Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willpower654

Friendly gesture for new neighbours

willpower654
10 years ago

Just wondering what a nice friendly thing to do for new neighbours as we are moving in would be? We have two neighbours on either side of us who are both elderly couples... any suggestions on how to start off on a good friendly foot?

Comments (9)

• C Marlin
    10 years ago

I think it is wonderful to be friendly, but it may be awkward for them since you are the new one. I'd wait a little bit.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I think going over and introducing yourself is the nicest thing you can do for elderly neighbors. Tell them how you are looking forward to living there, getting to know the neighbors and neighborhood, then give them a notecard with your name (a huge favor for someone who has trouble with names) and your phone number in case they might want to reach you for anything. As you get settled in and hopefully become more familiar with them, letting them know they can call you for an emergency or things of concern will be a wonderful thing.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

In my neighborhood, it's the new neighbors who are greeted with a homebaked cake. I'd just go and introduce myself, ideally when you see them outside.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 13:35

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

By all means introduce yourself, let them know you are friendly and interested in knowing them. Later when you know a bit more about their routine, maybe you could have them come in for tea, coffee - if you are making any changes to the house, you might ask if they'd like to see what you've done (paint, carpet etc). If you really do mean elderly and not just older than yourself, sometimes disruptions to a typical schedule can be unsettling so you may have to take it a bit slowly.

We were blessed to have neighbors ages of our parents for many, many years at our former home, really wonderful people who brought much joy to our lives. I wish you the same with yours.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

We had the luck of finding our dream house in the world's nicest neighborhood - various neighbors offered to have us over for dinner while we were moving in and not yet able to cook; they took in packages for security when we weren't home; and when we got settled they had a neighborhood potluck to introduce us to everyone on the street.

This is probably just how nice this particular set of folks are to anyone, but what we did that might have encouraged the friendliness was to introduce ourselves whenever we saw anyone out in the street. In particular, we made a point of speaking to the immediate neighbors on each side of our house whenever something potentially disruptive was going to happen, like the moving van arriving, or loud work being done, or expecting tradespeople who might possibly park in the wrong driveway. This let them know that we are aware that this is a shared public space and we have no intention of running roughshod over their established privacy. They invariably waved us off, saying it was all more than fine and we never needed to ask (which is what any good neighbor says) -- but I think the gesture meant something, if only symbolically.

• jannie
    10 years ago

Back in the day, there was a company called "Welcome Wagon" which collected samples, coupons, etc from local businesses and delivered them to new homeowners. When we moved into our home in 1981, the 60-ish widow next door brought over a large bottle of wine. She's remained a friend ever since. She used to invite our kids over for home-made cookies, now she invites the toddlers from across the courtyard. She's like a Grandma to the neighborhood. Would you believe, at 90 she still drives, goes to church daily, has older women friends come over all the time?

• wagnerpe
    10 years ago

I think it would be nice to introduce yourself to the neighbors -especially if your lifestyle doesn't tend to have you outside a lot where casual small talk conversations would most likely occur.

When new neighbors move in, I try to make a point to introduce myself. But the timing can be tricky - too soon and you just become one more overwhelming thing associated with the move; too late and I feel a little embarrassed knocking on the door.

I love when people move in who are gardeners or general "outside" people, then you can introduce yourself and briefly chat more naturally when you are walking the dog or otherwise outside.