Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Good Neighbors

c9pilot
12 years ago

Things have been pretty rough on this board for the past few weeks, so I just wanted to put up a positive post for everyone.

Our neighbors moved in a couple of years ago and have two girls (we have two boys) and eventually we put a gate at the end of the fence so that we could run back and forth between our yards more easily, since we were using their pool until ours was built, and then they used our pool because they're having trouble keeping the chemicals straight (they're chlorine; we're salt, which is WAY easier to maintain, but that's for another forum). And we were always borrowing their grill and taking food to them or they were coming over to eat at our place.

And they are just as crazy as us! Right now they have a camper trailer in the driveway that they are completely gutting and renovating, so maybe they are just a tad bit crazier than us, us being four+ years into our home renovation.

Of course, we keep putting our stuff on hold for crazy projects like this:

From Drop Box

We tore down the fence and gate between our backyards (you can see the end of the white fence that we left up between the side yards) and built this fabbo tiki hut across the property line (we had the thatch professionally installed because it was the same price as doing it ourselves). We share the giant grill/rotisserie as well, it just happens to sit nicely on our old hot tub paver pad.

The RR ties across the middle are to keep the tortoise on our side - if you can see the small yellow hibiscus plant on the left edge of the photo, the tortoise is right next to a brick or something just to the right. He has to stay on our side because he can get under a couple of their other fences - we found him down the street after missing him a few days.

The dogs prefer to poop on their side of the yard, of course. The boys have to do poop patrol regularly anyway.

Right now there's a bunch of bananas hanging over their side of the fence and one on our side, but I'm not sure if they'll ripen in time before the cold stops them.

Our craziest project to date is the 1150 gal cistern that is under the coiled hose. You can see the one gutter downspout on the corner of our house, and they all feed into the cistern except the one in the front corner of the garage, of course. Just filled up last night with the light rain. We use it for filling the pool, watering plants, and washing the boats (I'm standing on the dock to take this picture).

The first thing everybody says is, "What are going to do if one of you moves or you get in a big fight?" I suppose we'll tackle that when the time comes. For now, that's a big joke and we were thinking about throwing a "big fight" party and inviting everyone on Facebook.

Best wishes to all who are moving and/or having neighbors moving, that you can have neighbors willing to help build something like this to share!

Comments (20)

• cas66ragtop
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thats great you and your neighbors get along so well. Thats the way it should be. Too bad other people just don't seem to get it. I'm happy for you.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Love this post! And your yard!

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

Nice positive post...
    BTW... a salt water pool is a chlorine pool. The chlorine is just derived from splitting the salt (NaCl) into NA ions and Cl ions.
    You are right in that it is easier to maintain.

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

What a great story! You are like the Zappos of residential life! I feel inspired.

• trilobite
    12 years ago

I'm so envious. I thought we had it great when we had good friends who lived only a couple of miles away, but you guys really have it made.

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

I felt so inspired I brought my neighbors a loaf of banana bread today.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those of you in the frozen north....
    Here are some bananas that are growing in the front yard. I thought they were ornamental miniatures until this happened. Just cut them off today to ripen.

From Drop Box

Our first pig roast on the new rotisserie. Tiki project just started with the shell floor.

From Drop Box

The view over to our side, and our new pool. Note tiki framing is about 1/2 done. This was in August and we had already harvested the grapes (along the seawall) and made a case of grape jelly.

From Drop Box

We no longer need to go anywhere - the resort is in our own backyard!

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

C9pilot, your first post was a day brightener even though it made me miss Florida. We used to have bananas growing in our backyard, in addition to oranges and lemons. But your post today really got my attention. That grill looks a lot like the one dh got for his birthday/anniversary gift. Is it a Weber Summit E-620? I never imagined that he could do a whole roast pig on it. He's been "hinting" for a set up I found online last year to use over the 5 ft. fire pit in the back yard, but I've been able to put him off since we both have an aversion to uni-taskers. A pig pickin' might be enough to lure our kids (and a dozen of their closest friends) home for a visit. Would you please share some details? How big was the pig and how long did it take? Thanks!

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually it's an S-670 and I called Weber where they told me the rotisserie limit is 19#. I had to go to four meat markets until I found one that had a 24# suckling pig. It took 4-5 hours or so, but if I had to do it again, I'd cook it lower and slower so that it would be more tender (we did brine it).
    We go to a big pig roast each year in January where they do a huge hog, 100# or so, and it's a 24 hour party. The pig is on an old shaft from a boat and they rig it up with steel bars and wires and stuff to keep it secure. There's a steering wheel on one end and someone "drives" the pig all night, usually the college kids or high schoolers. Hundreds of friends show up for this party and bring drinks and side dishes for dinner, breakfast, and dinner. So that's what inspired us.

NC RE guy: Of course, I know that it's still chlorine, but you're right, many don't understand how ithe salt systems work. It still feels much nicer on the skin and doesn't make my eyes red like a traditional chlorine pool, which few people around here put in any more. The salt systems are so much easier to maintain, and it's nicer to put a bag of salt in the back of my van rather than jugs of chlorine. No down time for shocking each week. My hubby has been amazed how easy it's been because our neighbor once spent $200 on chemicals trying to get all sorted out after weeks of rain and that would break our budget!

• cas66ragtop
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing the additional pictures - everything looks great. I always wanted a boat dock in my back yard where I could just sit back and relax and enjoy it all. I love the water, I really wish I had a setup like that.

You're not going to believe this - I had a goofy dream because of you, and I rarely remember my dreams. I dreamed my wife was driving a Jeep through a field, and all these tortoises kept jumping out from behind bushes and tree stumps and my wife nearly ran them all over. I kept shouting "watch out for that tortoise!" over and over again. Haha what a goofy dream.

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

Cas66... Come on down to Lake Norman, Charlotte. We have a 35 mile long lake with 550 miles of shoreline. And gentle winters.

• cas66ragtop
    12 years ago

Sounds really nice, NC. I would actually prefer a nice big fresh-water lake. In 10-15 years when I retire, I may just look into that. Maybe by that time my current house will also be worth selling! Oh - all the WV jokes on the other thread were pretty funny. Yeah, probably good you quit before things got too nasty. Take care

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on the grill & suckling pig. Dh will be delighted. He's enjoying having cool weather again, as he hates grilling when it's 98+ and humid, and wants to grill every weekend. We also plan to have several big parties before we put our current house on the market next spring, and at least one will include a pig on the rotisserie.

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

Ew, I can't help it. That pig makes me feel bad.

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

LITH,
    Are you sure you are a real Country gal?

• cocontom
    12 years ago

If you have a turkey fryer, a 14 pound suckling pig will fit in it (34qt pot), and it's phenomenal. It's our favorite party main course.

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

NC, no, not really. My blog is GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com. I'll be changing it to add, "and goes city again." If I ever sell this place. Remember I'm going back to Jersey. And don't get me started on the deer meat. If it's so good, why don't they sell it in Walmart, that's what I want to know! Ha ha.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was pretty rough seeing the little nose squashed up against the inside of the clear plastic brining container, but I'll admit that handling the cold, flabby, uncooked piglet was pretty close to my undoing. My hubby trussed it up and I was glad not to touch it again.
    I don't know that we'll be doing it again soon.

CAS - your dream sequence was pretty funny! At least I'm not the only one who has completely crazy irrational dreams!

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

I think its sad too. Couldn't do that. I think pigs are cute! Poor little thing.

Can't deal with a whole lobster either (and they're not so cute). I don't want anything looking at me while I eat it.

Jane

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

Jane, they are cute! And I don't know if you guys have ever been around them in real life, but they are incredibly intelligent and lovable, like dogs. Oh, I don't want to make C9 feel bad... And bacon is one of my favorite foods. I'm trying to quit it.