Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

New realtor dot com sucks - recommend another search site?

jenswrens
15 years ago

I really really dislike the new format of realtor dot com. Anyone else?

Now there does not seem to be an advanced search section. When I am searching for property, I have specific requirements such as a minimum acre size, waterfront or SFH. I cannot waste time drudging through hundreds of listings that have no land, are townhomes, multi-fam, etc. Now it seems the only criteria they offer you is # of bedrooms/# of baths. At least they still let you search by MLS#.

Can anyone recommend another good overall search site (not a local one as I often search in many different areas of the country) that allows me to put in additional criteria? Realtor dot com used to be pretty good, but I absolutely hate it now.

Actually my ideal search site would allow for advanced criteria but also have a map where I can draw a circle and say "search within this area" without having to know a zip code or town.

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, that's good. I was so put off by the new format that I didn't even look over to the side. I still think they should have a link on the front page for an advanced search, eliminating my having to run the search twice. And I still don't really like the new look, both on the homepage and within the search itself - plus it seems to take my computer much longer to load the pages now.

I'd also like to find a site that will let me search by circling a map... Oh well, maybe someday.

Thanks!

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

Well, if you can get the MLS search to work you're lucky.
    I've tried & tried, no luck :(

Hate it.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

jenswrens - I have the same issues. I typically want to search by acreage/lot size.
    The only thing I can suggest is checking each local real estate website one by one. Probably a waste of time but I dont know of any other national ones.
    In Omaha a large local, non franchised RE company, NP Dodge, had the map circle search feature and it was great. But that's the only one I've seen.

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha! You are right, roselvr! The MLS search doesn't work at all. And there's no contact email or feedback button or any way to tell anyone about that.

I say it again - the new version sucks!

(Maybe some realtor on this forum will see this and tell someone.)

• mjzman
    15 years ago

There may be sites from large regional real estate companies. In the west www.windermere.com has a nice map search engine that includes options for lot size, square footage, year of construction, etc. It seems to cover pretty much all mls real estate from Washington to Montana to California and Arizona.

• bushleague
    15 years ago

For once I find a format that is actually better than the previuos site. On some sites it become completely unavigable, like Morning*'s discussions.

• jojoco
    15 years ago

The fine print under the "for Realtors" section has an 800 #. As a realtor, I am getting used to the new site. I think the font is too techno looking, but that is small stuff. Because my broker paid Realtor.com to have our office "own" the featured listing page for our market, my clients' houses show up on the bottom of every single found page. Views on homes for my clients have gone up dramatically. So, I have to say, while I dislike the overall appeal personally, it is more beneficial to my clients.
    Jo

© Copyright NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® : Headquarters: 430 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611
    DC Office: 500 New Jersey Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20001-2020 I 1-800-874-6500

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks jojoco.

I found another national site that I think I really like - Trulia. Not only can you search for active listings (and by lot size!), you can also find sold homes in that same area. It gives you all kinds of stats about the local market and such. I wonder, though, how accurate and up to date that info is. It says no homes have sold in my area in the last 60 days; however, I know of a couple of homes that have sold recently or are at least pending.

Another site I found is homes dot com. It seems to be good and like realtor dot com sometimes gives addresses when local sites won't disclose the address - which I really appreciate.

Has anyone used Trulia? What are your thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Trulia

• jojoco
    15 years ago

The reason Realtor.com doesn't give an address is because the information is taken directly from the MLS and the listing agent hasn't checked the box to allow disclosing the address.
    If you sign up for yahoo.com, their real estate search engine will give you addresses most of the time.
    Trulia is a good site. People also like Zillow.com, but take zillows estimates with a huge grain of salt. They are often way off.
    Jo

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

Ugh. I work for a virtual tour company (realtors create virtual tours to add to listings), and the changes to realtor.com have been a pain in the butt for us -- they need to fix the MLS search fast!

As mentioned already, trulia.com and homes.com are two other major sites. Also, http://base.google.com is sometimes worth a search. Other sites that our company works with are oodle.com, vast.com, viewr.com, and hotpads.com -- although I don't think you're going to find the breadth of listings at those that you will at trulia or homes.com.

• Linda
    15 years ago

I have to agree, as a realtor, Im not crazy about the new set up on realtor.com either. I'm sending them the link to this forum, hopefully, they'll make another change. Doesnt seem to be working. You might want to try REMAX.com, its another search site that connects to all the local MLS systems.

• Linda
    15 years ago

Realtor.com's response

Thank you for contacting REALTOR.com(R) Customer Care.

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. We are happy to assist you in directing your suggestion to the appropriate department. While you may not hear back from us, please know that we are committed to responding to the needs of our customers and continually review our products and services in an effort to further improve REALTOR.com®. Your suggestions enable us to enhance our site and continue to provide users of REALTOR.com® with the #1 Online Real Estate experience.
    Sincerely,

Lacey Blizzard
    Resolution Representative
    http://REALTOR.com(R)

(We'll see)

• Linda
    15 years ago

Realtor.com's response

Thank you for contacting REALTOR.com(R) Customer Care.

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. We are happy to assist you in directing your suggestion to the appropriate department. While you may not hear back from us, please know that we are committed to responding to the needs of our customers and continually review our products and services in an effort to further improve REALTOR.com®. Your suggestions enable us to enhance our site and continue to provide users of REALTOR.com® with the #1 Online Real Estate experience.
    Sincerely,

Lacey Blizzard
    Resolution Representative
    http://REALTOR.com(R)

(We'll See)

• mary_md7
    15 years ago

Another thumbs down on the new format. It is hard to use and slower.

• neonrider
    15 years ago

Three thumbs down...

• almalena
    15 years ago

try ZipRealty.com - one of the best around!

• dabunch
    15 years ago

HATE the new Realtor.com.

It used to be one of the easiest. Now it's one of the worst. They need to go back to the original format.