Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet & Duct Cleaning

Posted by dreambuilder (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 18:52

We are buying a house that had a cat & dog in it--husband very allergic to cats. Questions:

1. Carpet cleaning--should i do hot water extraction only or does it need to have cleaning agents (we also have small children)? I will make sure it is a truck mounted operation. Any other questions I should ask? Some have mentioned they won't be able to get the dander out of the pad?

2. Duct cleaning--i'm going to ask if they clean both the supply and return air trunks, as well as the return pans, other mechanical elements such as the coil? Ask if they use a brush or a whip and if there is risk of damage to the duct board?

Any other questions I should ask before picking a vendor to do these things?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet & Duct Cleaning

I would want a cleaning agent in the carpet cleaning solution. If you have ceramic tile or stone floors, you can get deep cleaning done on them by some carpet companies too.

Change the AC/furnace filters monthly.

Air out the house well too. Turn on the furnace fan and open the windows and doors to get the air circulating outside.

o

Just replace the carpet and pad.

o

Yes, replace the carpet and pad. You'll never get all the cat out of it.

o

The dirt particles in the ducts have a sticky residue (cooking oils, etc) that stay stuck to the inside surface of the duct.

Leave them alone - they are not going anywhere. Cleaning the ducts will dislodge these particles and make more of a mess.

Just change the furnance filters and get the A/C coil (in the furnance plenum) cleaned. These coils collect the dander.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here