Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Sold' signs

Posted by adellabedella (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 23:16

Does the direction a "sold" sign is attached to the real estate sign mean anything? My neighbor told me today that a sign at an angle means there is a condition on the sale. A sign that goes straight across means it is sold. I've never heard that before. My neighbor moved here from Canada so maybe it is that way there and not here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Sold' signs

Are you sure she wasn't joking?

o

No such thing here...

o

Not here in Canada either.

o

Contract Pending, Sale Pending or Under Contract would mean it has not yet closed.

SOLD should mean the sale already closed and the new owner's name is now on the deed.

o

"SOLD should mean the sale already closed and the new owner's name is now on the deed. "

And the sign should have been removed instead of a 'SOLD' banner added.

o

No. My neighbor wasn't joking.

We have a couple of sold signs in the neighborhood. They usually go on during the last couple of days before closing and stay up for about a week. Our realtor did that with our last house. I think (in his case) that it was promotional advertising to show that his homes sold.

o

>I think (in his case) that it was promotional advertising to show that his homes sold.

Yes, around here they will often come back long afterwards (like months) and put up a sold sign as advertising, even after the original for sale sign was taken down, if the property isn't occupied and the buyers don't object.

o

And if the sign is up side down it means that the offer will crash?

o

I've put "pending" riders on signs before closing, but I never say "sold" until the seller has his/her money.

o

That's the method I'd prefer. Stuffing the sold sign in before closing was pretty common here (back when houses were selling) There were a couple houses however that had the sold sign up/down and replaced by for sale/up/down. LOL. It always made me wonder what was wrong with them, even though it may have strictly been a credit issue with the buyer.

o

I cannot recall seeing a sold sign in the past 10 years.

'For sale' goes to 'under contract' and then the whole sign is removed.

o

I see 'em all the time.

It does help the agent, but it also lets people know that the house isn't available.

In this day & age, people often drive by a house forever "thinking" about making an offer; better that they can see that the house isn't available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here