Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derri_gw

Underwriters

Derri
10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone had some insight on underwriters ? We put in a app for a $245,000 home in CA. Our CSs are 560/540 we are both on disability, and our totally mthly income Is $7000( although met life is a huge chunk of the $7000, and we will only be getting that for 15 more yrs) we have a new car loan, (through capital one) we filed bankruptcy in 2010, foreclosed on a home in 2007 and have been renting ever since. We owe for 2009 taxes$7000( we filed for a audit reconsideration.) And my husband has $10,000 in medical bills on his CR.
we are trying to do a VA , FHA or the other mortgage for rural area home buyers. What do you think our chances may be ? What will the underwriter be looking for? Thank you for your time.

Thank you ( some may say why are you trying to buy a home, with your credit still recovering? We say paying $1850 rent mthly for the last 6 yrs is getting old.

Comments (6)

• storyofmylife
    10 years ago

Based on your credit history, I would say that your chances are slim to none.

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

Sorry, I have to agree, you have a snowball's chance in hell.

I assume since you have $17000 debt (plus the car loan) than you don't have cash for the down payment or closing costs.

Why did you buy a new car when you already are in debt? Can you sell it, and buy something used?

You need to get that debt paid off and save up for the down payment.

You say you are going to lose a big chuck of your income. You need to take action now to get your finances in order before that happens. If I were you I would do the first 3 steps of Dave Ramsey's plan then save as much as I can and buy the cheapest house I can find that's suits us.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I think you'll be renting for a while yet. There are too many bills you haven't paid, and you don't have enough savings to get a conventional loan. Too many red flags if I were the underwriter.

Your to-do list:
    -Clean up the tax debt
    -Clean up the medical bills
    -Sell the new car and buy something less expensive
    -Find more work to supplement your income and replace the disability down the road
    -After the debt is paid off, save like crazy for a decent down payment

If you buckle down and pay off debt instead of (what appears from your info above) serially walking away from it (foreclosure, bankruptcy, letting medical bills slide, fighting tax audit), that will go a long way towards showing a bank you really will do whatever it takes to pay a mortgage.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but look at it from the bank's perspective. Would you lend to you?

Also, keep in mind the fallacy of "a mortgage would be cheaper than rent." You've got one foreclosure on your record, so you know what it's like to get in over your head. Why are you in a rush to do that again?

• Linda
    10 years ago

Any bank I've ever dealt with (for my buyers), wont even touch an application unless the credit scores are AT LEAST 640. They can't sell these loans.

The bankruptcy is only 3 years ago, that may not be long enough (I've seen people get thru with a 4 year old bankruptcy, but nothing sooner than that) but they have repaired their credit.

And a foreclosure that is only 6 years ago ...... back taxes, low down payment and you haven't fixed your credit score yet. I dont think you have a shot right now.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I agree with the above. And, while I can see your point about $1850 rent per month being too high to pay, your next job is not to buy, but to find a lower cost of living (or at least, rent) location.

• new-beginning
    10 years ago

can you just move to a location with lower rents? then you could clean up your financial situation.