Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikilyn

Land listed as "in premature stage" What the heck does that mean?

tikilyn
9 years ago

Hi, I was looking online for land to buy and ran across 5 acres for sale and it's really really cheap. Almost to good to be true. So something is up.
The listing states that the land is in premature stages, good for hunting, 4 wheeling, horses and BBQ'ing. Nothing else is said about the land.

What do you all think that means? I haven't called the selling agent yet as I want to show it to my husband first.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• silvercomet1
    9 years ago

I have no idea what "premature stages" means, but given the uses they list for the land, I wonder if the land is not buildable for some reason?

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I think it means it's raw land, overgrown, hilly/rocky perhaps and not even close to buildable. Just my guess.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Maybe the word they wanted was "primitive"? As in undeveloped?

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

yep and that usually spells LOTS of work

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

No promises as to buildability. That means that they aren't furnishing you a wetlands map, or soil testing, or even telling you if there is electric available 10 miles from there or 5 feet from there. Everything is on you for due diligence.

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I was thinking maybe it's not buildable. We'll have to go and see it but at that price y'all are probably right. 5 acres goes anywhere from 30,000. to 60,000 depending on the area. So yeah 6,000 makes since. Could make a good shooting range if nothing else! LOL

I've included one of the three listings for you to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: linky

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

Also find out if it is even possible to get a building permit. I don't know where you are located, but here sometimes parcels are in CRP or zoned in ways that make the land 'unbuildable' even if the actual terrain doesn't cause a problem.

• new-beginning
    9 years ago

I have had relatives living in that town, (my uncle was the tax assessor/collector for the school district) but right now only my Uncle's widow is still there - she also worked for the tax office of the school district - if you have some specific questions you would like answered from a long time resident, let me know and I'll ask her if I can give you her phone number.

• christopherh
    9 years ago

One Realtor here found a way to tell the truth with listings like these. He puts "recreation use" in the listings.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

As flat as is shows, could you be concerned about the weather if you were there,, with no shelters? tornados, straight line winds, sudden storms etc?

• new-beginning
    9 years ago

this is in South Texas - all the land in that region is flat - hurricane country, very near where all the Honduran refugees are coming over from Mexico. Also known as Snow-Bird country for all the northern folks that spend their winters in the area.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I guess the big question is: What do *you* want to do with it?

• User
    9 years ago

Tik,
    Go look at it.
    Call the realtor and make an appointment.
    Ask them questions, and the answers they don't have, which will be few, you can always go down to the county building and ask your questions there.
    Man, that is cheap.
    I can see why you are tempted.
    I'd be calling the realtor.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

There might not be a road that goes to it. And of course no electricity, water sewer....