Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

what is the real estate market like in Kansas City

3katz4me
15 years ago

In the northland area in MO? There is a remote chance we might relocate. The thought of buying or selling a house right now is not pleasant. We have been in our current home and it's paid for so the worst case there is that we just don't get as much for it as we might at some other time. I've been looking at real estate online down there and it seems really inexpensive compared to where I am now. Just wondering how depressed the market is there compared to other areas. It might be a good buyers market but I wouldn't want to overpay since this may not be a long term situation - if it happens at all.

Comments (5)

• phoggie
    15 years ago

gibby~~~
    I think that depends on what part of KC you are wanting to buy....Kansas City, Mo?...KCK?...Overland Park, Olathe, Leawood, Mission, Lenexa,...or any part of Wyandotte county, or Johnson County in Kansas..... When you say "Kansas City", you are actually talking about several cities...and as most places, prices vary....but on a whole, I think they are probably like the rest of the country....down some on the market....location is the key.

• whenicit
    15 years ago

The midwest in general seems to have reacted slower but is still depressed. There has been less building going on, which is a good thing. The suburbs like Lees Summit, MO and others have exploded in recent years so I'm guessing it is somewhat overbuilt (I live in Iowa but travel there on occasion) as it looks like typical suburbia from I-80...

Good luck if you move

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

phoggie - I'm talking about the northland areas of KC - MO side, North KC, Parkville, Liberty, etc. - not the areas you mention. Anyone know if any part of this area is less depressed than others or any part that is generally in greater demand? Anyone know of a good online resource that gives overall comparative data on how depressed various real estate markets are? You hear how bad Phoenix, Vegas, Atlanta, LA are but where do other markets fall in comparison?

• earthworm
    13 years ago

Try Zillow.
    But this has its limitations, and it will be toilsome in gathering data.

• soooomanyboys
    13 years ago

Gibby ~

I am pretty sure that you have already answered this question for yourself, but in case you are still looking...I live in Kansas City (Lee's Summit to be exact) and have found that the real estate market is fabulous for buyers here! Prices never got crazy here when things were booming, so they didn't fall through the floor when the bust happened. Houses are still selling although maybe not as quickly as before. There are a decent number of "deals" out there that you can get a seriously great price on a house, and the Northland is a great place to do that. Lots of newer construction and nice neighborhoods!
    If you are still looking and need a great Realtor, I have a great one that I have used on more than one occasion and recommend her without hesitation when I know someone looking. She is a treasure for sure! Message me and I will give you her info! Good luck and welcome to KC!