Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailaz

22 Showings and No Offer

Gailaz
9 years ago

I listed this home in August, It is listed a little under market value. The home is vacant and has emerald green carpeting in every room except the bathrooms and kitchen, light green blinds throughout, 1970-1980 kitchen lights, drapes,(it took me two months to have them agree to take them down) 1970-80 refrigerator. For two months they had no built in microwave and old appliances (they just upgraded them) I have had over 22 showings, 1 written offer under market value, 1 offer almost $30,000 under market value and several I love the house but it needs too much work. Sellers offered a carpet allowance and still no offers. I am a Seasoned Realtor and have suggested replacing the green carpet with a neutral carpet and a few other suggestions. The house is spotless and in a desirable neighborhood. In the past 13 days I have showed the property every other day. I know that my marketing is working because Buyers are visiting the property but I can't make someone like their home once they get there and buy it. I suggested they change the carpeting and upgrade the house or lower the price below market value to make it so desirable the Buyer will want to buy it. They are resisting my suggestions and the owners daughter has made it clear that I should not bring up changing the carpet or any other changes again. I have been a Realtor, business owner/trainer and marketing expert for over 30 years. The pictures in the MLS are subtle and do show well and I have created lots of interest so I am having showings but when they see the home in person, the Buyers love the floor plan but move on to other homes that need less work and that they like better. I need help, should I just give up? Perhaps I am not right, who knows. Would you please take a look and give me an independent review would be very helpful. Can you look at the listing and give me your opinion please? I want to do right by the Sellers and myself. I Thank you so much, Gail

Here is a link that might be useful: MLS Listing With More Pictures

This post was edited by Gailaz on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 12:38

Comments (29)

• gottagrowthings
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

this does look outdated. it sounds like parents may have passed or moved to a nursing home and daughter is selling it? don't beat yourself up about it - the market is speaking to anyone willing to listen...

• folkvictorian
    9 years ago

Yes, replacing the dark carpet with a lighter neutral carpet and removing the brass window treatments would make a world of difference! It would be one thing if only a single room had that dark carpet -- but the whole house? Eeeek.

Like Gottagrowthings said -- the market is speaking loud and clear.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Carpet, carpet, carpet. I fear that the sellers will probably look for another realtor who will also have the same issue and only then will they finally change the carpet and the fixtures.

• hollynla
    9 years ago

The room looks large and clean. I think no window treatments are better than what is up there now. I would think a carpet allowance would be ok for me if I liked everything else about that house. If the seller won't budge on what they can do to help it sell, there isn't much you can do and it's not your fault.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

It seems to me that the house is NOT priced at "market value". The market is speaking and is saying that the price is too high for the impression the house is giving house hunters.

Since your professional relationship with the seller has soured, I would not spend any more time or effort on this listing. She's not listening to you, so you're just "throwing good money after bad" at this point. Cut it loose and cancel the listing. Let someone else take on the headache inducing daughter.

You can always still show and sell the house, but as a buyer's representative instead of the listing agent. Much less stress for you in not having to deal with the daughter's ignorance and stubbornness any longer plus you no longer have to incur any marketing costs associated with being the listing agent.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

You have had two offers... you now know exactly what the market value is and it is not your list price.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I wonder if professionals can dye or bleach the carpet to change the color for less than replacing it....

The house looks neat and clean and well cared for in the pics as does the yard. But of course the pics don't show everything....

As an agent, you know that it takes longer to sell an empty house than one that has furniture and empty houses look smaller.

The only thing you can do is to go deep with comps in the neighborhood to show her that the price is not appropriate and that she has the choice of either fixing the carpet or lowering the price...

Also, make sure the house doesn't smell. I have been in homes that look very neat and clean, but have a pet or musty or smoking odor and that's a real turn off...maybe get a plug-in scent thing...

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. My first impression is both outdated and overpriced. From the offers you've gotten, that's everyone else's impression as well. If you can't make hard heads listen, then you fire the client and move on to those who will. You're not getting a good return on your time investment on this one.

• sweet_tea
    9 years ago

How did you determine market value? Was it against comps that are also outdated in similar ways? Or was it against homes that have been updated and then what value did you deduct for your listing being outdated?

Perhaps you only deducted the cost-to-upgrade? In reality it is worth less than the cost-to-upgrade because there is the time and hassle factor that makes it worth less than just the cost the upgrade. You see, an investor might buy it and put the money in to upgrade. But they want to get some profit for their time/effort of doing the upgrades.

You mentioned 1 offer wsa $30k below list price. Did the sellers counter back with a price?

What was the 2nd offer?

What is the list price?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, looks like pretty much the same house but with pool went under contract in less than 5 days.

Looking at other comps and houses that sold, it looks like the property is overpriced.

Here is a link that might be useful: comps

• lascatx
    9 years ago

(Sorry this got tso long, but I don't have time to edit it again -- hope you can read through it and it will be helpful)

Have you taken the daughter to view the comps? I just did a quick look at some of them, and there are homes priced higher, but they all have more to offer -- updating, a larger lot, larger home, etc. Price per sq ft is not the be all and end all that some seem to make it, but it is one guide. There are homes in the neighborhood selling for more -- overall and per sq ft. This one appears to be at the lower end, but it shows worse than any I got to before coming back here. You also have a short sale in the area that is fully staged. I'm sure they are looking to create a bidding war -- or at least a battle. Until that goes, it's going to be hard to market a property that looks worse and in need of more work for $30+K more. On the other hand, there are homes going for more and the potential is there.

The house is cute, but it does need work. I would talk to the daughter. And I don't think she hates you as much as she probably hates the situation she's in. She's also probably feeling that it's a nice home, it's not in terrible shape, and she can't get too little for it -- for her parents, for their care, etc. She may be dealing with changing circumstances for her parents, a lot of uncertainty about the future, the pressure of responsibility, guilt, grief, and a host of other overwhelming emotions and considerations that she hasn't even allowed herself time to consider. I lost both of my parents in the last year, so it hasn't been that long since I've been in a similar situation. It stinks.

You could let this go, and if you feel she really hates you and isn't trusting your advise, maybe that will be the way it needs to go. If it were me, I'd talk to her first. Let her know that you understand she is in a difficult position dealing with a lot of change and lot of responsibility. It may be hard for her to not think about the house as her parents and see it as a property to market, but remind her that is why you are there to help her. You can't help her with their care, but you can help her with the house. You've tried it as is for two months and the universal reaction (there and here) is that the house is not showing well and needs some TLC or a price reduction -- and the price reduction (I agree with her) seems unfair because that short sale will go away and the others in the same price per sq ft range are similar in condition but for the carpet and a weekend's worth of work.

If there is no money to put into upgrades, it's going to be a sit and wait or take a deep cut on the price. Most older buyers will not want to do the updating. Many young home buyers are too inexperienced and afraid or too busy with young careers and kids to want to take on renos. Those who will need to see a value in it and $2,000 isn't going to motivate that kind of buyer.

If there is some money, not a ton, but some, I'd consider taking the house off the market and give the house a little TLC. She's heard it and not liked it, but the green carpet is a problem. It doesn't look worn, dirty or stained, but (and it may be something about the photos) it looks like it is stretched, loose and coming up on the baseboards. The color severely distracts potential buyers and even those who try to look past it are going to think of it as more than $2K. When they think how much more, they are going to start thinking of everything else they want to update, and as long as they are at it -- with more expensive choices than you would. Chose for them, prevent them for focusing on what else they would change while they are at it, contain your cost and then let the buyers actually look at the house as they should.

I'm surprised by the amount of carpet in the listing photos there. I would expect more tile and laminate or wood in AZ than all that carpet. Would it not be worth looking into a laminate that would look like a serious upgrade but perhaps not cost more than carpet?

Take down any remaining window treatments unless they are completely neutral blinds or shades. If privacy or poor views are an issue, go to a big box store and get some off the shelf blinds or shades. I'd replace those brass light fixtures (I'm fine with brass but those are exactly what got people hating brass 10-20 years ago and they were cheap then). You can get new fixtures at Home Depot, Lowe's or Overstock -- they don't have to be expensive. I'd budget about $100 each and move on.

I'd paint the bathroom to give it some life (cheapest solution but painting or gel staining cabinets and replacing vanity top would be a bigger update option), look into what needs to be repaired around the tub window (left side), and power wash the outside (back looks dirty -- if drought prevents power washing, get someone to brush the dirt and cobwebs off). Then borrow (could be from the daughter, other family members, or rent some furniture to stage at least a couple of rooms (breakfast, family room and master). The bathrooms can be staged with a vase of flowers and some towels -- it doesn't need to be a lot, but enough to show some suggestions of life in the house. Make sure the yard is cleaned up (looks like the grass needs cutting in the photo). Remove the umbrella stand at the table and add a colorful pot or some flowers on the table.

I'd put the house back on the market at a price that pays for the updates plus a little wiggle room. I'd think that with some smart shopping you are just talking a few thousand dollars. DH and I would paint, clean and change fixtures ourselves, so I'm thinking a few hundred dollars plus flooring. A little more if you need to rent furniture, but maybe a furniture place would give you a short term deal for putting their cards or a sign in the house.

I know it's a tough situation, but I hope she will let you help her. Just remember she may be struggling to control the few things she can and have a hard time letting go -- so make this her taking control with your help rather than you setting her straight cuz she didn't get it right the first time. Good luck.

• sweet_tea
    9 years ago

I just viewed the listing, all the photos and a few of the comps.

The listing comments need to be updated. It says about the new flat top range coming soon. But you can see it already arrived per the photos.

I think, other than the green carpet, the home shows well and seems to be priced pretty decent. I would just hang in there and wait for another offer. I wouldn't replace the carpet because there is a 50% chance the new buyers will replace with either tile or wood or vinyl plank flooring...especially since it's AZ.

Also you listed in the slow season for AZ, right? Snowbirds are just starting to arrive which means your selling season is just starting.
    Also I bet it hasn't been very long since the new SS appliances were added. So give it time for new buyers to see the new appliances.That probably turned off lots of prior buyers so now the only issue is the carpet. Also the walls are pure while and that green carpet makes them look even whiter.

The carpet's not dirty or worn - it's just a color that's outdated. The exterior of the home looks very nice and it really doesn't have any major flaws. The condition seems well cared for.

This house is gonna sell, and it won't be much longer. Don't walk away from the listing. Allow some time for new buyers to see it with the new kitchen appliances. You will get another offer within 2-3 weeks..watch.

Now it's time to bury the St Joseph statue, IMO.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

what lascatx says: Paint in the bathroom, new light fixtures, maybe some new faucets, new carpet or tile, some staging, and make sure that everything is sparkling clean.
    I'd suggest Overstock, IKEA, Costco.

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

If there's hardwood under there they could sand the floors for relatively small money (even doing it themselves). We did ours ourselves and didn't even stain it. Just put the shellac stuff on it and it's gorgeous. If it's cement, they could just clean it up if not cracks and glaze it. People would rather see a naked floor than carpet that is rank...all they see is work they have to do. At least with no carpet, that saves them time and to have to wear a mask! Also; a bright coat of off white or beige paint could help. Also just remove the fridge. Having no fridge is better than distracting with something new buyers would just throw out anyway! It's work for them. If they are unwilling to listen to you as a professional, then the house will go unsold. You can't keep paying for the marketing and wasting time and gas.... you might have to tell them if they don't do it, that maybe they should find a new agent. Hate to do it but some are hard cases! CLEANLINESS means everything. If a house is nasty, I won't even go in further. So make sure no bugs, all shiny.

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

I just looked at the photos (sorry didn't see them before). House looks clean. Problem is you can buy new cheap built houses for that with granite and all that. Thing is she does need to remove the carpet, valance, change the faucet and honestly, I see the door has bars on it. First impression is the door and it's saying "I live in a neighborhood I need BARS on my door". Nobody wants to live in that hood! Remove the bars!

• User
    9 years ago

The only change that I would suggest is to replace the brass light fixtures. In addition to the finish, the style is not neutral. The kitchen looks okay. The carpet would not be a deal breaker for me, but it would keep me from making an offer on the spot.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Those are not "bars" on the door; it's a security door and almost everyone out here has one. When the weather is nice, it's **really** nice and we like to have doors and windows open, just not open to strangers and strays.

As I see it, the house is not overpriced by much, certainly not 30K. Whoever made that offer is just a vulture circling for easy pickings. There is nothing wrong with the house. Taking down old-fashioned fixtures is not going to make a hill of beans difference. Same for changing the carpet or painting the walls. The house is clean. You just need to put the word out that you'll entertain offers up to 10K less. If you can get an offer in the 170 - 175 range, I can't imagine they'd turn it down. What was the second offer?

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Sorry, I keep double-posting. Wish GW would update some features. :(

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 2:13

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

Gailaz, does the daughter give a reason as to why she refuses to listen to your advice? The home is clearly overpriced for what you are getting and what has to be done to it. Potential buyers are making that abundantly clear. Do you think showing her one last time the comps, the buyer's comments and reactions to her/her parent's home would do any good? If she doesn't give an answer or still refuses to do any upgrades, maybe it is time to move on. Maybe some one else can take over. At least you won't be so stressed and you won't be wasting time and money on someone that doesn't listen. NancyLouise

• azmom
    9 years ago

Bars on the door?

As tomatofeak said, it is security screen door that is very popular in Great Phoenix area. Some doors come with both screen door and glass door to be used when weather gets cold. Fancy, high quality doors could easily cost over 10K each.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I didn't see any pictures of a bedroom (unless what I think is a family room is actually a bedroom.) And you might want to reorder or prioritize the pictures. From the "details" tab, you see a close-up view of a faucet, but no pictures of a bedroom or family room. The faucet and sink are clean, but I don't really get the purpose of that picture, especially if I haven't already seen pictures of all 3 bedrooms and both bathrooms.

More or reordered pictures won't sell the house if it's over priced, but they might get people to at least take a look.

• function_first
    9 years ago

Adding to what Chicagoans said -- why is there not a full view of the front or back of the house? Neither is there a good shot of the backyard- which seems lovely from what I can tell if it by looking through the eating area pics. Nearly half of the pictures only show neighborhood info. I know you said you are a very experienced realtor, you might want to add a very experienced photographer to your team.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It sounds like...there are other homes in the area that are more attractive in terms of price/quality/amount of remodeling required, etc, and those are selling. Is that correct?

It sounds like this home is getting beaten by the competition--not competing realtors, but competing homes, close enough in price/size/location, etc that they are just better buys for those who are shopping.

• alisonn
    9 years ago

Here is a house around the block from this house that sold for around the same asking price in September. They are the same square footage. Compare the two houses with the daughter and hopefully she will see how much updating $$$ her house needs, vs the comp. Good luck! http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13360-W-Cambridge-Ave-Goodyear-AZ-85395/8301281_zpid/

This post was edited by alisonn on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 0:02

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Well I don't see anything wrong with the house or the appliances shown in the current pictures on the listing. More pics of bedrooms and yard as suggested by others would help. I, too, am not sure why the closeup of the faucets.

The carpet does look stretched and as if it needs to be replaced but if that is all, then I don't see that as an impediment to the sale, if the carpet allowance is generous.

I have no idea what comparable prices are like in the area. Surely the seller is not thinking she'll get the asking price? Its still a buyer's market in most places. I've seen houses that have been on the market for months and have had up to 20% drop in prices in that time, in different markets.

Frankly I would FAR rather replace the carpet myself (and I wouldn't replace it with carpet) than find out the seller had replaced it with something cheap and "neutral" that I'm STILL going to want to take out and replace anyway. I don't see anything wrong with "brass fixtures" either. But then "modern neo-cookie-cutter" doesn't sit right with me, either.

Perhaps the asking price is a little high. You haven't said what the best offer you've received on the place was. If it was anywhere in the ball park - even within 10k - it was probably a fair offer. If the seller can't understand that, after all this time, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do about it.

I'm assuming there is nothing else that needs to be done, eg that water heater, central air, central heat, plumbing, electrical, roof, etc etc etc are all in place, functioning as they should, and likely to remain that way for some time to come.

On the other hand, if the water heater, HVAC, or what have you are on their last legs - or about to be soon - that is another kettle of fish.

Frankly I would have preferred to replace the appliances myself as well. I HATE those flat top ranges! Of course I would have knocked one or two thousand off my offer in order to do that, but I doubt she spent much less than that on the new appliances anyway.

• sweet_tea
    9 years ago

LISTING AGENT NEEDS TO UPDATE LISTING COMMENTS:

Current: "...new stainless dishwasher, and (coming soon) New stainless built in microwave and new flat range. "

Please change to : "...new stainless dishwasher and new stainless built in microwave and new ss flat range. "

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Anyone else feel like, OP has disappeared?
    Was this a marketing ploy? It didn't sound like it, but geez; do us the courtesy of returning and answering some of the questions.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Perhaps - fingers crossed - she got an offer and is deep in paperwork. I do hope she comes back with an update, though.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

I noticed a possible private water system, and HO fees that are not capped. Not sure how restrictive the HO is, but if the price is right, a person can do a lot to change things--if HO allows it. But if agent and seller are not getting along, agent should drop this and move on.