Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staging-bedroom vs. office

Posted by done_again (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 19:42

We hope to list our house soon and want some advice on staging. 1 of us works from home 100% of the time and the other about 50-75% of the time. The 2 secondary bedrooms in our 3 bedroom, 2000 sq. ft. house are set up as our offices with no beds. They're clearly bedrooms with closets and not bonus rooms, dens, studies, etc. The offices are kept neat and tidy and will be that way during showings. Will it look unfavorable to keep these as offices or should we try to make at least one a bedroom? We have to work while we're listed but could get by with one office going back as a bedroom but prefer not to.

Advice and opinions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staging-bedroom vs. office

I would definitely set up one as a bedroom. Many people have no imagination, and need to see how a bed, dresser, etc fit into the room.

o

I agree with terriks. Unless you could move both of the offices to a basement, I would set one up one of the current office rooms as a bedroom and leave one (hopefully one of the smaller ones) as an office.

o

I agree: you need to help them visualize that bedroom furniture fits well into the room. Can you keep the desk and just add a bed but no dresser?

o

Agree with what has been said. You need more than just 1 bedroom of a 3 bedroom house to be staged as a bedroom--preferably with a large (guest) bed. Master-only won't cut it.

o

We deliberated over this, too, but ultimately left the 2 extra bedrooms as offices in our 1500sft bungalow. We got 5 offers by the third day of showing. Go figure.

One factor might be the number of bathrooms -- we had only one bathroom, so our potential buyers were nearly all either young, childless or retired couples, or else folks with a small baby, no kids. If you want to attract families, you'd probably do best to stage one of the rooms with a twin bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here