Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleigh_gw

Agent ??

bleigh
13 years ago

I'm having some concerns with my agent/friend. She is my listing agent, but I seem to be running into some issues and am not sure what to do. First, we missed agent open house. She had told me several times over a couple of weeks that she would call the board of realtors to learn the date for our area. Well, I get an email at 0700 the morning of...by the time I checked my email at 1000 is was way too late to put our house on the list, leaving us a whole month to wait before they come back to our area. Second, we're working on another open house for this Sunday. I requested several times to have it advertised a week in advance for last Sunday and it was never done. I figured with the terrible weather and no advertising we wouldn't get any lookers anyway so I told her to stay home. Without any advertising who would know to come?? Well, we're supposed to be doing another one this Sunday. I asked again for advertising to start early in the week. It's Friday and there is NO advertising anywhere. I'm at a loss. What should I do? I don't want to get ugly with a friend, but this is unacceptable.

Comments (11)

• earthworm
    13 years ago

I do not think your agent can be a friend at the same time....it must be professional...
    Wait for the true agents to reply.
    My advice....sell privately.
    IMO, RE(real estate) is in need of reform and improvement.
    Communications are fair to poor, and this is true on both sides.

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sitting here waiting for some very kind professional opinions. Thank you for replying. I was really hoping this would work out, but so far it's not. Understanding communication is all too important in this type of business, I have followed up all of my request in writing. I have even written follow up questions for her to ask sellers in homes we've looked at. She managed to not ask the make or break question to one seller. While maybe she's thinking it's not that important as we have to sell first, I needed to know the answer to that question in order to keep that house on my short list. One more gripe, and I'm done, when we're looking at houses she wears clothes she's painted in. I'm not kidding. Literally shorts and t-shirts with paint on them and cheap flip-flops. We have had to meet homeowners and agents with her looking like that. Thank goodness I've worn my heels and nicer clothing, otherwise we would have not appeared serious as buyers. It is offensive to me to have someone who doesn't care more to dress the part. I know she notices that I dress a certain way when we're house hunting as she's commented, but she continues to wear crap. Maybe that's being too picky about her clothes, but the advertising and follow up questions are too much to overlook.

• earthworm
    13 years ago

Flip-flops?
    In the near dead of winter, here in York County, I have encountered this .
    I am with you, you must vent to the RE company, naming names. And, I would drop her faster than I would drop a hot potatoe.
    If all of the interested buyers are of the same sloppy dress, then this matters little. But an agent should dress in a professional manner.
    As I say, this, and many other professions need improvement and reform.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Maybe that's being too picky about her clothes

No, you are not being to picky to expect your agent to look and act like a professional, which she is not doing. You should have interviewed several agents and chose the professional with the best marketing plan for your home, and not made a choice based on friendship.

A full time professional agent should know what areas their MLS is touring and when.
    A full time professional agent knows when advertising is due and gets their ads placed on time.
    A full time professional agent doesn't show up in sloppy clothes.

• littlewomen
    13 years ago

I don't think you are being picky at all. She is not being the professional she should be and I would probably be finding another agent.

On that note, though, my agent is a friend and a wonderful agent! We met through church and have become better friends over the last 3 years that it took to sell and build our home. She always is very professional and communicated wonderfully. The one issue we had to overcome was not talking real estate at church unless it was a total necessary. I think it comes down to whether the person is a professional whether they are a friend or not. Do you know how she is with other clients? Then you can know if she is just feeling more relaxed with you therefore dressing casual and all or if that is just the way she runs her business.

• Linda
    13 years ago

It sounds like you have some legitimate issues with your friend/agent. First, I would discuss your concerns with her. If she's not communicating with you, you dont want to also give her the same argument or defense. You need to communicate with her too! Ask her point blank, why she hasnt advertised a week in advance like you asked, why she hasnt gotten answers to your questions on homes you have viewed.

In my area, open houses arent advertised a week in advance. They are advertized on friday, saturday and sunday or just the day of the open house (sunday). Advertising a week in advance for an open house may not do a thing in your area. The second thing I wonder is, can you purchase another home without selling yours? If you need to sell, then maybe your friend feels like you are wasting alot of her time. Perhaps, she is taking you out to see homes to keep you happy but is feeling taken advantage of and getting answers to questions on homes that you arent ready to purchase is just a waste of time.(I'm trying to look at both sides here)

I do agree that she seems to have dropped the ball on the brokers tour, but you both need to communicate with each other. I suspect that if you have a conversation with her, instead of just expecting that she will do what you ask will help your situation and give you both a better understanding of what each other expects.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I'm not an agent but if I were you, I would have a sit down with her and explain that this business arrangement - and the difficulties you are experiencing with her not understanding your needs - threaten your friendship.

Then you go one of two ways. 1) Since the friendship is more important, you have decided to use someone else to represent you. 2) Since the friendship is the more important of the two relationships with her, ask her what she thinks you should do.

• orv1
    13 years ago

She sounds incompetent. Use the Trump line.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The problem is that she is an incompetent agent, and you need a good agent.

What Graywings said: Tell her that she's not what you need in an agent.

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"In my area, open houses arent advertised a week in advance. They are advertized on friday, saturday and sunday or just the day of the open house (sunday). Advertising a week in advance for an open house may not do a thing in your area. The second thing I wonder is, can you purchase another home without selling yours? If you need to sell, then maybe your friend feels like you are wasting alot of her time. Perhaps, she is taking you out to see homes to keep you happy but is feeling taken advantage of and getting answers to questions on homes that you arent ready to purchase is just a waste of time.(I'm trying to look at both sides here) "

I've been noticing that several of the open houses in our area are being listed a week in advance. The ones that are usually advertised the day of are in heavy traffic areas. We mostly get traffic from folks who live around us as there is not point going down our main road unless you live here.

She is the one who suggested looking at houses. I'm perfectly fine to wait especially at this point in the process. Two of my neighbors sold really quickly and she suggested it would be good to get a short list just in case we were as fortunate. SO, I don't think she feels I'm wasting her time. I have told her that we won't be looking again until we start getting some more activity anyway. It's exhausting and a bit depressing...

Yes, I think we need to have a nice sit down and talk about things. Hopefully she get it together so I can continue to use her as my agent. Thanks for the suggestions!!

• littlebug5
    13 years ago

Business and friendship don't work. Period.

Get a new agent.