Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FSBO Negotiating a Buyer's Agent Commission

Posted by norfy (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 19:39

Hello,

I've read through many of the FSBO threads but am a bit unclear on the advantages / disadvantages and mechanics of negotiating a buyer's agent's commission.

My question is: should the seller agree to a commission percentage for buyer's agents upfront, or negotiate this at some point down the line (such as when you have an offer?)

Some threads seem to suggest that you offer a straightforward % upfront to all interested buyer's agents to expand the market for your listing - typically 1 -3% - no matter who the buyer, what the offer.

It would seem to me to make more sense to provide the range, then negotiate the exact amount later depending on the offer. That said, I can see why this might discourage agents from even showing. Also if you went the negotiate-later route, when exactly would you negotiate the percentage? And are agents worried that sellers will burn them since if it's at a later point in the sales process, then they will have less leverage?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FSBO Negotiating a Buyer's Agent Commission

I don't know any agent that would go into a deal not knowing what they were getting paid. If I have a buyer that sees a FSBO that they would like to see, I will approach the FSBO seller and negotiate, in writing, a fee if the deal closes.

o

Definitely make it clear up front. And advertise it that way or let them know if they call.

o

I agree with NCREG, get it arranged upfront, that is what any good agent wants.

o

Got it - thanks very much for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here