Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

gas fireplace insert

3katz4me
9 years ago

We are looking at a property that has a Heat & Glo gas insert in the fireplace. It's a lovely, massive stone fireplace with this gas insert. I think the house was originally built with this. Does anyone know if you can replace gas insert with an energy efficient wood burning insert such as a Heat & Glo or Cozy Heat? In this case there is a "chimney" coming up through the roof but it looks to be just a smaller metal pipe vs. a regular chimney.

We've always had wood burning fires vs. gas and prefer that as long as it's something efficient like Cozy Heat, Vermont Castings, etc.

Comments (14)

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Could you check with a place that sells fireplaces?

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I will

• jrb451
    9 years ago

I wouldn't think that the gas flue pipe would accommodate a switch over to wood burning and it sounds like it from your description - "originally built" and "smaller metal pipe". I'm guessing you'd need a larger diameter one that can handle higher flue temps.

• helsharmar
    9 years ago

If you're still interested, I don't have a lot of information for you, but we did convert a gas FP to wood burning. The chimney has to meet certain criteria (which I can't specify), but I do know it can be done.

• OttawaGardener
    9 years ago

I don't see why not. If a wood-burning fireplace has a gas insert installed, the process can be reversed. There are no structural changes, right? (We have one, and the direct vent was placed inside the brick chimney)

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

You might want to check with your town's code enforcement department also. There may be safety codes that have to be met before the switch over to wood burning. NancyLouise

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

You might want to check with your town's code enforcement department also. There may be safety codes that have to be met before the switch over to wood burning. NancyLouise

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

A local sweep/stove store should be able to come out, look things over, and tell you what is possible and what is not.
    At least I got a free inspection/estimate before I had my insert installed.
    Worth some phone calls.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, if it was wood burning it's not a big deal to convert it back to wood. However if it was built with a flue for gas only that is where the problem lies. We opted not to buy the property in question but many we have looked at have gas. I'm trying to convince myself I'd be satisfied with gas. It is easy if you want to quickly warm up the area and see some "fake" flames. I just saw a new gas insert some friends put in their wood burning fireplace and it's the best one I've seen. Still nothing like the blazing wood fire we had this weekend in our Cozy Heat.

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

I have to agree with you gibby. I just don't care for the "fakeiness" of a gas flame. I much prefer real. We replaced our old ornate parlor stove with a glass front Hearthstone wood stove a few years ago. So glad we did. Besides it keeping the rooms toasty warm, I love the flames and the ambiance it creates. Call me crazy, we even like chopping and stacking the wood which is free from the downed trees on our property. NancyLouise

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

I have to agree with you gibby. I just don't care for the "fakeiness" of a gas flame. I much prefer real. We replaced our old ornate parlor stove with a glass front Hearthstone wood stove a few years ago. So glad we did. Besides it keeping the rooms toasty warm, I love the flames and the ambiance it creates. Call me crazy, we even like chopping and stacking the wood which is free from the downed trees on our property. NancyLouise

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

I wonder why my posts are doubling? Is it because I use Preview before I post...strange

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

I wonder why my posts are doubling? Is it because I use Preview before I post...strange

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

You can always edit the duplicates down to "duplicate".