Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about foreclosure with pipes that froze.

Posted by frozenelves8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 23:43

We were going to build a home, but a foreclosure just came on the market that is a custom high end home for our area and it's a good price. I wouldn't call it a steal but certainly much more than we can get built and at least 100k cheaper than any similar nonforeclosed home. The bad thing is that someone didn't have the heat on this winter and the pipes froze. We know that the propane boiler needs to be replaced for sure. There isn't any evidence of water on the ceilings, walls or floor except in the mechanical room. We did find out that there is in-floor heat in the house in the basement but baseboard radiators on the main level. They won't let us turn on the water until repairs are made. We put in the offer but now we will have a plumber come out and see what he thinks. Is there any way to know how bad this is? Would the in floor heat be all ruined? The house is built in 2001. It's in pristine condition otherwise. Not a typical foreclosure for sure. Does anyone have any advice for me? It's a 3800sqft house split entry design which is popular here on 10 acres right in town. I don't have a clue what this could cost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about foreclosure with pipes that froze.

Maybe the plumber can pump the lines full of water and or use air pressure to determine where there might be leaks.

How cold does it get in your country? "Frozenelves" sounds like you could live in the tundra.

o

Duluth Mn. It was one of the coldest and snowiest winters ever recorded. There is a little kitchenette in the basement that has tile. The tile has a crack running through it and we thought maybe it's the tubing or pipes that froze and caused that. I'm not even sure if they would have used copper or pex in 2001. The rest of the floor is carpet.

o

I would suspect all the piping is ruined. And even if some of it is OK - connections could be weakened - both pex and soldered. You could have an unexpeced 'flood' in comming years.

I would pass on it myself.

o

The plumber said the best thing to do would be to seal off the in-floor heat and just put in baseboard radiators. He also said to expect a new boiler, boiler mate and well pump. He's going to price that out and we can try to re-negotiate with the bank if we want to. I'm not sure they'll come down though.

o

If this home will cost less than you would pay to build, I'd just bite the bullet and fix it. Your custom build will be smaller on a smaller lot, and it will take a really long time, a lot of headaches and cost more than you thought.

Is this foreclosure stretching your budget as it sits, or is there wiggle room for repairs.

10 acres in a high end neighborhood mid town sounds pretty amazing to me.

Good luck! I'm jealous!

o

I buy foreclosures all the time and many have burst frozen pipes. Not a big deal at all. Go for it.

o

Just get the plumber to do a pressure test after you buy it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here