Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristalynn89_gw

Obligation to realtor?

kristalynn89
12 years ago

A while ago i had a showing that i scheduled through the remax website for a keller williams home. The lady who got back to me (we exchanged lonly about 4 emails about me leaving town and needing a showing before a certain time) couldnt meet with me bc she was busy when i wanted to have a showing so she scheduled the showing with on e of her associates. Flash forward to now, and my dad wants me to use one of his clients as my rea to pursue doing a shortsale on this home, and the lady has decided that her claws are in me. I dont understand the complexities of rea etiquette, but what can i do about this? My rea seemed disheartened, but I never signed any sort of paperwork with the remax people and never had any conversations that would imply that one of them would serve as my agent. Do i go with the guy that gave me the showing to make things simple or is there a way that i can use my dad's guy who would give me a friend discount?

Comments (6)

• aidan_m
    12 years ago

"i had a showing that i scheduled through the remax website"

"I never signed any sort of paperwork with the remax people and never had any conversations that would imply that one of them would serve as my agent."

What did the appointment you scheduled through their website imply?

That they are a bunch of suckers willing to give free leads on short sales for you and your family friends to jump on?

The agent you contacted about that particular home is going to get a referral commission, at least, if you end up buying that property through someone else.

Unless they are the listing agent too and were going to double end the transaction. Then, maybe you can use your friend. But check into what you agreed to by signing up for the showing on the website. I'll bet it equates to a buyer-broker agreement for the property they show you.

The original agent could sue for comission. They can sue for the full amount of the comission they would ordinarilly get on the transaction. Not just the discounted comission your friend charges.

Be careful before proceeding.

• kristalynn89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I guess the easiest thing would be to go with the guy who gave me the showing, I am just annoyed because the realtor who I never met or contacted prior to this told my guy that in addition to scheduling the appt she sent me "info"- which she definitely did not. Can I go with the showing agent on this short sale and if the bank decides that it wants even more than the price on the website I could start using my own chosen realtor to pursue other properties in the area without upsetting the two remax REAs? I wouldn't mind if the showing agent got a referral in the matter, I just want to be able to make my own decisions about who I am working with. Fwiw we are in no hurry to buy a house unless it is exactly what we want (which this place is) we are saving money by living with my parents.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

I think you need some legal advice the internet cannot offer you. Not sure if you are texting or just forgetting to complete information. A bit confusing to exactly what you are looking for. Maybe renting would be better at this time. Not sure how old you are, but some places do offer courses in Real Estate. If you do not work, or go to school this would be an excellent way to learn more. Some Real Estate companies offer this.

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

You do not need a lawyer, you do not need RE courses, you do not need to rent, and I am very confused on what your age would have to do with your original questions.
    Here is my advice: Go tell the ReMax agent to pound sand! First, he never made you sign a Buyers Agency Agreement, which is a contract between you and an agent. Second, and even more importantly, he never gave you a "Working With Real Estate Agent" form, which is mandated that we do so to anyone we meet for business, at the very first substantial contact. As soon as you scheduled the appointment with him, this is the time that he was obligated to forward this form to you. It describes the three types of relationships that can exist between an agent and their client. If they persist that they remain a part of this deal, come back to them by letting them know that if they bother you anymore that you will turn them into the RE Commission for not providing this form. (It is a very big deal with the Commission). I guarantee, that he will back off fast. If he does not, call his Broker In Charge and explain the same thing to him/her. You will get action. Clicking on someone's web page for listings or an appointment does not obligate you to use their business.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

"Here is my advice: Go tell the ReMax agent to pound sand! First, he never made you sign a Buyers Agency Agreement, which is a contract between you and an agent. Second, and even more importantly, he never gave you a "Working With Real Estate Agent" form, which is mandated that we do so to anyone we meet for business, at the very first substantial contact."

ncrealestateguy-Good advice. Wish more RE agents were this helpful.

• Linda
    12 years ago

You are under no obligation to use the RE/MAX Agent at all since nothing was signed. I will say that no agent likes to waste their time emailing and showing properties to someone that ultimately doesnt plan on using them, however, in this case it seems that wasnt the original plan.

I am curious though, how do you think your dads associate is going to give you a "friend discount". You're not paying the fee to begin with, the seller is or in this case, probably the bank who holds the mortgage.