Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
choochnbob

essentials of selling successfully

choochnbob
14 years ago

Well our house has been on the market for a month and a half and we need to increase activity and get a buyer so I''d like to tell you all what we've done so far and hope someone can point us in the direction of additional things we should be doing to actually get it sold. Our dream house awaits us...hopefully!

We had 3 popular local realtors out to do market comp analysis and all said we should list btwn 375-380K. We listed with a broker from a national RE company at 379,900. We are on MLS and on Craigslist and have a virtual tour linked from both MLS and Craigslist. We had an Agent OPen house when it was initially put on market and feedback was very positive in terms of decorating, cleanliness and price. Average time in our area from listing to selling similar properties is 11 months. We don't have 11 months since we have found the home we want to buy and those sellers are anxious to move as well. We have had 1 open house that was advertized on MLS and Craigslist where only one couple came. We have had a total of 3 showings (realtor says that's actually good for our area) , where one couple came back for a second looksie. We have done a 15K price drop so we are now at $365,000. There are directional street signs leading to our house and a flyer box on the big for sale sign at the end of the driveway.It was advertised once in the local newspaper. We do get the reports of internet activity- ie page hits and clicks- emailed weekly from our realtor and I don't think they look that promising. People looking but not clicking on or emailing the listing from what I can tell.

We are scheduled for an open house mid-November that will also be listed on MLS and Craigslist. I doubt our realtor wants to pay for newspaper advertising but we'd be willing to if it'll help. Does anyone think people read the newspapers for RE info or is it all internet at this point? The other thing we are planning on is another price drop following the open house but were thinking of bringing it to $355 or $360. The sellers of the property we are interested in purchasing are getting antsy so we are now wondering if $349,900 is a better figure to drop to in order to drop below $350,000 and get into a lower price point for internet searches. That really is our low price point, leaving a little wiggle room for negotiations so we are not sure if we should go that low all at once or break it into 2 smaller price drops over time. We are also considering hiring a photographer to shoot photos for uploading onto MLS and craigslist. The photos on there are ok, not great in terms of lighting and perhaps a different lens can show the rooms better. According to our realtor we don't need a staging person. We are not sure what to do at this point so we'd greatly appreciate anyone's ideas. Thanks for reading!

Comments (4)