Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie_ndcal

hgtv

marie_ndcal
12 years ago

Maybe if the people here or any forum would write positive letters to the station letting them know what we like--and why and what we don't and why, they would bring the programs more in line to today's market.

Example: How to repair homes damaged by flood, earthquakes, tornadoes etc. What to save, how to get rid of damaged materials, when to demolish and when to rebuild.

Just my idea

Comments (29)

• OttawaGardener
    12 years ago

Excellent idea! Also, more about affordable & not wacky renos. e.g. I like Candice Olson, but find she has high-end choices.

Although Love It or List It is a Canadian show, and our RE market and economic conditions are good, I don't like that they encourage the clients to buy what seems to me to be unaffordable homes. How can a young couple afford $700,000+ homes? What if the market drops?

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

I am so sick of seeing House Hunters International. Like I can relate to some rich people buying their summer home on some tropical island.

Another thing I don't like about some shows is the camera work. It's so jerky and it never stays on the room long enough so I can get a good look. Maybe they think that makes it look like a reality show or something. It drives me crazy!

• jjaazzy
    12 years ago

I love watching House Hunters International, especially when they go to Italy and you see the insides of these homes and the people are in LOVE and I say to myself. OMG! Gutt it! But I think it is very educational to see how the other half lives.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I agree with Love, I don't like HHI! Also agree with Jjaaz that it's educational. Have learned that I do feel so glad that I live in the USA after watching these shows. Don't have any desire to own so much as a garden shed abroad. We are very lucky here.

The thought of buying a vacation home in some island paradise like Costa Rica, lovely though it may be, is a nauseating thought for me. Owning a home so far away would be so anxiety provoking imo!

While I was back in the USA, what if a storm came to town? Or a pipe burst? Or someone broke in? Or graffiti was sprayed all over the place?

For someone like me who has a talent for finding things to worry about it would be a nightmare. Ugh.

The most talented person on HGTV, imo, is Sarah Richardson. Her taste is exquisite, impeccable. It's surprising that HGTV wants to have anything to do with her...not a sequined pillow or tangerine wall in sight when she's done with a project!

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

I agree. I can't stand House Hunters anymore because it seems to be on all the time. And yes, I am completely amazed that in this economy some young couple or family has the money to fly to some exotic destination and buy a "vacation home". Show me a House Hunter's WV, where someone is looking for a rustic weekend cabin... that I could relate too :)

I also do like Sarah's House because she usually talks about saving money & budget (although our budgets are no where close). Scott McGillivray can also do some amazing renovations on a budget. Disaster DIY is nice because the hose, Bryan Baeumler comes in to rescue a would be DIY'er, but SHOWS him or her, what they did wrong, and the correct way to do him, without being mean about it.

I used to like "Buy Me" because it showed people having problems selling their houses, and I hoped to learn from their mistakes.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

The only TV decorators I like are Sarah Richardson (of Sarah's House and Design Inc) and Sandra Olsen. But they both over decorate, which may improve a camera shot for TV. I watch House Hunting Int'l and am reminded every time how lucky I am to live here in the USA where even a modest home is nicer than these vacation or relocation homes. While it is nice to have a pretty view, I want the house itself to be roomy, workable and comfortable.

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

Yes, Sarah Richardson is good. And Candace Olsen, even though you know her budget is only something to fantasize about. There's a new one now. A couple from NYC. That looked pretty good. What about Genevieve? She's always so nice and positive!

You know which one I hate? Property Virgins! That real estate agent is so condescending and patronizing!

My all-time favorite is "If These Walls Could Talk."

• graywings123
    12 years ago

People on the HGTV forums have complained for years about the programming without any apparent success.

• phoggie
    12 years ago

Another one that dislikes HHI. It is time for a change in programing. I "used" to really love HGTV when they showed the way "normal America" lives. Most of us don't have the budget to decorate so elaborately as most do or buy a vacation home...in this economy, that is not the way the average person lives.

I am so glad that "Trading Spaces" was taken off....I would die if I came home to straw stuck on my walls!

• azmom
    12 years ago

Does anyone like Holmes on Homes? I love the show. He would be our home inspector when we purchase our next house, LOL!

I don't like the realtor in the Property Virgin either. Very con artistish, she seems never gives advice to help the inexperienced home buyers and is only interested in making the sales.

I like the new Curb Appeal, especially they fix up neighboring homes with small budgets but good results.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

azmom - I love Holmes on Holmes too, but haven't watched it lately. When were first but our investment house, I was watching Holmes on Holmes a lot.

One day my DH was starting demolition in the bathroom. Our 2 yr old granddaughter walked in and waved her hand around and said "That's not right, tear it out!".

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I am so sick of seeing House Hunters International. Like I can relate to some rich people buying their summer home on some tropical island.

I am tired of those types of episodes on HHI, but love the ones in countries like Turkey and Bulgaria! It's so interesting to see how people live in other countries. But the episodes where a rich couple buys a vacation home in a gated community on a tropical island? Ugh!

• C Marlin
    12 years ago

I love HHI, but I am tired of the Caribbean, I love seeing other parts of the world.
    What is wrong with buying a house in a gated community? No, I don't own one, but they don't bother me.
    I hate Holmes, I don't want to know how to do repairs, I just want to live in a nice house...

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I don't think that Terriks has a problem with gated communities per se, but is speaking to the disconnect between "tropical island" & "gated community." Like "suburban" & "island getaway" don't really fit together in the same breath. Not that either is bad. Terriks correct me if I misinterpreted!

Holmes' show scares me. He's talented & wonderful & the show is interesting to a point for me, but then I have to turn it off because some things I'm just better off not understanding, or even being aware of. Ignorance is bliss.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Thanks stinky, that's kind of what I meant. I mean, how different is an exclusive gated community on a tropical island vs. the exclusive gated community that the buyers live in full time? (and no, I have nothing against gated communities) I like watching the HHI episodes that show how ordinary people live in other parts of the world. Sure, sometimes it's fun to see some over the top homes, but I prefer when they portray the culture of the area.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

"Show me a House Hunter's WV, where someone is looking for a rustic weekend cabin... that I could relate too"

Same here. I'd like to see an episode where they scope out different types of mountain getaways right here in the U.S.A..

I enjoy watching HH International because it is interesting to see the inside of foreign properties and the types of plumbing/appliances they have.

I have a bathroom I'd like to remodel and can visualize having an under the counter washer/dryer combo there.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I thought I was the only one who liked the HHI episodes in Europe/Asia but hated the ones at beach destinations. My simple rule: if there are palm trees involved, I'm not interested.

I'm also in agreement with most that Sarah Richardson and Candice Olsen are two of the better ones. I also like Scott McGillivray's work, but don't like that the whole premise of his show is based on folks who can't afford their big house, so sink MORE money into it with the promise of the carefree life of a landlord (insert snort here). And, of course, those shows are all Canadian imports.

There's very little "G" left in the "HGTV", but I do like Curb Appeal and Curb Appeal, The Block. The latter in particular makes some inexpensive fixes that work well. I don't like the Jamie Durie (sp?) show where some overblown lanscaping project inspired by his foreign travels is plopped down in some couple's back yard in Encino.

And while I'm on the Jamie Durie rant, can we include him and all of the other Australian handymen/contractors in the immigration debate? Are there no home-grown guys who can do the job? Are we all still considered to be so enamored of Outback Steakhouse and Crocodile Dundee that the producers spec at least one Aussie accent per show?

rant over/

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

It's the accent, Jakabedy! Saying "hammer" with a British/Australian accent just sounds so much more authoritative, LOL! Don't these guys make being a handyman seem so much more sophisticated & glamorous & interesting than American men would? I think HGTV execs imagine we females think so! So silly.

• logic
    12 years ago

Love Sarah Richardson & Tommy; she and her team do great things with an actual budget...and often buy very inexpensive pieces and re-invent.

Candace has great taste..but her designs seem to be all of the same style from home to home. Also, her budget has to be sky high.....and as such, many of the rooms she designs do not actually fit with the house...and sometimes makes the rest of the house look like the poor stepchild.

Last but not least, it is much easier to achieve a wow factor with a huge budget. Real talent shows when one can achieve the same or better on much less money....aka Sabrina Soto..another one of my favorites.

The Novograth's have a style that is very trendy young urban hip...but pretty much does not translate well IMO to most lifestyles.

However, its always wise to have something for everyone. But...I really think that they seem to want to be teens once again...which means they are not comfortable in their own skin. IMO, that is reflected in their designs. A non-issue, but I noticed that in the promo shot they show of them they look like brother and sister. I guess it's true that a lot of people marry those who resemble them.

I would love to see Lisa LaPorta and Clive Pierce as a team again. Supposedly a show is in the works. Design to Sell is just not as good without them.

I agree HH and HHI have been done to death. What is up with Europe and their mobil kitchens? I even saw one where they were looking at rentals that had no kitchen other than an empty room for the kitchen. And I agree that in this economy the vacation home seekers are a bit of an annoyance.

I too am glad I don't live abroad...nice place to visit, as the saying goes.

Last but not least, I would LOVE to see an episode of Design Star where the judges have to complete a crazy project in the time span given..and see how they measure up....LOL!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

"I thought I was the only one who liked the HHI episodes in Europe/Asia but hated the ones at beach destinations. My simple rule: if there are palm trees involved, I'm not interested." Exactly!

Except...I have to admit I don't really watch any more at all. Not anything.
    Felt as though I'd seen enough houses one day and never went back.

Gardens would be a nice change.
    But NOT Disney back yards. Actual gardening.
    Tree and shrub advice for various zones.
    Pruning talks!
    How To Keep Deer Away.
    How to Attract Butterflies.
    Growing vegetables.

Okay, I used to watch Victory Garden on PBS years ago. :)

• blueheron
    12 years ago

Another one here who doesn't like HHI beach destinations. Love the Europe/Asia ones. I keep looking for some shows that take place in England, but only saw one.

How come so many of the real estate shows take place in Canada? The house prices seem so high for ordinary houses that would be much cheaper here in the US.

• finz2left
    12 years ago

My problem with even "Designed to Sell" or Property Brothers is they fail to account for how much LABOR costs...and they always find "deals" I could never find because of their tv connections.

• morningstarlet
    12 years ago

I would watch Holmes on Homes more if they didn't have that BLARING music playing throughout the show. You can barely hear the people talk over the loud music.

On some of those house buying shows I'm amazed at the high expectations of some of the buyers. Some of the kitchens they think need "updating" look fine to me. Or they want to replace perfectly good appliances because they aren't stainless steel. Are people really that spoiled today?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Are people really that spoiled today?

In sponsor-driven hgtv land they are. How else are they going to foster a sense of shame to drive you to buy things you don't need?

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

"...they fail to account for how much LABOR costs..." Well-said, Finz! That's only THE most expensive part of any repair or re-do...by far!

Morningstarlet and Writersblock, yes, HGTV has definitely created needs and expectations regarding what houses "must" have to be acceptable! It's amazing to me what power the network has yielded over our culture. Shelter mags in publication for decades have never been able to dictate and drive the image of what houses should look like & how they should function they way HGTV has.

• phoggie
    12 years ago

I get so disgusted at very young couples (some not even married yet)buying new homes....they think they have to have the very best in everything....things that their parents worked and saved for probably 40+ years. What is the "big thing" about having to have stainless steel and granite, and them saying, "yeck" to white kitchens? To each their own~~ Someday they might wish they didn't have those house payments~~

Another thing, while I am on my soap box, has anyone else noticed how much wallpaper they are using again in their decorating? Don't tell me that after helping my children take it off of their walls, it is coming back in style!!!

One thing about "Spice my Kitchen", they do say in the end how much labor went into making it happen...but who knows if it is the right amount or not?

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

"Another thing, while I am on my soap box, has anyone else noticed how much wallpaper they are using again in their decorating? Don't tell me that after helping my children take it off of their walls, it is coming back in style!!! "

Oh, say it ain't so! I didn't think I would ever get all the wallpaper off the walls here. I swore I would never put any up in my houses!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I've noticed the wallpaper too. I'll paint the walls to look like wallpaper before I ever put that stuff back on my walls.

• Cindy1961
    12 years ago

HGTV has the same problem just about all the "discovery" type channels have, and that's making everything look too easy.

Until HGTV started doing shows about it, how many people did you know that flipped houses? I knew exactly...none. Suddenly, HGTV shows it and Bam! in a year, I know two people who are attempting to make a living at it, and about five other folks who are buying property and trying to flip it as a "hobby." And most of these folks have no more experience in renovations other than maybe painting their own home. But because HGTV makes it look soooo easy, they think they can do it. None of the folks I know were ever successful at it. One did three houses and realized she was working for two dollars an hour when all was said and done. So much for that killing she was going to make.

It's like the storage shows. Very few people knew about storage auctions before and there was a good reason, because there aren't many of them and making money at them isn't easy. A few guys knew about it, and they would buy them and try to make a living selling the stuff. Sometimes they hit a jackpot, but most of the time they got a unit full of junk. But if you watch those shows, you start to think every unit is going to have a pot of gold in it! Next thing you know it, there are five hundred people at the auction, bidding on three units. You drive the people who used to make a living at it out of their living and instead you have a bunch of ammatures who just mess it up by inflating the cost of units.

On SOME they try to explain that they are only showing the few lucky ones, but on most of them, they neglect to tell you that, and make it seem like this is an awesome way to make a living. It isn't. If it was, you wouldn't have learned about it on a TV show, you would have known people who did it.

I'm waiting for them to start doing shows about the flea market people. I'm sure they'll show people buying this stuff and the sellers making huge money. What they won't show is the hours in the hot sun trying to make enough money to justify buying the space. They won't show the endless customers arguing about the cost of a twenty five cent item. They won't show the days that start out sunny, but turn rainy, or the windy days where half your stuff gets blown to the ground and destroyed. Or, if they do show it, they'll show it once in a blue moon, making people think it's super rare, when it's not.

All these shows are a farce. The latest are the auction shows, where they give people the idea that their stuff will auction for HUGE money, often OVER the estimated value. Sure, maybe if you own something that's one of a kind, but desirable, but in truth, the economy has affected everything. I've seen stuff worth 400+ go out the door of an auction house for 10 dollars.