Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trilobite_gw

Another reason for a price change.

trilobite
10 years ago

I was looking at local inventory yesterday and realized something interesting.

We all know lowering your price makes your house more attractive to the potential buyer. But in my local market, a relatively small price drop changes the market for your house.

My local market is extremely tight at the 175K-275K range. Most of what sits for any length of time is not appealing (small, very dated, terrible location). Anything halfway decent goes pretty quick.

In contrast, once you get in the high two hundreds/low three hundreds, there's lots of inventory, even at this time of year. The market really opens up.

Anyway, it had never occurred to me that a price drop could so dramatically expand your pool of prospective buyers, literally going from a pool of large inventory to a pool of small inventory. I think this may be an underappreciated aspect to price changes, at least in some markets. I know I've always casually assumed that that inventory looked something like a pyramid, with the greatest number of homes available being at the low end. But, my local inventory looks more like a bell curve. Just something to consider.

This post was edited by trilobite on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 12:17

Comments (2)