Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
le_maroonage

House not officially on the market but I want to make an offer

le_maroonage
16 years ago

There's a house in my neighborhood that is not officially on the market. It's a building, really. The place is a wreck. Lots of damage to the roof and it's boarded up, throughout. I looked through public records to see if it was in foreclosure. It turns out that the people who own it have been doing nothing with it for the past 2 years, but paying the taxes. I want to write a letter to the owner to see if they would be willing to sell. I'm not sure of the best way to go about this, though. Some thoughts, please...

Thanks.

Comments (14)

• chisue
    16 years ago

We had a realtor friend write to four or five home owners in a neighborhood we liked. He said he had client interested in living there and to contact him. Three people did respond. Although we didn't end buying any of those homes, we did buy another one there. We thought it good to have an intermediary handle the contacts in this case, but you can skip that, or ask your attorney to be intermediary. (Perhaps having a realtor made some owners think they'd have to pay him a commission, or wonder if he was "just fishing" for a listing.)

If you write yourself, be businesslike and brief. Just say you are a qualified buyer interested in buying the property. Give them your phone number. Do you have a business address to give them? (You don't want to make a "new best friend".)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

I've received two of these letters, (one from an individual and one from a company of ambiguous type), and my reactions were:

- Wonder if this is a form letter, and if so, how many they sent out? Did everyone in the neighborhood get one?

- Is this person a Realtor, Investor, Flipper? Appraisal consultant? Where is the part where it costs me money?

- What is it about my house that prompted them to write? (We're doing extensive renovation, and the exterior isn't looking its best.) So are they looking for a lowball way into the neighborhood? A teardown? Or do they appreciate the architecture, which is a bit different from the norm.

So speaking as a past letter recipient, I would want to hear a little bit about who you are, why you're writing, and what your plans for the property are.

I would most want to hear that you like the architecture, appreciate the 'bones' and that you want to renovate the property for some stated future use.

• jy_md
    16 years ago

When we bought our townhouse, it was not yet officially on the market. Our real estate agent knew the owner was thinking about selling, approached her to gauge her interest. She was interested, we were interested. We bought.

On the flip side, the same agent approached *us* five years later asking if we were thinking about moving (I had mentioned to her that we expected to live there 3-5 years). If so, she had people interested in the place. I told her that we were not interested and thanked her. No sale.

I would go through a lawyer to write up a letter of interest and see what happens. But of course, you could write the letter yourself. I would keep the letter fairly short and businesslike.

• calliope
    16 years ago

I've done just that three times. When I first moved into this community, I fell in love with a vacant downtown rowhouse. I knew who owned it, the people who lived next door, who had bought that property and renovated it. I assumed they probably wouldn't renovate a second house next door for their own use, so had a realtor enquire. Well, it's thirty some years later, and the house is still empty, rofl. Although at least the exterior is renovated. Their thinking (because I know they got both houses for a song) was it was wonderful insurance against having people live next door with whom they did not want to share their personal space.

The next time I made an enquiry was to the attorney of party who owned a home I knew was going to go into foreclosure, but hadn't yet. I thought it would be a win/win for both the owner and myself. I contacted the owner and then dealt with the attorney. It only stood to reason most people would rather sell a house going into foreclosure for what they owe against it, than have their credit ruined. The attorney was very receptive and it was not a negative experience at all. I did find out that it was mortgaged to the teeth and had some major issues like a heating system needing completely replaced. So, I begged off.

The third time was on a home in disrepair but with good bones. It was a vacation home and I caught people on site and ventured the question. They would not consider an offer "as is". They were flipping it, long before the word flipping it had mainstream recognition. I saw what was going into this renovation and just shuddered. It was stuff I would rip out immediately if I intended to use it myself, and I did. So, I thanked them and left.

In all cases, an attorney would have been involved somewhere in the process. In some cases, a realtor if you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself. In every case, I think the issue is to let the owners know it's not some scam company who is in to buy/sell by doing the "pay you cash if you'll sell" routine.

Does't hurt to ask. It can be spur an undecided owner into action. The only down side I can think of is it puts the enquirer in a position of admitting they really might want this house and lessens their bargaining position. But on the other hand, the lure of a quick sale without any hassle can be an incentive for the owners to give it some consideration.

• sweet_tea
    16 years ago

How about sending a nice greeting card (blank inside)? And hand write your note in the card. This way they know it is not a form letter.

Also let them know you are wanting to live in the home(if this is the case).

If you really want a reply, give a SASE inside with a little note for them to respond. Also give your tel#.

I used to get lots and lots of letters from investor companies. But one couple sent a nice hand written letter. It said how long they lived in the area, and stated that they were looking in the neighborhood for a property that had X, Y, Z. And if were would be interested in selling now or anytime in the next few years, to contact them. They said they were not an agent.

I'll be darned, those folks are now our neighbors. Someone else responded to their letter and sold to them fairly quickly - for market price. We were not planning to sell so never contacted them. However, they would have gotten the first call compared to the other form letters that we got.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Sweet Tea, I like the idea to use a greeting card, that would be something I would actually open. Depending on how it was written, I might or might not respond.

If I saw something from an agent it would go straight to the trash because I've gotten postcards and other mailings from agents; I figured they sent them to everyone, and a lot of times most neighbors got them too. Since we had different houses some with garages, ranchers, bi levels that I figured it was a new agent looking for someone to sign up.

We recently got one such mailing about a month ago; hubby called them, told them we were in fact listed and to make an appointment to see the house. Of course they never did.

We had a realtor friend write to four or five home owners in a neighborhood we liked. He said he had client interested in living there and to contact him. Three people did respond. Although we didn't end buying any of those homes, we did buy another one there.

This is what I would think could happen. I waste my time responding and possibly showing the house after getting it ready, then the person that made contact isn't interested after all. Did you look at the houses that did respond?

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I got a letter too from a couple looking to move into our neighborhood and wanted a dead end street to live on. They sent it to everybody on the street as it is the only dead end one. A neighbor sold them theirs. We weren't thinking of selling at that time.

It was a typed letter, but everybody in the family had hand signed it (kids included).

• Linda
    16 years ago

I have written letters for clients, but it is certainly not anything you couldnt do yourself, unless you're not comfortable with the process of buying the home without a realtor. What seems to work better is not just writing a letter stating your interest. I've found that personalizing the letter seems to get a better response. I use the buyers first names, tell a little bit about them, why they like this particular neighborhood and/or house etc. It seems more "real" to homeowners than if you just send a basic, I have someone who wants to buy in your neighborhood, please call me, type letter.

• deniseandspike
    16 years ago

We received a letter recently. They offered to buy my house "as is." I tried to check out the company online and found no information and checked a paid database for information on the person signing the letter (I can usually find them if they live in my state) and also found no information. I assumed it was a scam and the letter went in the trash.

De

• hobokenkitchen
    16 years ago

We did this when we got outbid on a condo a few years back. I wrote a letter (typed because there were a lot of condos) letting the owners know that we were interested in buying a unit in the building and to contact me.

Someone did, and we purchased the unit.

I did the same thing for clients and people responded but didn't follow through. Seemed they were flattered to get the letter and wanted to see what the response would be, but when my client wanted to actually buy, they got cold feet. It was a real shame.

We sent letters again to a different condo building. No-one responded, but a few months later one of the owners decided to fsbo and the asking price was well below market (he hadn't researched properly), so we gave him a couple of thousand over asking and asked for a 30 day close with a home sale contingecy to sell our condo. Put it on the market at market rate and had multiple offers 3 days later. Ahh those were the days!

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - but it's worth a try!

Good luck!

• jperiod
    16 years ago

I sent about 50 letters a few months ago to owners in a neighborhood I'm targeting. I didn't say my exact stipulations, but I told them that I was sending the letter to them and some of their naighbors because their house appeared to have some of the things we were looking for. I also said we particularly liked that neighborhood, we were a family looking for our "forever home," not investors, but that we were handy and would consider one in any condition. I also said we'd be willing to pay a fair price that would be agreeable to both. Lastly, I said I'd be looking for up to a year, gave my cell and email (in case we sold and started renting), and asked them to call if they ever decided to sell. No one has called yet. :( And one even went on the market since. We've decided not to buy it though, because of a very large power line directly behind.

I've also received letters in the past, most from companies that I discard. A few have appeared to be investors which I ignored because they were too impersonal and wouldn't pay a fair price, I'm sure. One investor lived in my neighborhood and sent a letter the week my house went on the market, so I contacted him. He didn't want it because I had a realtor, but came back 2 months later and we had a contract. He backed out and then had his dad come back 3 months later and try to get it. We caught on and wouldn't take the low ball offer. Now our house is off the market, but sometimes I wonder if he'll try again in a few months.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Love the greeting card idea. I think that would really set a note apart and make it clear that it was not a mass mailing from a low-ball fishing firm.

• chisue
    16 years ago

I just realized that we did this six years ago when we wanted to buy a condo on Maui and couldn't get a realtor there to get up off the beach or out of the ocean to help us. (Seriously, here we were, doing a 1031, HAD to buy and close within 180 days, and NOBODY out there was interested in making a surefire commission! This all changed as the bubble got going out there.)

An owner we'd met at the condo complex while on vacation gave us a list of all the owners. We wrote to those who owned 1 BR 2 bath ground floor condos. Four responded. One was merely curious. Two were asking the moon. BUT, the fourth was businesslike and priced within reason. He was also willing to undertake the gut and refurbish we wanted, bringing the property up to the replacement value we wanted to spend.

We bought sight-unseen except for photos; flew out to close on it and use it ourselves for a month; finished decorating; set up rental agency and have watched it climb in value. One of the best things we've ever done! (knock wood)

• le_maroonage
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some wonderful pointers, here! Thanks. I ended up sending a typed letter - professional - with my cell phone number.
    The greeting card idea sounds perfect, though. I'm thinking that if I don't hear back within two weeks, I will follow up that way.
    I'll aim to make the 2nd card more personal.