Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closing question

Posted by mooie (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 13:36

I recently accepted an offer on my home from out of state buyers. They were wondering if it is possible to close on the property without being here. They live on the East Coast and I'm in the midwest. There is no real estate agent involved to advise me. Thanks for your help!

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closing question

Both of you need RE lawyers to do it properly. They're the ones who do the checks you need done to be sure everything's in order on both ends re money, possible liens on the propt'y, any possible conflicts re surveys of where propt'y begins and ends, etc. etc. It's really not like buying a book - you (and especially they) need professional help so there won't be any problems in future.

o

Just want to say congrats! Hope this goes through.
How do you like the new house? I assume you're in it by now?

o

We have purchased 3 properties in Arizona while living in Washington. There were no problems. The Title Co. took care of everything.

o

Personally for me I would want the buyers to make at least one visit to the house. Lawyers yes! Get everything in writing. Financing? Good? Secure?? Their credit==excellent??
To me lots of questions and by not seeing the people it is hard to make decisions so I would not get "hurt" financially. What amount are you talking about and what kind of property?
I do wish you the best, but do protect yourself.

o

We purchased our Arizona home while we were living in Michigan. Our Realtor ( in Az.) and the title co. took care of everything. It was a breeze. The closing papers came to us via Fed Ex. All the other correspondence was done by Fax & phone. We had no problems at all.

o
RE: Closing questionupdate

Went back and read your other postings--is this the same lady from NY that has seen the place? That would make a difference, but you still need a lawyer and/or title co.

o

How is closings normally done in your area?

Is it done using a title company or by using lawyers?

If a title company they can handle all that and if lawyers the same thing.

We've signed papers using Fedex a few days before closing and then the other party signed at the closing.

o

mariend, the wife has been thru the house twice, both lengthy visits. No problem there. She says the house has good bones. And yes, this is the same lady from NY. She and her husband grew up here and have known this house since childhood. They wish to retire back home.

lyfia,
it can be handled either way, lawyer or trust co. Both of my dealings have been with the trust co. thru an agent. Since there is no agent involved here, I called the lawyer to have him do things for me. His charge isn't that high, but I doubt the trust co. does it much cheaper. They will take care of all the earnest money and downpayment for me til closing cuz I sure didn't know what to do with it! lol! Not that my kitchen cabinet isn't quite safe! : ) Thanks for all the conversation. Boy I just never quit learning!

teresa

o

Our last 2 closings were a bit different. The title Co. in AZ hired a notary up here who came to our house and we signed all the documents electronically on-line. We also followed up with signed hard copies that were sent by Fed Ex. The money was wired through our bank to the title co.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here