Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone have experience with a loma from fema

Posted by loves2read (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 18:33

We applied and were granted a LOMA a couple of years ago when FEMA sent out new flood maps in our area and said that our house's garage fell into the new flood plain...
FEMA did this without any on ground survey or even any flyover--
it was in response to some flooding in our areas a couple of years before when some homes suffered damage from creeks eroding their property and one person was killed when a mobil home park was not warned/evacuated in time...
ALL of that happened away from our neighborhood...

Anyway
we had certificate of elevation done and sent off and the LOMA removed the requirement

Now we are selling that house and can't locate the LOMA letter info...
I know--really stupid--
The survey company who did the LOMA submission won't just make us a copy...

Does anyone know if FEMA will give us a copy?
They are closed at this time and can't get anyone until Monday...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone have experience with a loma from fema

If you don't have any luck with FEMA, your local municipality should have the documentation on file and it is public information.

o

That info is not filed locally--unless FEMA sent info to our city
we paid to have the survey company do an elevation certificate and the LOMA filing--it wasn't cheap
we sent the info to our bank/mortgage company because they had gotten FEMA notice initially and notified us...
We pursued that LOMA to avoid having to take out flood insurance as well as the negative perception when you sell your house...

We did find the LOMA info--was in file folder (unmarked) on my husband's desk...which is not how I remember finding it...so think he transferred the info to folder and didn't mark it...
Very scary and glad to have it...

o

I made lots of copies of our LOMA! One is in the safe deposit box even.
I took a copy to the county too.

o

That is good suggedtion about copied
What county dept?

o

Your local municipality will have the latest flood plain map on file because they need it for a whole slew of various planning, permit and insurance purposes. If they don't have a document from FEMA that shows your home was removed from the flood plain, you might want to clue them in.

o

L2R,
Don't remmeber which office. Our county departments are all in one building and I just went in and they directed me to an office. They said it wasn't necessary, but I felt better about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here