Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbellotti84

New Home Structural Upgrades

sbellotti84
9 years ago

Hey all!

Just purchased an end unit town home (9ft main floors). I was hoping to get some advice from you guys about what structural upgrades you would recommend for my unit. I've included the floor plan. **FYI: We did not choose the Optional Ground/Upper floor plans**

Some structural things I was thinking about where:
- the addition of windows in the kitchen/dining area
- I was also looking at moving the kitchen arounds so i wouldn't have to deal with that large box in the corner (stairs location)
-8ft doors
...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Steve

Here is a link to the floor plan just incase.

http://www.elementsajax.com/woodside.html

FYI: the exterior wall is on the left side, where the kitchen is. Also, our floor plan will be flipped since we chose the other side end unit. Just to clear things up!

Comments (18)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Your first home, right? The exterior appearance of a townhome cannot be altered. So no window additions. Moving a kitchen is a VERY expensive and difficult proposition, if it can be done at all. The plumbing runs and electrical changes add up, especially since you live in multi family housing. The average kitchen redo in the US is 55K and that involves moving nothing.

Live in it for a year while saving your money. Then decide on what changes you want to make after also using that year to educate yourself about home improvement. You never end up raising the value f your home for as much as any project will cost you. And it always costs more than you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost vs. Value

• sbellotti84
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Holly!

Yup, first home; not a forever home either....5-6 years we'll spend there.

Interesting, I didn't know you couldn't add windows to a townhouse. Good to know. Even if it's a freehold?

Which upgrades do you suggest us doing through the builder that would be difficult afterwards. keeping in mind that we'll only be living there 5-6 years.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

So... WAIT a minute.

Is this a not yet built townhome?

That changes the answers. And this forum is really not the one for that (try building and/or kitchens).

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Except adding windows, if that is an option, since you are on an end unit, I don't think I'd do anything differently.

The kitchen is definitely just fine the say it is. That corner is hard to use space anyway, so having it walled really isn't a big deal. With the fridge at the far end, the kitchen is very functional as is.

• rgps
    9 years ago

We bought a not yet finished condo 8 years ago and didn't upgrade anything except the flooring which was nasty basic builder junk. Don't regret the decision at all. However, If adding a window is an option they offer do it.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You are only talking about structural upgrades?

We added a skylight in our master bath, which was a very smart decision. Love it.
    Also made the ceiling in our master bedroom a vaulted ceiling, which opened the room up. Money well worth spent.

Also, a bigger deck.

What about things like hardwood floor and some of the other finishes?

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I like the plans, actually.

If I did anything, I'd be tempted to move the bathroom so it wasn't between the kitchen and the dining room. (Don't want smells near food). Might be to hard to do. I like the idea of skylights in the bathroom. (Ventilation and light) But whether that is possible depends on whether you have a pitched roof and what is above you. Looks like your master bath isn't on the top floor.

Think about location. Sometimes plans are standardized and don't take that into account. Would windows in any of these locations have a good view? Have neighbors a bit too close? Be near a dumpster? Which side of the house is shaded or windy?

This post was edited by edlincoln on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 12:58

• sbellotti84
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm open to structural or cosmetic/interior upgrades. Thanks to all who have written so far!

The master bath is on the top level, how much would a skylight cost? Would it be desired by future buyers of the home?

My main concern with the kitchen was a lack of counter/storage space. I like the idea of a full "L" shape but due to the wall in the corner, it's not possible.

Never really thought about moving the bathtroom, I'm not too sure where else it would go to be honest. Windows added in the kitchen would be facing our neighbours (we both have pie shape lots so we wouldn't be directly beside them). The hosue is facing NE in the backyard and the front points SW.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Is the basement finished? I'd definitely do that.

Skylights. I think people like them because they increase light and open up the bathroom. Light and bright sells.

Also vaulted ceiling.

How much does your builder charge for a skylight if it is even offered? They range from 800-2K, with the average about 1500.00, but it depends on the skylight.

Looking at your floor plan, I also would consider adding additional windows on the exterior wall, especially for the bedroom that has one very small window --- unless all you see is your neighbors house wall.

How light is the house in general?

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Probably not worth the cost, but I'd move the bathroom to the Great Room, the other side of the kitchen.

Skylights in the bathroom provide light without letting neighbors peer in your windows, and if they open they can let moisture out to control mold. If it's above the tub, it's less of a problem if it leaks. No idea if buyer like that. I've always thought designing a house for the next buyer is a losing game...a lot of what buyers want is based on fads and fashions that change.

Which part of the diagram faces north? Which side faces south? I'm not clear from the diagram what the front is. Any notable views in your neighborhood? Which windows? What direction does the wind come from?

• sbellotti84
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have to take a look at the plans again re: moving the bathroom to great room/other side of kitchen...whereabouts in the great room/otherside of kitchen did you mean?

Good point about designing for the next buyer...after all it is my house....not a rental property.

The great room/ back of the house faces NE and the front of the house/dining room faces southwest. The front of the house is where the dining room/covefed porch is...as for wind...couldn't tell ya! We back onto a ravine, so there is no one behind us.

If our house was in the 12'oclock position our neighbours to the right of us would be facing 1 o'clock....his pie shaped lot is bigger than mine so we are not parallel to one another.

hope that helps.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Have you seen a model? Is the powder room location really awkward? It seems to me that it's far enough from the dining room and kitchen. There's a hallway in between.

I'd also consider making the deck larger.

• sbellotti84
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No models unfortunately. I'm only going by what you folks see in the plans. I mean I think it's fairly centrally located...and moving a bathroom would probably be very expensive no?

The deck is pretty chinsy i know.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You have plenty of prep counter space.

People think they need an L for counter, but really, you need space between the sink and the stove. In your case, the sink is across from the stove. Therefore, you'll be doing your prep either on the island, or next to the stove.

No need for the corner counter. :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

OK, I wouldn't move the powder room.

How big is the deck as planned? How much would it be to extend it?

Basically, you should find out what options the builder offers, and for how much.

Once you know that, and also what you want, you can try to figure out how much it would cost to have the features added by the builder or added afterwards by someone else. Anything that's out of the ordinary for the builder will cost you a lot more --- if they're willing to do it in the first place.

I'd say what pays off in resale and is nice to have is:
    hardwood floors
    skylight in master bath
    larger deck
    additional windows
    (I personally think a vaulted ceiling is great --- depends on how much it costs)

Other upgrades, such as nicer faucets or lamp fixtures may be cheaper if you change them out yourself afterwards.

Oh, and what I really, really, really would insist on is proper sound insulation to the neighbor. It's not that big a deal if done during construction.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wait, that deck is 80"x50"? That's barely the size of a large dining table. Definitely extend if at all possible.

How to figure out deck size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck size

• sbellotti84
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We'll have hardwood throughout already, and I'll look into the cost of additional windows.

The deck is 8 feet by 5 feet haha sorry for the confusion.

I'm still waiting on the builder upgrade costs, I should hopefully be getting them soon!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oops, guess I could have figured that out :)

Is the deck big enough for you? I'd play around with a table and chairs (grill?) in real life to see how much space you need.

Definitely find out about sound insulation and whether that could be added.

I remember when we had to deal with a builder that any change cost a lot. Credit for items we didn't want was miniscule but any upgrade out of the ordinary was expensive.