Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frozenelves

Question about foreclosure with pipes that froze.

frozenelves
9 years ago

We were going to build a home, but a foreclosure just came on the market that is a custom high end home for our area and it's a good price. I wouldn't call it a steal but certainly much more than we can get built and at least 100k cheaper than any similar nonforeclosed home. The bad thing is that someone didn't have the heat on this winter and the pipes froze. We know that the propane boiler needs to be replaced for sure. There isn't any evidence of water on the ceilings, walls or floor except in the mechanical room. We did find out that there is in-floor heat in the house in the basement but baseboard radiators on the main level. They won't let us turn on the water until repairs are made. We put in the offer but now we will have a plumber come out and see what he thinks. Is there any way to know how bad this is? Would the in floor heat be all ruined? The house is built in 2001. It's in pristine condition otherwise. Not a typical foreclosure for sure. Does anyone have any advice for me? It's a 3800sqft house split entry design which is popular here on 10 acres right in town. I don't have a clue what this could cost.

Comments (8)