Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Listing Agent & Buyer's Agent

suzieque
13 years ago

I met a realtor at an open house and liked her a lot. I've not yet signed anything, but am wondering if it makes sense, or doesn't, to hire her to both sell my home and to sell me another one (as a buyer's agent). I will be buying in the same general area (probably within a 20 mile radius or less).

Is there any reason not to have the same agent for both?

Many thanks -

Suzieque

Comments (4)

• mpinto
    13 years ago

It definitely makes sense. If you like her, use her for both. It makes things go a lot smoother she will understand what you need, and you won't have to get to know another person.

• Billl
    13 years ago

It makes sense if she is an expert in both areas. In a rural or suburban area, she might know all the neighborhoods in a 20 mile radius. If you are looking in a major city, 20 miles may as well be 200 miles.

Also, sometimes the personality you want selling your home isn't the one you want to spend your weekends with. Most people like a no-nonsense, high volume agent when selling, but prefer a buyer's agent that is a little more laid back and that has plenty of time to spend showing you homes. Some agents excel at both, but not everyone does.

The only downside is that will probably know more info about you in terms of motivation, finances etc. That isn't always a good thing when you get to the actual negotiating/financial aspects of a sale.

• revamp
    13 years ago

I recently had a horrible experience with a Realtor I had known for years and who had listed and sold two properties for me. He did an excellent job as a seller's agent. His marketing was excellent, his advice to me as a seller was on-point, and his connections had both homes sold quickly in a very challenging market.

Then, this spring I didn't hesitate to call him up when I was ready to buy again. Unfortunately, he was a HORRIBLE buyers agent. He never had time to show me properties, a couple houses slipped through my fingers due to his inability to get us in to see the place for as long as 5-6 days sometimes. A couple times I insisted that if he couldn't be available then to send someone else from his office instead.

Unfortunately, the state I am in requires a buyer's agent contract, otherwise I would have dropped him like a hot potato.

Also, no matter how many times I requested it, he never set me up with automated reports of new houses on the market that met my criteria--he never called me to let me know there was something new he thought I would be interested, and he never paid attention to my comments on what I liked or disliked about the houses we were viewing. Each and every house we viewed (over 20) were houses I had found on the internet or drivebys and sent them to him asking for showings.

I could go on and on...he even neglected to tell me for 24hrs that he had an answer on an offer we had submitted.

So, although I would be willing to use him again to sell, I need an agent that is ready and available and listens to me and what I am looking for in a home to buy. I would never use him again as a buyer's agent and would never recommend him, either.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your input; some very good things to think about.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022