Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
who2ted

Flyers

who2ted
9 years ago

What are the opinions on RE flyers in a box in front of your property? My agent thinks it gives too much info and people never call to see the property. Serious buyers will call the agent on the sign.

Comments (15)

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

IMO, it does not help a sale nor hinder it. Given that, I would rather have a potential buyer call my cell phone so I can actively try to sell the property.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I'd rather have flyers screen out people for whom the house wouldn't be appropriate than have someone skip seeing the house because they're not sure if it's appropriate.

I personally find it irritating to have to hunt to find basics like price and square footage. I don't particularly care to have to make a phone call to find out that kind of info.

NC: how often do you actually have people call you from a yard sign?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I think if there is the QR digitization that is all that is needed. Someone can scan that and it takes you right to your listing. Everything should be easily found on the online listing.

• mareda
    9 years ago

I did a flyer as a hand out for showings so people would remember the house. It has information and photos on it. I've got my web address on my sign, so the nosy noodles can go there and find out all they want to find out.

One of the reasons I didn't put flyers outside is because I'm on a corner and a home that did that up the street had to put out 15 flyers every day. Every time someone walked by, they would take at least one, and none of the calls were a result of those flyers. They took them 'just to see', apparently.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It's great for the neighbors who walk by ... But seriously, it may depend on the neighborhood and target buyers. For me, the Internet listing is more convenient at accessible than a paper flyer.
    Also, depends on how many people actually walk or drive slowly by your house.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

If a potential buyer likes the neighborhood, likes the curb appeal, and they think it matches other of their criteria, they are going to not forget about the home no matter if they have a flyer or not. They will call the # on the sign or go look up the address on the internet.
    When I do use flyers, it is because I have a QR code and a text # that will take them to the property's dedicated website.
    I watch what buyers do and say. If we pass a home not on our tour for that day, and it looks interesting from the curb, even if it has a flyer or not, they ask me to look it up on the internet for them. I have never had a real buyer exclaim, "Well, it looks like the home meets our criteria, but there are no flyers, so let's forget it".
    Not once. For me, that answers the question of the OP.

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

Things are changing so fast with the advent of internet listings that are accessible to everyone but, at this point in time, I would still put out flyers. I would make sure it has my internet address for my listing posted on it as well, of course. I don't care if it's nosy neighbors taking my flyers--we've had people come to our Open Houses because a friend or relative picked up a flyer for them, thinking it may be a home they might want to see. Sometimes when you are looking at homes and they start to blur together, having hard copies to look at (that have good pictures and all the facts easily accessible) is very handy for people.

I can't stand when Realtors don't have any info on a home and I have to call. Ridiculous waste of time for me as well as them, in the vast majority of cases. And I don't want their sales pitch for other homes they have or to try to get us to hire them. No amount of clever salesmanship will sell a home. The whole idea behind all home marketing is to get them inside your home and to weed out the ones that you would otherwise be wasting your time on.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I like the flyers. Love my computer, but it is easier to compare houses and you can write notes on flyers instead of having a number of tabs open on the computer.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

-->I think if there is the QR digitization that is all that is needed Not for me it isn't--my phone doesn't munzee/QR. I am sure there are other buyers that also do not have the app.

Yet I still have a folder with the flyers from homes from when we were shopping four years ago--not only with notes about the houses, but about the agents, too. If we ever sell, I want to remember which agents are off the list automatically, or to be considered more favorably, and why.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

A flyer on the Inside of the home is one thing (for notes, etc), but Outside, seems an excess.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

I would like to hear from the other agents here as to their take... do you use flyers inside and/or out?

• rrah
    9 years ago

NC--no longer an agent. When I was, I never used flyers outside the house as I used a few other tools that allowed drive-bys to call a number and get info and later a QR code technology. Sellers often complain about agents doing nothing to "sell" the house. Technology, without flyers, exists so that an agent can do more to sell a house when they receive phone calls.

When we sold our own first house we learned very quickly that it was the neighbors that took the flyers. They were "essential" then because cell phones were uncommon. There are very few instances when I would use an exterior flyer. If I did it would be because it was in a remote area without cell service or a rural area without addresses or clear street names.

Of course, I used a nice brochure or simple flyer inside the house.

I'm wondering how many people here that claim flyers are a must have actually purchased a home after they picked up a flyer on it? My guess is the %age is very, very small. Kind of like open houses.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I'm wondering how many people here that claim flyers are a must have actually purchased a home after they picked up a flyer on it?

I'm not claiming they are a must, but as I said, I do prefer them when driving by a house and so does my SIL (we were helping her look at houses last month). We bought our land after we picked up a flyer on the development. We bought our land in 2002 and I still have the flyer!

• jimandanne_mi
    9 years ago

Like dekeoboe, we bought our lot after picking up a flyer.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

jimandanne,
    Would you not have seen the lot online sooner or later?
    How long ago was this purchase?