Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

Posted by emb_bos (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 12:58

We have put an offer on the house that we like with contingent upon us selling our current house. There is also "right of first refusal" contingency in the offer letter. We have 10 days to do home inspection, then can sign the P&S.
Now we are not sure if we should go ahead and spend $400 on the home inspection, if we only have 50-50 chance of getting this house. What worries us is our current house won�t get sold, or if the seller received another offer, then we only have 72 hrs to get mortgage on the house without us selling our current house. We definitely won�t be able to get the mortgage unless we sell our current house.
Now what should we do? Should we go ahead with the home inspection and hope for the best? Or should we take the risk and not do the home inspection?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

Personally, I would not spend the money and get the inspection if you have not sold your house.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

Not sure why anyone would take your "offer" anyway,you are in a tough spot as a purchaser..1st, you need to sell your current home to afford the home you have offered to buy,2nd)if another offer comes in,you're kinda out of luck(see 1st reason)..3rd) even if you spent the 400 bucks on an inspection,there is no gurantee you'll ever get this home(see 1 and 2 above)

My suggestion is withdraw your offer, and concentrate on selling your home,becuase without selling, you ain't buying..


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

I was thinking the same thing as qdwag .. not sure why you are purchasing now if you don't have a buyer with a mortgage commitment already in their hands.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

What does your agent say?
My suggestion is to amend the offer to say that you will perform an inspection upon an acceptable offer on your property at ........street within 5 days after acceptance.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

We had an offer to buy contingent on our house selling. We actually sold our house about 6 months after closing on the new one. Fortunately we were able to go ahead and get the house we wanted without selling. Unfortunately we sold our house for much less than we would have taken if we had not of already committed ourselves.

The seller probably wouldn't have taken your offer unless they didn't have any other options. Something for you to consider on the sale of your house. I wouldn't withdraw it but wouldn't commit myself to any time tables or expenditures.

If I had it to do over again I'd sell first then start looking.

Good luck.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

If you can't afford to carry two mortgages and the possibility of losing $400 on an inspection is worrying you, then you aren't really in a position to buy another home at this time. Yes, there are "bargains" out there. But they are only bargains if you can afford their total costs. You can't without selling. So, concentrate on selling if you want to buy and let this one pass by.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

We decided not to do home inspection and just go with the flow. We are willing to loose this new house if someone else made another offer. We're concentrating on selling our house now. However I do like berniek suggestion. I might bring that back to my agent.
The seller is happy with getting our offer and actually willing to stay and wait for 3 months.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

I think your quote:

The seller is happy with getting our offer and actually willing to stay and wait for 3 months.

Speaks volumes about your "local" market...How long do you think it'll take YOU to sell?

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

Well..the house we put an offer on was on the market for 26 days. On average houses sold in my area 30 - 45 days. Hope for the best. Thank you.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

You must live in the best market in the US.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

If the market is THAT strong,i wonder why the seller would take a contingency offer from you??? There would seem to be no reason in a market where homes sell that quickly


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

"There is also "right of first refusal" contingency in the offer letter."

First refusal for who to do what?

An offer letter is also not a contract.

When the offer is signed by all parties, it actually becomes a contract, and not until that moment.

Do you mean a 'kick out' clause?

Those are common when the purchase is contingent on a buyer selling their present home.

If the seller finds another bona fide buyer, the actual contract calls out the first buyer has some period of time (often a short time like 48 hours) to remove (or waive) the home sale contingency or the contract is canceled.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

We're in the Boston surrounding..not too far from the city.

The seller is an older couple, who wants to downsize. I have the feeling they're happy with the 3 months, it gives them time to get ready to move and pack.

brickeyee - yes it is the kick out clause and all parties signed the offer agreement. We have 72 hrs to response if another offer comes in.


 o
RE: Home Inspection or Not - Contingency Clause

A quick Google search gives average days on Market for Worcester County MA as 120-127 for the month of July 2010

I'd make sure your REA isn't pulling your leg.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here