Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappykat48

Do I Want to Live on Water???

Kati
9 years ago

Thank you all for the comments! :)

The berm isn't that tall (kind of hard to tell in the pic, sorry) and doesn't block the view of the water, but even if it did, I am more interested in using the water for paddle boarding, fishing, etc, than looking at it (there is a dock to put chairs on to look too though ;)

This is technically part of the WI River, but it is a huge open stretch of it and looks like a lake. The water has movement to it and is awesome. I've paddle boarded it many times.

As far as mosquitoes, I've never noticed it and my waterfront isn't woodsy, but I suppose there could be an issue?

The berm was done in the 70's and the house hasn't flooded yet, so I guess I'm not too concerned, but I will get flood insurance just in case ;)

Comments (17)

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Looks nice! I'd be tempted to put up a second floor deck to let you see over the berm.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can see over it good enough ;) I plan to landscape it tho.....low lying plantings so I don't obstruct the view I have.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and it's going to cost me a little over $1000 a year for flood insurance with a $5K deductible. That's for the total replacement cost of the property. It's not horrible I guess.....

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Yeah, but you aren't paying mortgage interest, right? That's way less then most people pay as monthly housing payments. I know folks who pay more then that in rent a month.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very true---we pay $809/mo. for rent right now. That is a good way to look at it. I just don't see how a flood could total a house??!! Do a lot of damage--YES, but need to replace the whole thing??!!!

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very true---we pay $809/mo. for rent right now. That is a good way to look at it. I just don't see how a flood could total a house??!! Do a lot of damage--YES, but need to replace the whole thing??!!!

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Don't forget to insure the contents of the house too with the flood insurance. Can get expensive to replace and have to start from scratch if you don't have that coverage.

Looks very nice.

Moving water can make the house collapse and float away.

This post was edited by lyfia on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 21:41

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

Moving waters carry debris, like trees, cars, other homes... that can plow over a house.
    That home is pretty close to the river... have you researched how often it gets flooded?

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it hasn't flooded in at least 40 years, not sure about before then??

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

A flooded lake probably wouldn't total a house if repairs are done promptly...

But the force of a river or hurricane propelled ocean waves can do a lot of damage. As can salt water or sewage from overflowing sewers...if your first floor has been strewing in sewage or salt water it might end up easier to demolish it and start over then decontaminate it. Then there are megalodons...Sorry...I'm a pessimist, your location seems lovely and you seem to have done your homework.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 9:29

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i'm a water lover too my first choice for housing would be a houseboat.....

if mosquitoes are a problem for you you might reconsider, i've lived on lakes and rivers and generally moving water hasn't caused problems
    on the other hand water with no current does present problems
    yes, fish cut down on mosquito larvae, but certainly not completely
    is there a prevailing breeze there? lots of shade or plant cover? those will cause mosquito problems
    if mosquitoes are in the area, they won't stop at your property line-i'd ask the neighbors if i could

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

scrappy - we're in northern IL and owned property on a small lake in WI for many years - it's one of my favorite states. I don't know where on the WI river this house is but flooding would probably not be one of my big worries. That yard and landscaping look absolutely gorgeous!!! Good call to thin out some of those plantings and open up the view a little - peeks at the water will be just lovely - what direction is that view? Possible sunset over water opportunity?

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dim, that was a pic of what i want to do to the berm that is pictured in the 1st post ;) The yard needs LOTS of work/landscaping (plus a deck or patio in front of the berm---nothing but grass there now), but there is already a view of the water across the berm so that's a plus.

Oh and the view is to the west so sunsets should be awesome!

Re: mosquitoes, my waterfront is open with no woods or shrubbery etc. and there is a current (it's still technically a river) so I am not thinking mosquitoes will be a huge problem---i could be wrong, i guess we will see

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Mosquitoes do not breed in running water so your concern if applicable would be standing water.

I really think your flood insurance sounds very reasonable price wise. Since you have traveled the river you know if it has any bad smells which rivers may have at certain points. If it doesn't that is certainly a plus. Nobody will build on the river so that is another plus privacy wise. I think it is a good choice if you love nature and love to view the river with all it's visitors.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I tend to skim when reading long threads - now I understand! Blank slate landscaping can be daunting but if you get a 3 - 5 year plan going and layer it in, it will come together. We used a large landscape firm in WI - are you familiar with McKay Nursery? We found them very nice to work with. We followed the general outline of their plan and did buy our first round of plantings from them - the bones - and did all the work to save $$. After that I made my own plant choices and bought local. You're going to have a great view - frame those sunsets!!

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Acadia, I thought it didn't sound too bad either.

Good idea Dim, I have heard of McKay but I don't think they are nearby :( I will try to find a different company like that---maybe Jung's....

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

They work all over scrappykat - I'm in northern Chicago burbs and they came to me.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design