking you will make a profit out of it. That's mostly a myth. Studies show most home renovations don't pay for themselves. I can't help but think that changing a house with a famous architect would lose you as many potential buyers as it would gain. Think about what *YOU* want and *YOU* need...and how long you plan on being there.

In most areas, assessed values have far less to do with price them appraised values.

If I did an addition I'd be tempted to put in a two story addition to take advantage of the views and distance you from the road noise...but that would totally mess up the look.

Have you thought of sound proofing or a basement bedroom to deal with the road noise problem?

What are the disadvantages of going to local sewer?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dreamgarden-thank you for the tip! I am in the process of landscaping so will look at putting water in the sw corner. I will definitely keep you updated.

Thanks edlincoln. I have no plans to sell the house. Even if I had to relocate, I would rent it and hope to return to it to retire.

The only thing I can do to soundproof the ma br is to build a block wall in front of the patio that will go in front. The landscape plans have this built in, also for privacy. Otherwise the room is almost all glass, except for a red rock wall of about 8 ft. wide. I will say that since my neighbor moved out with all of his loud vehicles, things have improved.

There is no disadvantage to hooking up to the city sewer other than cost. I suspect I will do this eventually regardless.

If I do the addition, I would definitely conform to the house architecture.

I think I will finish the landscaping and see how things look then.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You might find this of interest...

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodeling ROI