Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sump Pit, no Pump or Inlet

Posted by bbeardb (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 9:05

I had an inspection done on a house I'd like to buy, and the inspector was extremely worried about this one finding. There was a sump pit that had never been opened since built (1999, we had to chip up concrete to open it) and found about two inches of water. There was no pump or opening whatsoever in the pit. Given that there was no way for water to get in there, except maybe from the top although there is NO evidence of there ever being a basement flood, I'm assuming the water has been in there since new.

I've never had a sump pit. I don't know if this is a big deal. The next door neighbor does not have a pit. The neighbor across the street also has a pit but has no inlet or pump as well. I'm in Colorado if that helps.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

PS. I've been a Gardenweb lurker for years. If ever I needed any information on the internet and found an answer on Gardenweb, I was sure to read it. There's a great group of people here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sump Pit, no Pump or Inlet

It was likely installed at construction and then not needed.

o

Almost always, water gets into a sump pit from the bottom up, not from the top. It is just groundwater. If it bothers you, put in a sump pump and exit the drain to the outside.

o

The inspector is extremely worried at finding an unused sump pit? Or at finding some water in it? Neither of those is cause for concern in my book. Water can seep through concrete, it can condense, lots of non-scary reasons there'd be a small amount of water there. I wouldn't think twice about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here