Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamplanter

Home Inspection

blueheron
15 years ago

If when you sign the agreement offer which includes a paragraph stating that the seller has to repair anything that will cost over $250 to fix, are you obligated to fix everything over that amount? Or is it negotiable? The radon is high which means we will have to pay to mediate it. I don't have a problem with that.

But the agent mentioned some electrical issues which I don't think will amount to much. As far as we know, all electrical systems are working. The agent mentioned some outlets that don't work. We are not aware of any, but there are some that have to be turned on by a wall switch.

The house has been sale pending for about a week or so and an agent called today to show the house tomorrow. We were surprised because we thought agents didn't show houses with a sale pending. They can't make an offer or anything unless our sale falls through, can they?

Comments (10)

• richard_f
    15 years ago

You can show a house with the sale pending, and you can take backup offers, at least where I live.

The inspector may have just missed the fact that some outlets are switched. Ask for a copy of the report.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I think that a seller would be crazy to sign such an open ended sale agreement. The ones that I see usually have a cap on repairs, such as "seller will perform repairs up to $xxx.xx", not that the seller will do all repairs over a certain dollar amount.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

I take it you didn't find the advice to not enter such a contract useful in your previous post.

Sounds to me like you'd have to fix anything that would cost over $250 based on what you posted is in your contract.

A sale pending is just that - pending. It could fall apart at any time until it actually is sold. I'm guessing most agents don't want to show those to not get their customers hopes up, but I know as a buyer I'd still look and put in for a back-up offer if the house interested me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueheron's original question

• blueheron
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your replies. We will see what happens now.

• logic
    15 years ago

blueheron: "But the agent mentioned some electrical issues which I don't think will amount to much. As far as we know, all electrical systems are working. The agent mentioned some outlets that don't work. We are not aware of any, but there are some that have to be turned on by a wall switch."

Do not rely upon a game of telephone with your agent. If you don't have an attorney protecting your interests in the sale...ask to see the portions of the HI report that cites EXACTLY what the electrical issues may be, as well as what the HI recommended in terms of addressing the issues in order that you know for sure if they were indeed outlets that need only to be switched onÂ..

It is always best to deal with the facts as presented in the report as opposed to someone elses understanding and hearsay which may or may not be mistaken.

• sue36
    15 years ago

What is the EXACT language re: the $200?

I agree with the other poster about not agreeing to such a clause (sounds like you already did, though). I have a good friend who is a home inspector. He could inspect ANY house and find thousands of dollars of repairs. The language of the clause is vital. Does it cover code violations only? When is something a necessary repair and when it merely a flaw?

• logic
    15 years ago

sue36: "Does it cover code violations only?"

Highly doubtful, as HI's do not inspect for code violations as it is beyond the scope of a home inspection.

The OP appears to reside in PA. Their HI regulations require the HI to adhere to the SOP's of nationally recognized HI organizations. That last I heard, the 3 that qualify in PA as "nationally recognized" are ASHI, NAHI and NACHI. All three exclude inspecting for code violations in their SOP's.

That said, IF the HI is citing code violations the OP should verify the findings with his/her town/city building inspectorÂÂ or verify that the HI is a licensed code inspector as well as an HI and therefore actually qualified to cite code issues.

• blueheron
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input. I am waiting for the agent to fill us in as to what the inspection revealed.

• logic
    15 years ago

blueheron: "I am waiting for the agent to fill us in as to what the inspection revealed."

I repeat...it is in your best interests to request a copy of the report that the agent is citing. Interpret for yourself...do not passively accept the agent reading it for you..and then rely upon his/her understanding.

• blueheron
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Met with the agent tonight. He gave us a copy of the report. We will be doing some electrical repairs and the radon mediation. Our tax rebate that we will get at settlement from the buyers will cover it...lol.