Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

What does it mean if a guest says that your house is cozy?

needinfo001
9 years ago

I had a carpenter out to fix a bedroom door. When he walked through the hall way he said "this is a cozy little spot you have here".

Lol
What does that mean?
Is it good or bad?

Comments (16)

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

Cozy: giving a feeling of comfort, warmth, and relaxation

Or he could just mean he thinks it's small.

Could be good or bad depending on the tone.

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

Cozy usually means small when you are talking houses. I don't think he was talking badly about your house. Just that it was small. NancyLouise

• User
    9 years ago

Cozy=a smaller house than his.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It can mean it's small, or it's cute and comfortable. Intonation?

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I would take it as a positive. He probably meant comfortable and inviting.

• nini804
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree that he most likely meant comfortable and inviting. Now if he were a real estate agent calling it cozy...I'd think small. But to a regular person...cozy is more of a feeling.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

To me, cozy would be a big compliment. I don't think of it as a size - I think of it, as nini said, as a feeling. A very good feeling.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Why are you so concerned about a random comment a carpenter said?

• needinfo001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im not concerned that he said it. Just wondering what he meant. The way he said it, im pretty sure he meant it positively.

• kitasei
    9 years ago

Coziness is in short supply in houses now. So many of even the great old ones have been opened up inside, had skylights and windows punched through their envelopes, interior ceilings removed to create cathedral ceilings, etc. To enter a house designed to keep its inhabitants physically comfortable as opposed to exalted and freezing induces a wonderful sensation of..coziness! Imagine! A house where one can have a private conversation in a separate room at the end of a hall...

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Maybe he was trying to pick you up.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I think cozy means different things to people. I don't share the same definition of cozy for example as drymanhattan. Large windows and bringing nature closer to the inside is cozy to me along with how a house seems lived in vs. Looking like nobody lives there.

But in terms of space and real estate it would mean small to me.

• who2ted
    9 years ago

"Cozy" is the second word a RE agent learns after "commission". It is required somewhere in every home listing, even huge homes have a cozy fireplace or a cozy three car garage. To a carpenter it probably means you have a nice cozy beer cooler.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

"To a carpenter it probably means you have a nice cozy beer cooler"

No, that would be koozie....

• galore2112
    9 years ago

Cozy = cramped
    Charming = falling apart
    Character = has never been updated