Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_md7

Defining full bath

mary_md7
9 years ago

My Google search resulted in conflicting information.

Some results say a full bath has a toilet, at least one sink, and a tub or shower (or both).

Other results say a full bath much have a tub and shower, and one with a shower but no tub is a 3/4 bath. (Does this mean a tub only with no shower is also a 3/4?)

Comments (18)

• rrah
    9 years ago

This is a regional thing as far as a house listing goes and perhaps even for appraisals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Full and 1/2 bath discussion

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Agreed -- it's regional. In our current location, a sink/toilet/shower and/or tub is considered a full bath. In our former location, a shower only would be considered a 3/4 bath but one with a sink/toilet/tub would be considered a full bath.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

Here, a full bath means there IS a tub.
    Shower only = 3/4 bath.

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

Here in the North East a full bathroom is sink, toilet, shower and tub. The shower doesn't have to be a stand alone. It can be in the tub. But you have to have both. Shower only is a 3/4 as w p l stated. NancyLouise

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

We do not have the term 3/4 bath here in Charlotte, NC

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Here, 3/4 means shower, no tub. I never considered what a tub, no shower, would be?

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

My understanding has always been:
    1/2 bath is a toilet and sink.
    3/4 bath is a toilet, sink, shower
    4/4 (Full bath) is toilet, sink, shower, tub

Seems simple to me--maybe I'm not all hip to the lingo but when you do the "math", it seems pretty self explanatory.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Retired USN Submariner here... lived all over the country. The definition varies by locale.

I think 1/2 Bath is universal - toilet and sink.

Full bath, depending on locale, toilet, sink, and tub.

Full bath, depending on locale, toilet, sink, and shower.

3/4 Bath means toilet, sink, shower.

I see some says Full bath requires toilet, sink, shower, and tub. I'm not disagreeing, but just not seen that (yet.)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

And, 5 piece bath (just to make it more confusing in areas like ours where there is 3/4 bath different from a full bath, different from a 5 piece bath) is a bathroom with a tub, separate shower, toilet and 2 sinks.

Here, a 3/4 bath is sink, toilet, tub OR sink, toilet, shower

Full is considered sink (or 2), toilet, tub with shower.

Also complicating... some REA would call my 3/4 master bath a "full bath" because it has 2 sinks, toilet, and a real (2-headed) shower.

I'm in PNW--WA

• Linda
    9 years ago

Nancy Louise, its even more regional than that. I'm in the North East and in "my region", we don't have 3/4 baths. A bath with just a shower is considered a full bath. No tub is needed)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

So if you have two 3/4 baths, does that make you have a 1-1/2 bath house?

Also in the northeast where we don't use the term 3/4 bath.

• pooks1976
    9 years ago

I have never seen 3/4 used in a listing here. Baths are either full (includes a shower, tub, or both) or half.

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

Technically a full bath is tub, shower, sink and toilet (four pieces). The reason they don't call a bathroom 3/4 if it's missing a tub or sink is simply for listing purposes. If you will notice, software and MLS listings and all that don't even have half baths listed sometimes, never-the-less 3/4 baths. So sometimes you'll see it listed as one or two baths. Depending on how honest the relator is. Usually in the description, they'll say one plus a partial or something but still you rarely see 3/4. They should be more specific. That's why you always see on HGTV "what? No tub?" and people are surprised............................. so if you see something you like, ask the relator before you go if a tub is a must, if it's a true full bath.

• mary_md7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had not heard of 3/4 baths in home descriptions in my area ('burbs of DC). It appears that when we get around to selling (not for a couple of years), our home would be listed as 2 full baths (one with tub/shower combo, one with shower) and 2 half bath (powder rooms). Of course, we'd consult with our realtor when the time comes.

• Linda
    9 years ago

pixie lou, if you have two 3/4 baths in my region, you have two full baths. As long as you can bathe/shower, its considered a full bath.

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

Re: "only" 3/4 bath.

The idea that this is necessarily inferior to a so-called "full" bath is outdated.... in this era of spacious, luxury walk-in tiled showers. I'm planning to replace the awful, shallow, small tub and shower in one of the bathrooms with just such a shower.... and I will consider it a huge improvement. The tub as it is pretty useless unless you want to sit and soak your sore feet in it or something. Another bathroom in the house has a very large, deep porcelain claw tub but no shower.

Question: when it comes to appraisal, am I going to get dinged by these bathrooms not being considered "full"?

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

To Kashka; I agree that having a nice walk in shower trumps that old bathtub/shower combo kit... but if you are going to sell, you should keep at least one tub in the house. Reason for this is sometimes buyers have little ones, pets etc who need the bath. So although I'd love to make both baths here just be showers, I'm forcing myself to keep one tub. To Mary: a tub shower combo is considered full bath along with a 4 piece. It's just the ability to shower or use the tub that is what matters. I wonder what they call it if it has a bidet though! LOL

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

According to HUD specifications you only need a tub or shower, not both, for it to be bathroom: