Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jumbo loan question

Posted by daaw1 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 15:01

I contacted a bank the other day asking about a jumbo loan. The following was the reply, "On Jumbo Loans which are anything over the conforming limit of $417,000, the minimum credit score is 720 and the maximum LTV is 80%."

Is this universal or do all jumbos require an LTV of 80%?
I wanted to do around 3% on a 550k loan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jumbo loan question

You want a 550k loan and only have $16,500 to put down?

Better keep looking for a cheaper house, especially in the mortgage market today.

o

My question had to do with the LTV of jumbos. No one said I only had $16,500.00 available to put down. I could in fact put over 20% down but WHY would I?

Now that you mention it, why would ANYONE put 20% down on a house in this market IF it's not needed? I would rather have the mortgage company take the risk if they are willing.

o

Hi daaw,

I have been successful in securing up to 90% LTV on Jumbo purchases up to $1.5MM... its doable (but not at 3%.)

Further, depending on the location of the property (the "MSA" or the zip code, if it is determined as "high cost") you *may* be qualified for 'Conforming Jumbo' which ranges from $417,001 to as high as $729,750. Each high cost area has different maximum levels.

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o

"I would rather have the mortgage company take the risk if they are willing."

Risk costs money,

That is why jumbos are a fraction of a point above conforming in most cases.

o

brickeyee,

"Risk cost money"

agreed, I just have a hard time with the thought of putting over 100k down on a 550k house.

Dave,

exactly what I needed to know...that less than 20% is possible.

o

"I just have a hard time with the thought of putting over 100k down on a 550k house."

You are going to find the lenders have a similar viewpoint, especially given all the recent 'issues' in the secondary mortgage market and the increase in foreclosure rates.

The lender wants to make sure the borrower has enough 'skin' in the game to not walk away, and if the borrower does default that they can actually sell the property for the mortgage balance.

If you want to purchase expensive real estate, get used to large numbers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here