Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Be Careful

krycek1984
13 years ago

I just wanted to remind all of you, especially any realtors on the board, to be careful. In the Cleveland area, we've had two realtors murdered during open houses in the last few months. It is really scary. And they weren't necessarily run down crack houses, either.

Just make sure you take common-sense precautions. I would hate to hear something happening to anyone on this board!

Comments (7)

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

"weren't necessarily"

???

• larke
    13 years ago

Oh, do you teach English? Even here?

• mariend
    13 years ago

The same thing has happened in Los Angeles, and some of the other large cities. If I was a Realtor, I don't know if I would do open houses by myself. Times are changing.

• Linda
    13 years ago

We have also had a string of robberies in my area during open houses too. Two people come in together, one distracts the realtor while the other robs the house. Most homeowners don't even realize anything is missing until weeks or months later.

Open houses may soon become a thing of the past.

• earthworm
    13 years ago

Open houses may become a thing of the past?
    "not necessarily"
    We do need reform/improvement.
    But, exactly what?
    To say "respect" is true, and so easy.
    So it is a matter of attitudes, and not spelling!
    But, one thing we must NOT do is give in to the criminal element. Also, we must know exactly what caused the murders.

• mariend
    13 years ago

What would be some ideas you could come up with to protect yourself and the furnishings?
    Could you use teens to be around the house? Could you use retired agents, or would they give out information they don't need to? Could you use people who are going to RE school?
    Personally I would use teens. I have had better luck with that age group. There are many service groups in the HS that could use a bit of money.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

Several years ago, a Realtor was killed in an open house in the Dallas area.

In a different incident, someone called an agent to look at his house to list it;
    the agent said something just didn't sit right, & she got a co-worker to go with her.

When they became alarmed at his behavior & got up to leave, he grabbed one of them & threw her down.

The other one hit him in the head with a heavy brass urn, grabbed her friend, & ran outside & called 911.

turned out the guy had been banned from his daughter's school for numerous episodes of "inappropriate" behavior with teachers & aides.

Open houses look like easy pickings for psychopaths like this & for thieves.

My advice:
    never do an open house alone, & carry your own pepper spray or Mace.
    The homeowner may not have a brass urn handy for you.