Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahrwh

How much flexibility is there with square footage, # baths, etc?

LeahRWH
10 years ago

No, I don't want to claim our house is bigger than it is! No funny business here. :D

The trouble is that it's technically around 3500 square feet with 5 bedrooms and 3.5 baths. However, only about 3000 square feet and 4br/2.5ba are in what I would consider to be the real house. The other 500 square feet and bed/bath are in what used to be the garage, which the previous owner shoddily converted into living space. The ex-garage is now a small storage room, a cavernous and oddly-shaped work area, and a 'bedroom' (ie, room with windows and closet) with a teensy full bath. The entire space is poorly finished and cold and just unpleasant. We haven't actually been in there since we bought it, since we don't need the space and have more pressing renovation issues.

So, my issue is that I don't want people to come in expecting to see a 3500 square foot house with 5 beds and 3.5 baths and be disappointed by our 3000 sqft house with 4 beds and 2.5 baths plus this crappy converted garage. Would it be kosher to list it as 3000sqft / 4br / 2.5 ba, and just add a note in the description saying that it also has a 500 square foot attached converted garage that could be turned into a workshop, MIL suite, etc.?

Comments (9)