Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Always fun: bad RE photos

jakkom
10 years ago

Ran across a couple from Curbed Seattle, who has an archive full of bad local RE shots.

The snarky meme caption on this one read, "Look, Honey, we can have the bathroom from "Saw"!"
Even if one was trying to sell a fixer-upper and wanted a potential buyer to know
what they were getting into, this is pretty awful, LOL:
{{!gwi}}

This one went from odd (plastic over the bedspreads?) to creepy (life-sized doll).
At least, I hope it's a doll!
{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

No way would I ever open this refrigerator door.

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

Sorry duplicate post

This post was edited by barbcollins on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 17:05

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

Wow, just wow! I think I threw up a little bit with that last one, Barb.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

I suppose us agents just can't win...
    When we don't show every room in the house, people complain and say we are hiding defects, and now you ridicule the agents for doing just that.
    What is so wrong with showing these pics? The potential buyers, I am sure, appreciate it.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

ncrealestateguy, I understand why you would be frustrated. The bathroom photo I have no issue with. The bedroom speaks to the whole idea of staging. When people are touring that house and see that room, they will be focused on the plastic and the furnishings instead of on the potential the room has. I'm guessing its an old house and those furnishing just remind you thats its a really old house.
    No sure what to say about the basement, lol.

How would you have handled that with a seller? just curious.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

I rarely show pictures of secondary bedrooms unless there are some unique features like built ins. Most pictures of secondary bedrooms only show walls and floors, which then force the viewer to focus on the personal items such as furnishings, such as you are doing. So, I usually just leave them out.

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

NC - Sorry, I did not intend to bash the agent for showing the basement pic. It was just a shocking photo. You can easily guess it is a foreclosure.

I am sure they would rather have people see that mess before they show up at the house and run for their life.

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

Darn duplicate posts!

This post was edited by barbcollins on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 18:14

• xamsx
    10 years ago

ncrealestateguy IMO 6-8 pictures is usually enough unless the property is an estate. You'll never catch me crabbing that something is being hidden with fewer than 463,712 pictures showing every corner of the house. Less is more!

As for the pics above - WTF!? That doll picture is just wrong. My hope is it was a clueless homeowner selling FSBO and not a knowledgeable Realtor posting that one.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I always like to look at the uglyhouse pics by the poster in the Phoenix area.

Here is a link that might be useful: uglyhouses

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

xamsx: I've seen plenty of bad photos that were from "professionals." Our local MLS is full of bathrooms with toilet seats up, fuzzy/dark/out of focus shots, kitchens with cluttered counters and dishes in the sink, backs of chairs/plants in the foreground, cats on couches, I could go on and on.

We were FSBO for a while and had professional photos on our website. When we hired a realtor, we told them they could just use our photos, but they wanted to take their own set. I had to veto most of their photos because they weren't taken as well as ours. And they seemed oblivious to details like shadows on the front of the house, shoes/purses visible where they had left them, etc.

So don't be stereotyping FSBOs. :-)

• xamsx
    10 years ago

Weedyacres, oh I have too, believe me! A friend just listed, so I was looking at a LOT of toilet pictures, corners of rooms, and single chairs in living rooms this past week.

No slight meant toward knowledgeable FSBO, although I've seen even more doozies on the local FSBO sites than the Realtor mls. My "hope" is that all Realtors know better than to post a pic like that... but I know better than that too.

BTW, even with a Realtor we do professional real estate photographer photos.