Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (17)

• word_doc
    11 years ago

Well. The Sherwin Williams Chip It popup makes me feel rather stabby. It's not a good situation.

I would like one of those hover things where it gives you the first few lines of the post inside, and also it would be nice to have a "first unread" post.

I like that there are so many forums and their specificity. I love those people over on the decorating forum. They are SO HELPFUL with their input. I have never solicited any; I just like to read over there.

• khinmn92
    11 years ago

As above, the constant popups are very annoying!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

It would be nice to be able to edit a post.

It would be nice to have a "go to first unread post" function especially on the longer threads that we keep revisiting.

Being able to search by poster's name would be great.

I have no popups, so I'm good there :)

• cas66ragtop
    11 years ago

Even though I have a popup blocker, your system finds a way around that and I get popups anyway - very annoying. Even more annoying than the popups are the huge ads that appear just when you are about to pick from a pull down menu and you have to chase the menu all the way to the bottom of the screen and then you have to chase it back to the top.

The ability to edit or delete your own posts would also be nice.

We have no category relating to renting homes (whether you are a renter or a landlord) - so all the renting posts are put into the "buying and selling homes" category.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

Tamara,
    Need to be able to quote a previous post, need a "my threads" icon, where one can go to only see the threads that the person has posted to, need to be able to post w/o having to preview, need to be able to edit a post, and so on.
    Really, if I were you, I would just register at a random forum, like rcgroups.com and see exactly what GW should offer. Would only take a few minutes of your time.
    Also, the pop ups are really annoying and now I see, and hear, that some of them now include audio... the last thing an end user wants is a loud, obnoxious advertisement that interrupts an entire office and gives away the fact that a person is surfing GW as opposed to working.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

How about a button on posts that says "report as spam" that sends the thread to the GW inbox for processing/editing/deleting? Right now, it takes several steps to accomplish that.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

"How about a button on posts that says "report as spam" that sends the thread to the GW inbox for processing/editing/deleting? Right now, it takes several steps to accomplish that."

How about if a certain number of people mark it as spam it is automatically removed?

• kats_meow
    11 years ago

I've followed these forums for years. I like the content. However, the format is either unique or so antiquated I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I would rather see a more traditional forum structure - as someone mentioned go to just about any other forum on the internet to see what we mean.

I certainly agree about wanting to be able to edit and delete posts.

There needs to be some sort of moderation for posts that are clearly spam or against the rules or ideally even misplaced posts that belong in another forum. Also perhaps be able to close posts so that you don't have people responding to questions that are 6 years old, etc.

• biochem101
    11 years ago

"Also perhaps be able to close posts so that you don't have people responding to questions that are 6 years old, etc."

Yes! Bringing old posts back up to the top for no good reason is annoying and it's been happening a lot lately.
    People replying to long-gone posters and their long-resolved issues is just silly.

It's fine to read the old post and be able to get info/learn from it, but there should be a mechanism to keep people from adding to it.
    Other forums will say: this post is closed for comments. It can be found and read, but not added to.

What about smile faces? Sometimes it is helpful to be able to add a smile to show you are "friendly".

;D

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

"We have no category relating to renting homes (whether you are a renter or a landlord) - so all the renting posts are put into the "buying and selling homes" category."

Good point. In addition to a thread for Renting homes (or other types of properties besides Apts), we need a thread for 'Interior design'. Remodeling areas besides just Kitchens, Bathrooms, etc.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

OK GW. I just opened up 5 posts and EVERY single time that I went to go back to the main page, that Pop Up ad for paint came up. It is very rude to treat your users this way!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Agreed... I've never had to use an ad blocker (usually my popup blocker was enough). but, not on this site. Then, I read in the Kitchens forum about Ad Block and had to install it.
    Ridiculous! Never was a site so littered with annoying ads (that open window upon window of background ads).

I would never use this site on my phone. It would cost me too much.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

Would be nice to be able to upload a photo directly from my pc, rather than first uploading it to tinypic or similar. (Houzz.com allows this.)

• kelhuck
    11 years ago

How about a "thumbs up" button or something. A lot of times I agree with something a person has posted, but don't want to type up a response (and litter a thread) just to say so. A "thumbs up" would be a quick and easy way to agree. (And the people who give a "thumbs up" could be identified by hovering over the TU button, so it's not completely anonymous.)

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

How about an icon where I can go to only see the threads that I have posted to. Make it so that I can unsubscribe to a thread if I want.
    Were not we asked for feedback about 12 months or so ago?

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• cas66ragtop
    11 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by cas66ragtop on Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 10:32