Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

painting ceilings???

loves2read
14 years ago

We are getting 25 yr old house ready for re-sale market--we have bought and moved to another home in area

we are having the interior repainted including ceilings because there was an AC leak after we moved out that did damage to ceilings and walls in several rooms...and the paint was about 6 yrs old anyway...needed to be redone...

my question is--IF you are doing full interior paint job--would you paint ceilings same/lighter shade/tone as the walls or go with the original white...

many of the newer construction, more expensive homes in MLS have ceilings/walls same tone--the house we bought has that as well--but those ceilings are higher--like 10-12 ft or more

these ceilings are 8 ft high except the kitchen and entry that are vaulted...

we have couple of rooms that are BM "bone" vs white in others, several where wallpaper is coming down for texture and paint-- including the kitchen...have white trim in some rooms and wood trim/cabinets in kitchen

We are going to use neutrals--but I wanted to use two colors in a beigy-tan and no white walls--

now I am thinking the ceilings should be painted as well--maybe 30% of the walls--

we are leaving them popcorn finish--too expensive to change

Comments (22)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"...many of the newer construction, more expensive homes in MLS have ceilings/walls same tone--the house we bought has that as well--but those ceilings are higher--like 10-12 ft or more..."

It is the same color to save time when spraying the rooms.

White ceilings are a sort of classic look.

If it fits in with the decor paint them white.

Ceiling paint is usually a little cheaper since it does not need the to be scrubbed and cleaned very much.

• 3bebe
    14 years ago

I would also paint the ceiling white so that if the new owner wants to repaint with their own color choices, they can see that they won't have to repaint the ceilings too. No one likes to paint ceilings, or at least not me!

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"No one likes to paint ceilings, or at least not me!"

Ceilings are one of the easiest things to paint.

If you are painting the wails even cutting in can be a little sloppy (as in brush on a pole) since the ceiling is done first.

A telescoping pole and a roller and the job is completed very quickly. No ladders, just drop clothes, a roller pan, and a roller on a pole and a brush holder for the pole.

Cut in with the brush on the pole, roll the ceiling.

Do not run the roller over your head, but keep it in front of you. The change in pressure on the roller will result in a change in how much pint is applied

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

I always think color looks better on a ceiling than plain white. White makes it look like you could not figure out what to do with that big fifth wall and so you left it.

BTW heavily popcorned ceilings are very dated and depending on where you live could cost you some dollars on your sale. Many buyers subtract from the offer for popcorn ceiling removal just as it were a defect. It's in the same category as wallpaper removal.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"White makes it look like you could not figure out what to do with that big fifth wall and so you left it."

Colored walls and white ceilings is a very classic look.
    It helps make rooms seem larger with the large expanse of the lightest color you can get, white.

When I see ceilings painted the same color as walls the first thing I think is someone trying to be cheap and save buying ceiling paint and the labor of cutting in the walls to the ceiling.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

My father always said a white ceiling makes a room look bigger and I have to agree! I also think it makes moldings and wall color "crisper" -- if that makes any sense.

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I prefer white ceilings. I like the look. I have kids that like to touch the walls. Since I do a lot of paint touch up anyway, I like having the flexibility to change the wall color on a whim. I REALLY don't like painting ceilings so i do it once and that's it.

My neighbors painted their ceilings the same color as the walls and it looks awful. For one thing, they didn't choose a flattering color. And then painting the ceiling the same color and it makes it look like they are living in a box.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I prefer a shade lighter of the wall color and I do not use flat paint. I think I used one sheen up from flat.

• C Marlin
    14 years ago

Ceiling color really varies by the style of the house and room.

In some of my rooms the ceiling is white, a few rooms the ceiling is 50% of the wall color.
    In some rooms I hate white it just looks like a gaping hole, other rooms, white works well.
    I'd probably stay with white since your ceilings are 8", but might do the vaulted ceiling with a little more color. A white vaulted ceiling sometimes overpowers a room, but with out seeing it personally it is hard to know.
    For a few hundred dollars you could probably consult with a designer for some good color information.
    Personally, I always use flat everywhere, kitchen, bath included. I don't like a sheen on the wall.
    Oh, popcorn ceiling, leave it white, try, try, try to find the money to change them out, you will sell faster, people hate popcorn.
    Be careful don't paint to light and neutral, it may come off as drab dirty white with not warmth. Make sure it doesn't have a peach undertone, pick you wall color carefully.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Ceilings are one of the easiest things to paint.

Brickeyee, you are a font of information, but no one in the world is going to agree with this statement.

• lyfia
    14 years ago

white - I really don't like color on the ceiling. Some do. For selling I'd go with white and then those that want ceilings in another color will paint it themselves. Nobody will think twice about it being white vs. if painted it could be something others will consider needing work and thus redcuce the price.

• elle481
    14 years ago

I prefer white ceilings. They look clean and crisp. I just moved into a new home and everything is painted what would be called "decorators white", except for all of the moldings which are painted true white. It would be so much easier for us to change the wall colors if the the ceilings were true white. The off white ceilings just won't look good with the colors I want to paint on the walls. I now have to hire a painter do redo the ceilings white since many of them are too high for me to reach.
    White ceilings all the way for a home that's on the market!

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Another vote for white ceilings, with a twist ...

When I had my family room repainted, it's 600 sq feet single story walls with a cathedral ceiling, I asked the painter to tone down the brightness of the white on the ceiling. I didn't want the ceiling, which stands out so much anyway, to be painted bright white and stand out even more. For some reason I think he used a white with a gray tone, and it looks great.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I'm with pam:
    white ceiling paint looks cold to me;
    if you add just a drop of color, it knocks off some of the chill.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"Ceilings are one of the easiest things to paint.:

"Brickeyee, you are a font of information, but no one in the world is going to agree with this statement. "

I just finished replacing a hall ceiling over the three day weekend (water damage).
    A couple hours of demo, about an hour of hanging dry wall, 2 coats of Easysand20, and then painted the thing on Sunday (primer plus one coat of ceiling paint). I spent more time waiting between coats than painting (though the room is only about 15 ft X 10 ft.

The walls were painted on Monday, and the cutting in did slow things a little.
    The baseboards were taped off since they did not need painting, and rolling always produces at least a little spray.

• lbelle
    12 years ago

My ceilings are painted a lighter shade of the wall color. I like the color, but I noticed how mucher dimmer the house is. (the color is a light gold). I have 9-12ft ceilings. So I am thinking that white or off white on the ceiling will make your rooms seem larger and brightersince you have 8 ft ..

• chispa
    12 years ago

Did the last 2 posters realize that the original post was from 3 (yes three) years ago!!!!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

Do you know that by painting them it will make it harder for the next owner to remove the popcorn? I suggest you remove the popcorn in at least the public areas. Maybe get a couple of bids for it.

As for paint color I suggest white or slightly off white for the ceilings.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

Ummm.. since the post is over two years old, I think the OP has dealt with these ceilings already!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I didn't notice the date!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Houses aren't flying off the shelves in most parts of the country. You can't even give some of them away here.

Painting isn't as cut and dry as you'd think. There are some 'fool the eye' tricks out there. First off, light shades don't always make a room look larger. I changed the paint in the living room on the fireplace wall to a dark, Euro-looking red and it made the wall recede and visually almost double the size of the room in the mind's eye. Floored me.

Likewise we remodeled out kitchen/dining room about five years ago and tore out the flooring clean to the dirt in that ell. Had to replace the beams. The dining room was a step-down and when we put it back in we made the flooring in that room the same height as the kitchen floor to make it one big room. I moved the configuration of the cabinetry to make it into one common kitchen/dining area of large proportions in our country farmhouse. Each room was large to begin with, and the only rooms in the house with less than 12 or 14 foot ceilings. I was sore afraid it would end up looking like a bowling alley because the ceiling of both rooms were now at a consistant level and about eight feet. (never meaured). A white ceiling would have just visually truncated the walls from the ceiling, and played up the low height.....but by continuing the same soft camel wall paint to the ceiling, there is no demarcation and it opened the area up visually and makes it very airy. In the mind's eye it's hard to define where the wall ends and the ceiling begins.

No, I put the best quality washable paint I can find on my ceilings because I do scrub them in the kitchen area where we spend most of our day and I use gas to cook and have a fireplace. I don't use flat paint anywhere but prefer a high quality satin or eggshell latex enamel. If you think painting a ceiling is tough, try scrubbing them. LOL.

I cringed when you said popcorn ceilings. It would be a deal breaker for me.

• berniek
    12 years ago

All white is the current trend.