Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purchasing a home with 45 year old appliances

Posted by Connie2u (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 22:28

The cook top is built in, the oven is on the wall built in, the furnaces pilot light could not be tested because they had the gas turned off. They turned off the water because the water heater was leaking so we were told by our relator, however the disclosure says they know of no plumbing problems which includes the water heater. They have not lived in this house in the last 12 months. Its two daughters selling their fathers house. When i went to the estate sale i looked at the house and the one daughter said the appliances are 45 years old. I said well do they work. She said They are 45 years old. As I was just looking and not looking to buy I guess she didnt have to tell me if they worked or not,. My atty says they all need to go they have outlived their lives. The carpet is all stained, the front sidewalk is heaved up from tree roots the garage door has a hole in it, the back garage is leaning and has termite damage although our home inspection said that the home had at sometime been terminte treated. How long does that last? Not forever I am sure. My atty said we needed a termite inspection and a radon test besides our home inspection, but when we put in a bid considering the replacement and fixing the large mechanics of the home, our realator told us that they had no response. I am wondering if they even gave them our bid? I guess we will never know. Their realator cited that the reason was we had to sell our home. Well I think ours is close to being sold. 10.2 acres with a 12 year old home and a big barn with 7 stalls a wash rack, foal camera etc. Since we got absolutely no response from our first bid, how do we initialize a 2nd bid? I have my home inspection papers. The jack and jill shower has a cracked base so its not usuable. Aren't these things major mechanical things that should be working when you buy a home? Any help would be appreciated. We are retiring from the horses and need to downsize is the only reason for selling our home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purchasing a home with 45 year old appliances

Is their property priced to be a tear-down?

o

No and the taxes are over 4K. Price is 137,900.00. Our real estate atty said he has heard about this property and it is in badly need of updates besides. He said he drives by it everyday to get to work. He is right but we weren't asking for updates like for the toilets that hang from the wall etc in one bathroom its avocado and the other is blue.

o

A seller can sell a house in any condition.
Most sellers will not accept an offer with the contingency that the buyer has to sell their home. And it sounds as though your home requires a very specific buyer.
With all this home's problems, why are you pursuing it?

o

When your home is under contract, then you can make another offer. However, this house only needs everything, so be careful what you wish for. You might get it. And then you'd still have to do that teardown and need another place to live for the year it takes to build the new house.

o

This sounds like a house I would walk away from. I'm all for DIY homes. But...as others have posted, this is a tear down. It would probably cost much more to rehab this house as they are asking for it. NancyLouise

o

If it's kids selling the house for the father and nobody has lived there the past year, this house is most likely being sold AS IS, even if it isn't specifically stated as such in the paperwork. Meaning the kids aren't interested in fixing anything.

Will you be able to get a mortgage for the property? Most conventional mortgages require you to occupy the house within 60 days. It doesn't sound like this place is in move in condition. And this isn't the type of work that can be accomplished in 60 days. Do you have the money for a cash purchase? And cash for the repairs?

As for the appliances - it won't be a simple matter of tearing them out and replacing. I almost guarantee that when you pull out the appliances, you'll find water damage, damaged sub floors and walls. There may be termite damage. Pipes wil bel old. Electrical will need updating. As soon as you start demo, now you will need to bring everything up to current building code.

So even if you don't envision this as a tear down, it sounds like it will be a 100% gut rehab.

Why are you interested in this home? In your original post you don't mention anything that you like about it. Only the negatives.

o

It is a very unique home, with 11 closets one a cedar closet, big rooms, every kitchen drawer is a pull out, 1876 sq foot, a fireplace that needs fixed or replaced, a 3 season room, and one attached garage. The first thing the inspector said this is a very unique home. The owner never filed for senior freeze, etc, so that is why the taxes are high. but if we got it cheaper we could get the taxes down and keep them down because we are on senior freeze etc. It is a good location, has a homey feeling, just needs work. If we sell this we can pay to have it all fixed if we get it cheap enough. The pics are below in the ad but they dont show the bathrooms, or the basement that the inspector says needs scrubbed. There is a foundation inside of a foundation which puts a crawl space on the outside of the new foundation. Like I said it has a solid base, but just needs all these updates. They rebuilt in 1969. Everything in that home was before its time when it was built but it of course never had anything done to it since. So how do you negotiate a house like this? We bid 80,000.00 with us doing the radon test, and termite test, basically as is so we can get the furnace etc we want.The realtor said they let our offer expire without an answer.That is why I think their realtor didnt give them the offer. The house is in IL and the one daughter lives in California, the other in Minnesota.Lets just say this place is not just a house it has character. We thought of bidding 85,000.00 with a radon test and termite inspection. this time, and they would have to pay for the radon system and the termite treatmite if needed. Or bid the same as our original bid with us doing everything. What do you think Are we crazy?

Here is a link that might be useful: house pics

o

Let me say that I cant have a house with the laundry in the basement because my knees wont do it in coming years. I had septic shock and ards and it took two or three years to get where I am but my knees are still bad. Everything else in Aledo, IL is two story or laundry in the basement or junk. We are downsizing because I can no longer work with our foals, so we sold all our horses and horse showing things. We are not using our barn and we dont want it just going to waste. This house is move in ready. Had a horse client go thru yesterday whom my relator says is a good opportunity for us both She is borarding her horses and wants her own place, so we could sell our home, and if the price is right pay cash for that house and have the appliances replaced. My son could do the oven and cook top the other things would have to be fixed by a professional.

o

As a seller, I would not be interested in taking my house off the market for a buyer who hasn't got a contract to sell their own house. Unless you're putting up cash? (Edited: I just saw your recent post. So you are putting up cash, but only after you sell your home. You don't have an offer yet, so you're just offering a contingency purchase.)

Your offer was for more than 40% less than their asking. I would be hesitant to accuse the realtor of not presenting your offer based only on guesswork.

This post was edited by hayden2 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 9:04

o

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing our first home so I don't have much in the way of giving advice.

However, that is a beautiful home. So sorry that it seems to have so many issues. I'm not sure if it works the same way in IL but I know in PA/NJ where we're from, realtors are required to submit any offers that come in for a house on the market. I'm assuming the sellers probably saw the offer and chose not to answer. Which really sucks if that's the case because I would think a counter offer would be better than nothing.

If you really love this home, I would keep trying. But it does seem like quite a bit of work. Good luck!

o

Someone came up with the asking price of $137,900 and I'm assuming the daughters were put off by what they perceived as a low ball offer. I'm betting that your offer was presented and didn't want to engage in negotiations because the two sides were so far apart. How long has it been on the market? Opinions may change as time passes and no full price offer is received.

o

Its only been on the market since the first part of june but has been no other lookers. Word gets around in smaller town about houses. it was top house it its day, but the new owner that bought this house was an old farmer and he didn't keep it up. The weeds are overgrown all around the house. The pics of the outside are not uptodate as far as that is concerned. Another question if we rebuilt the 2nd garage where it is and just repoured the cement and sorta gave it a face lift would we be okay doing that. If we tore it down we would have to move it because right now its to close to the neighbors fence line.

o

So your realtor said they didn't counter because they don't like contingencies?

It does seem odd they didn't even counter your offer. My husband and his ex have their home in escrow, but the path to escrow was long. They had 3 low ball offers, some with contingencies. They countered all the offers, and finally someone met the counter offer and the home is in escrow, with the contingency that it stays on the market until closed. Their buyer came up with a large deposit, and their home has some old appliances also.

Consider mold. Make sure you cover that issue. We bought a fixer, much bigger than yours, but termites and rot can cause a lot of damage. We replaced all the appliances here and almost redid this entire home. The cost was high. We knew what we faced, however, and this home was worth the price.

In another instance, we remodeled my late mother-in-law's home and put it on the market in top condition. We spent the money and made it beautiful. Took a lot of work!

Before it ever had an open house, a realtor brought a buyer who fell in love. She was a cash buyer. She made a full price offer, and we countered $10K higher. We really wanted to show it to the world, but she took the counter and she moved in 30 days later.

Since this house is not in tip top shape, most would-be buyers are also counting the costs, and offers will be low. Guessing the kids want a done deal fast so the estate can be settled.

Good luck to you on the sale of your current home! I would question the communication skills of your realtor. It's in your best interest that he/she keeps you in the loop.

o

The house inspector said that wnenever he inspects a house and it has mold his head throbs and did not in this house. He has been doing this for 40 years so what you see if basically what youo get..New appliances, carpet, shower, a redo on the bathroom and garage if we can per code and zoning. But first we have to get the house which has not happened yet. Just trying to get some answers and help before hand. Trying to figure out how to bid and how to ask for things to be fixed, or if not accept our price and we will fix it. I don't know that the girls ever lived in this house, so they probably don't have a clue about anything. Thanks all anymore infor will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

o

I don't understand. They allowed you to do a home inspection before submitting a bid? But then didn't counter because of contingencies and a low offer? Can your realtor get more information from the other realtor?

o

I suspect the sellers' agent presented your offer and they rejected it without a counter because it was lowball and you had a contingency. You say your home is "close to selling" but until you have an offer in hand that you are willing to accept, you can't really say that. And you have a unique property in a small town, and those typically take longer to sell.

I would wait until you're under contract on your own house. Then make your offer again: $80K with no home sale contingency. And have your agent provide some backup to your price: comps, a list of the repairs needed and their cost, etc. showing that the comps say "worth $110K when fixed up" but there's $30K of work to do = $80K (or whatever the math is).

o

I don't understand. They allowed you to do a home inspection before submitting a bid?

The whole time I was reading this thread I was thinking the same thing.

How did you come up with your $80,000 offer? Did your realtor think it was low?

o

I think you offered too low and with a contingency to boot. The house needs updating but from the pics it is not a tear down. If 80k is all you will offer than I think it is best to consider other properties and forget this one.I live in one of the most affordable places in the country and 80K buys you a small starter home in a moderate crime rate suburb without AC or a garage.

o

How did you come up with a price of $80k? That's more than a 40% discount from the asking price. That's almost $60k worth of work. I looked at the pictures and the house looks nice. It seems almost move in condition.

I question whether the appliances are all 45 years old. And if they have all outlived their useful life. I think I have that same kitchen aide dishwasher in my kitchen. It's a work horse. I hope it never dies since I won't ever find a new one that cleans as well. The washer and refrigerator are definitely newer.

With one daughter in Minnesota and the other in California, it is physically impossible for them to do any work on the house.

I'm leery of an inspector who checks for mold based on his head throbbing.

o

80 k come from getting all the estimates for the major appliances. The refrigerator is usable but small, the dishwasher is new. Not sure why they chose to put in a new dishwasher and nothing else, seeings how they told me they were 45 years old..The daughters did. So I know that is right. House was built in 1969 by a doctors nurse daughter, then she sold it to this farmer years ago, and he didn't keep it up. We will need to fix or build a new garage as the old one has termite damage per our house inspection because I don't think we can rebuild where it is. Unless we can repair it..This garage is on the back of the property and is falling down. .The older gentleman who lived there never filed for senior freeze or senior taxes, or even homestead so the taxes are super high. If you get it for less money the taxes should go down to a reasonable amount. It has possibilities but the major stuff needs done, like shower stove oven furnace and air conditioner. plus labor. The crack in the sidewalk by the front steps needs repaired for safety concerns and the tree roots taken out that are causing the rise in the cement. Their are huge cracks in the driveway too and they put black stuff all over it and it looks awful, but we aren't asking for that to be repaired. Yes they allowed us to get a home inspection before a bid was put in. I didn't know that was something most couldn't do. But our atty suggested it and he also suggested the 80k. He only does real estate closings etc, and is very up on his knowings of the houses in the area. He said he drives by that house everyday on his way to work, and has heard alot about how it has not been kept up. Its a ton of work most we can do like the yard, painting, stuff to just fix it up,, but hey we feel we at least need a decent furnace stove and cooktop plus air conditioning. And the water heater replaced since it leaks. I really don't have an actual price for all that needs done but without labor you cant know for sure. They paid to have the carpets cleaned but they don't show in the pics but they are not in very good condition even after they had them professionally cleaned. Besides they look very old and outdated. My husband wants a working shower. Can't blame him for that. As you get older and retire you take less baths and more showers. I hope i answered everyones questions Thanks for the advice i was sure needing some.

o

Looking at your link and the comparable houses that are on the market, the asking price of 137K actually seems quite high to me. Why is that? (see link below to larger property for lower price).

It's definitely a cute house.

Did the inspector come up with any major structural problems or big ticket items that are not immediately obvious, such as plumbing, electrical, insulation, roof, windows?

My other question is whether you had any other contingencies in your offer. However, I still would try to have your realtor get some more information from the listing agent to find out where the sellers come from.

Here is a link that might be useful: larger property

o

Two commented: "They allowed you to do a home inspection before submitting a bid?"

That's what we did before purchasing our older home. It allowed us to get right to the point when submitting our bid. My thinking was I'd prefer to know up front what was needed instead of making an offer and then negotiating repair costs back and forth and all that hassle. I'd only be out $400 if I decided to pass on making a bid.

o

Your right nosoccermom, however I can't do stairs anymore. I like that house too and looks really big and cozy. It it wasn't for the stairs it would be a go for sure. The inspection came up with termite damage in the back garage that needs torn down. Couldn't check the gas because they had it shut off. He just said the major appliances look to be 40 years old so he was pretty much on the mark. He found two windows rotted on the outside because there was no storms windows on it. We were told the water heater leaked and that was the reason the water was turned off. And we need the GCIF outlets needed to be put in the bathroom and kitchen. Some leaks under the sink in the laundry room, a disconected Sewer Vent Pipe in the attic, The anchor for the electrical is coming loose from house. Just some of the things besides what I mentioned above that needs fixed. Adding that all up is difficult and the labor is unknown. No other contingiencies. We were taking it as is. But like I said they never even replied yes no counter.. We still need a radon check and termite check and need to see if we can rebuild the garage where it is instead of having to build another one further from the back property line? Does anyone know the rules on rebuilding a garage? Its to close to the back property to tear down and rebuild. Another expense though either way.

o

Whether you can rebuild the garage where it is depends on your local permit laws. You'd have to check with the county or town permits office.

Was your inspector able to check the electrical system and the plumbing as much as possible? Are they selling the place as is, or do they say that all systems are working? You should be able to turn on the (cold) water, even if the water heater is leaking, or have they had it disconnected by the water company?

What does your realtor say? Did s/he receive any feedback?

Is there a reason that would justify this relatively high price (for example, better location or school district)?

o

They are saying it has an attached garage and an unattached garage. (The one that is falling down). No pictures of it though. They are selling it as is but it doesn't say as is. They aren't saying whether the stove oven furnace etc even work.. Only the age they are. My atty told me they had to go, they are electric and one bad wire could cause a fire. Not sure where the water is turned off at. Could be either place. That is a very good question. They aren't saying anything is working, but the aren't saying it isn't either. Odd eh? My realator says okay we will put the bid in based on all these things found during the inspection..I made out a list of the major stuff and an approximate estimate minus labor. Only feedback was they decided NOT to counter offer or even respond. One reason was because we have to sell our house, ( so I was told) but our house is not in Aledo, It is closer to the Quad Cities perfect location and a sought after type of set up. Have had alot of lookers and starting to get more showings. Everyone likes everything, but so far no bids. Sundays people want to add bedrooms to the basement and are checking on egress windows. Most say this is just what they are looking for. So I hope to have this sold soon, so we can persue the other place. The location is okay School district? eh? its okay but nothing outstanding. I am the pres of the american legion auxiliary and spend alot of time in Aledo which is 13 miles away. So we decided to move there since I am there so much plus our friends are there. Also we don't want the barn to get to delapalated from non use. So we are downsizing and retiring. Thanks nosoccermom, I loved your outlook questions and thoughts.

o

It sounds like a money pit, and a time sucker. It's been badly maintained in a severe climate, empty for a year.

there must be something in that area that is not that neglected.

o

If there is i haven't found it. Yes could be a money pit but could be a very nice home. It hasn't been empty for a year these two girls father lived there till he passed in I think May. But he has lived there alone for many years. So its almost like it was empty. Nothing done to maintain it. Must have been a reason why he did nothing. However the next person should not have to pay for their not caring or updating, etc this home. Still looking for another house with everything on the first floor. There is a really nice house there though the first one we looked at and its gorgeous but the laundry is in the basement. With my knees I might not be able to carry clothes up and down the stairs. I do love the laundry room though. Its super big. That is the only down fall but we must look ahead. If all is lost we might have to purchase it and maybe extend the stairs a bit to make them easier. Not sure till we get this place sold. Its about the same price and is move in ready..

o

They aren't saying whether the stove oven furnace etc even work.. Only the age they are.

That's probably because it is being sold by the children and they haven't lived there recently. I don't think they can be expected to say whether it all works perfectly or not.

My atty told me they had to go, they are electric and one bad wire could cause a fire.

How is he qualified to make this statement? Just because something is old doesn't mean it has to go.

I'm not understanding why you are saying things like the furnace and air conditioner need to be replaced when the inspector did not test them. Do the other houses in that area listed for that price have new furnaces and air conditioners? Do you think this house is equivalent to the ones that are listed for $80K? This one appears to have a larger than normal lot. Also, you might have to pay more to get a main floor laundry.

o

Suppose the sellers replaced all the kitchen appliances with the absolute cheapest models available? OK, then you have brand new appliances, and will you be happy?

Sounds like you are trying to buy the house of your dreams, not the house that exists.

o

The other houses don't have any major appliances that are this old. None. The outside ac looks like a dinasour as does the furnace in the basement. How efficient can that be? The water heater leaks and we do need a hot water heater. The other houses have water heaters and working furnaces. Why do you suppose they have the gas turned off? Safety maybe? The fireplace leaks gas they said so they shut it off also. It also needs a radon test and termite test as it has been treated for termites in the past and the back garage that is falling down has termite damage. Still we were trying to get the bidding started as is and we do all the tests treatments if needed and If they gave us an appliance allowance we could pay the difference for a better appliance if we chose to. Any new furnace would be better than what is there. Our atty has all the ins and outs of most of the properties in this town, has lived there his whole live, and everyone tells him about the real estate that is selling etc. He is usually the atty for either the seller or buyer We are just going by what his thoughts are as he pretty much knows the worth and work needed on this older unmaintained property.The taxes are super high too as I said above because this last owner never filed for any homestead, or Senior Freeze. That I think is scaring away younger buyers. We are willing to do the work to bring it back but hey if they are not interested in that we will just keep looking. Its not the end of the world if we don't get it. I just thought someone here has some other ideas on how to bid again to get their attention without putting us in the pits with labor costs. I am not trying to buy the house of my dreams. I have that now. We built it just the way we wanted in 2002. I just want one that is doable and livable and has everything on the main floor. This house has the laundry on the main floor. I am not trying to take anyone, nor do I want them to take me.I had a serious illness that now leaves me unable to do the things I did with our paint horses breeding and raising foals. That was something we did not expect, nor could control. So we decided to sell the horses get a smaller place with no stairs, and retire. This is not the home of anyones dreams as it sits today. I mean really. Don't you expect the major mechanical appliances to be in GOOD working order. And when you have an inspector coming make sure they can inspect everything?? So why didn't their realator turn the gas on as they knew when he was coming. Check the link below for a different house that is about the same price but the laundry is in the basement which healthwise for my knees won't work for very long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another house for the same price

o

An as is sale is AS IS. You don't get move in condition. Your expectations and reality are pretty far apart on this. And premature. You can't even really make a legit offer until your house sells, and you're already dreaming of redoing things. Cart before the horse.

Unless you have the cash reserves to make an offer now, just concentrate on getting your current home sold. That will likely be difficult enough. Specialty properties in rural areas can sit a long time before you get an offer.

Post the MLS link to your current home if you'd like suggestions to maximize it's appeal. That is what needs to happen here to move you forward. That house has to sell. So, let's see what can be done towards that goal.

o

Wait until your house is under contract. Then try another offer. You keep saying your house is super desirable and close to being sold. But until it's under contract, it remains super desirable and close to being sold.

I'm guessing the sellers don't intend to turn on gas and water until the house is under contract. That's a hassle and an expense for them, and they don't want to do it unless they know they have a serious buyer.

o

I understand what you are all saying but after this place sells I have to have a plan..Will only have 30 days,. Don't you think I should be planning ahead?? at least a little? Sorry hubby is in ICU been up most of the night. He has chest pain but has 14 stents already since his open heart surgery in 95. So let me get back to you. Don't want anyone upset with me. I will try to do better and wait for this place to be sold. After that I don't know what I will do. Thanks

o

Connie, all the best to you and your husband.

o

Sorry about your husband Connie and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

o

Thanks he is looking at open heart surgery the first of the week. Will be his second one. 2-100% blockages and 1-95% blockage. Hardly has any arteries open. We have to wait till his plavex (sp) is out of his system before they will do the surgery so in ICU he will stay. What an emotional day. Wow! I guess everything IS certainly on hold now, but my broker called and has another showing on Saturday. We shall see what we shall see. The doc thinks his chances are pretty good but all surgeries contain risks. I will let you know how it goes after he has this surgery. Thanks everyone. I know where to go to get good honest input.

o

Keep in mind that the closing date on the sale of your house is one of the negotiable terms. It does not *have* to occur 30 days from the signing of the contract. You can state you need 60 days or you can negotiate a 'lease-back' or whatever. Just so you know you aren't necessarily under a 30 day deadline.

o

Thank You sienna. I didn;'t know that. That is very good to know under my circumstances that we are in now.

o

Connie, just get through this situation with your husband. I would put everything on hold. Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Get your husband better and let your house wait, along with looking for another. Take one day at a time.

I believe there is a rhyme and reason to everything in life. It will all work out.

Please post back,

Jane

o

Surgery is over and hubby is doing well. He is home now but very weak. Our sons are taking care of the lawn work. Still waiting on the people that are waiting on their CD to mature sometime in the next two weeks. The house we want the price just dropped $10,000.00. Can't do much till this place sells anyway. I just wish one of the lookers would follow thru.Here is our house. Someone wanted to see to help sell it. The basement pics are awful. I straightened it out alot putting all the extra stuff in one corner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house for sale

o

I'm so glad to hear that your husband's surgery went well and hope he will recover quickly!

With respect to the listing, I wouldn't mention that the door bell needs replacing. Also, who would be most interested in this property? It sounds like the land and barn, etc. are the main draw. Is that correct? Still, I'd say something about the roof, appliances if they are relatively new. Updated kitchen, etc. Are the hunter fans a big selling feature?

For pictures, I'd have one from closer up of the house that's not so much up hill. And also of the deck with view.

Everything looks very neat and well taken care of, but a little bit of "staging" couldn't hurt. I'd probably post pictures for each room in the home decorating forum and ask for advice. People are usually very helpful, but tell them you're not planning on a total overhaul.

Overall, I'd probably remove even more stuff.

Office: I'd get rid of the swag and pull the curtains as much as possible to the sides. Get rid of that little table. Also, that dresser (?) to the right. Remove the computer from the desk and put underneath it. Perhaps also remove the desk return.

Bedroom: Remove that TV from the dresser and pull the curtains open. Put a green pillow on the bed.

Kitchen. Looks really nice and tidy. A table space kitchen is great, but it looks like your dining area is very close by, so I'd remove that table.

Dining. Do you need the water cooler? I'd remove that laundry basket in the corner. If you remove the kitchen table, you could perhaps pull the dining table more off the wall.

Living room. I'd get rid of the tread mill. And put one of the chairs where the tread mill is now. That's the room I would post on the home decorating forum. Remove the little runners (for the pictures).

Bathrooms. Close the toilet lid. Declutter for picture and when showing.

Wishing you a quick sale!

o

The computer room looks better already. Thanks for the tips. They are very good. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. I told the realator to take out any reference to the door bell So far he hasn't. I can take a few more pictures and ask him to repost them instead. I will go thru and do more decluttering this week while hubby is awake and watching tv. If he is resting I have to be quiet as he needs his rest. Hasn't been a week since he had his surgery. 2nd one for him so he won't recover as quickly. I appreciate the advice more than you know

o

The listing talks all about the barn and the farm and barely mentions the house. But there are only 3 pictures of the barn. If your target buyer is someone who wants to buy a horse property, you should get more pictures of the barn

o

This does sound more like an equestrian type property, does your realtor specialize in that? I'm asking because an acquaintance of mine does sell equestrian type properties in another state, and only occasionally ventures into more residential neighborhoods.

I'm feeling a little anxiety for you trying to stage and sell a house around your husbands recovery...must you do this right now. If you must, and can accomplish it without too much disruption to his healing, then of course I wish you all the luck...But having sold a house after updating it, buying and moving within the last several months I know how stressful it can be so I'm worrying a bit for you both.

o

I think you have to help your realtor with the description.

What are the five best things about your property? It's move-in ready. (why? meticulously maintained, whatever, energy efficient appliances, etc.)
Great for horses, sheep?
There's talk about deer and a creek and woods, and you have a picture, but where is that in relation to the house? Maybe a view towards the creek/woods?

Privacy? Views?

Why is it better than the competition? For example, this one
1705 8th Ave Avenue Viola, IL, and this one: 807 283rd Street Viola, IL

o

Our property is alot closer to the cities than Viola homes are. Thats a plus but not necessarily a deal maker. We have crops planted on our acreage, that increases the value in farmland for our area, plus the barn is set up for horses and the house is pretty new. Been working hard at getting it fixed up decluttered and new photos taken. I need to write a new description as well. Any ideas on that. The pictures will make a difference too thanks to the tips I received yesterday. It may not be nicer than the other two but it has lots more potential things to happen here, like horses, cattle, breeding and checking to see if they are in foal etc. 2 outside hyrants for water, a wash rack to give the horses a bath. Just right now its full of stuff my kids took out of the garage and stored in that area. That was before we decided to sell, and now with hubby down for 8 weeks I have to do most all the packing fixing up etc. My son is going to come and help me get the treadmill out of the living room and to the garage, then I am going to take the little extra table in the kitchen and put by the front window. Should look good there, then pull our kitchen table out from the wall. Wondering if I should open it with the extra leaf? Will see how the photos look after I can get the little table moved out. Thanks will be back soon with more info and pictures. You guys are so down to earth and so helpful. Its a difficult time right now but still we most press on. With your help hopefully we will get a buyer.

o

I wrote this ad. Have pictures all but the kitchen and living room as I don't have the treadmill out yet. Should be within the next day. Anyway, here is the ad I wrote. Located 13 miles from MIlan. 10.2 acres with newer home. Horse Barn has 2 hydrants, about 8 acres to grow hay or other crops. 7 stalls, washrack plus AI Stall. Home has newer Refrigerator, Dishwasher, and Water Softener. New Paint in 2012. New roof in 2012. Move in ready. Wooded area towards back of property w/creek and deer sightings.

o

I think your description is so much better. Is it clear, or should you say something, "...with newer home and several outbuildings. Great potential for horse farm (or whatever?). Barn....

Or how about, well-cared for property, blabla.

How old are the water heater, furnace? They look pretty new to me.

Also, it looks to me like the kitchen backsplash is relatively new. Could you say, updated kitchen (when)?

Your bedrooms look great. I'd take a picture of the office without the two dressers.

I'm so impressed that you are able to do all this with what else is going on. Best wishes!

o

Thanks yest and all the new photos are up. See what you all think. Yes its been difficult but we must press on. I am a go getter and as my husband says just point her in the right direction and get out of her way. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: New Pics of home for sale

o

Haha, I can tell :)

The pictures look so much nicer. I still would move the two chairs in the living room, perhaps facing the sofa, or one in the corner, one facing the sofa --- at least for the photo.

o

Thanks you have been so helpful. I could see what you were saying after you brought it to my attention. Duh! in my office is two filing cabinets not dressers, so I can't move them. I don't have a place on my floor for my computer, so I moved it back and shortened the other side of the desk with the printer on it and decluttered that at least. I can't make new pic for the web as my realtor would kill me. I will move those chairs for the next showing. Hopefully will be one soon. The gal from Iowa that has horses is waiting till the 15th when her cd matures to make a bid. But I understand she is still interested but then you know how that goes. So I though new pictures was indeed necessary.. Thanks again. I will keep ya posted on both houses.

o

Keeping my fingers crossed. Also best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery.

o

If there's any way to do it, I would remove the free-standing bookcase-like shelf unit in the master closet;
you can box up anything that's out of season & store it in garage or barn.

ditto the quilt rack in the guest room.

My experience in marketing equestrian property is that horse owners want to know about the land, barn, round pens, wash racks, etc.

Put in some photos of the house & tell them how many bedrooms, etc, but sell them the barn & land:

The house is where they go when it's too dark to stay outside!

o

Thanks for the tip I will do that tomorrow as far as the book cases are concerned and the quilt rack as well.. Great Idea. I will have this place so uncluttered I won't be able to find anything I need soon!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here