Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Real Estate Photography...Help!

Posted by hunterosx (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 18:02

Hello, Given the great economy, I'm about to lose my job of 20 years. It's very specialized and there is almost no chance I'll recover financially. I am a photographer on the side & I'm interested in Real Estate Photography for Agents to put on their websites or MLS or fliers for advertising. You guys know what I am talking about... I've seen some work in the past and always thought I could do a better and more professional job. So, My question is: Do you guys/gals use this kind of service and how much do you pay for it? Generally, what is included in the price? I appreciate your input... because it could be my next career! Thanks a million! Hunter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Real Estate Photography...Help!

What state do you live in?

I don't know prices, sorry.
1-I'm sure the MLS (Multiple Listing Service)has photo services & they would welcome more of them. Contact them. Find out from a local REA what the local MLS is. Maybe the REA can tell you what the MLS charges them.

2-Why don't you get a website specializing in RE photography. Cater to the local RE offices, all sizes, including moms & pops. Stop by & offer them your service.

3-New realtors need pictures taken. Offer that service with "touch ups" for the ladies. I know that for a new agent, ONE RE photo of their face in my area costs $119.

3-Hook yourself up with the local newspaper Sunday FSBO ads. Many FSBOs have no clue how to take pictures.

4-Offer packages & A la Carte photography.

Good luck & let us know how you make out. You have a niche, so put it to good use.

FYI- If you get CNBC, there is a program called "Big Idea" with Donny Deutsch. He's on at 10pm Eastern time. He's awesome & full of business & niche ideas. Many people like yourself seek his help on TV. You can Google his website & get more info.

o

Thanks! I love the big idea... I actually wrote him for some help. Thanks for the info! Hunter

o

Sorry to say that 99% of all realtors I've ever met take their own pix. You'd be better off selling yourself to the sellers.

o

I agree that most agents take their own pics. I have worked in RE for the last 8 years assisting other agents, and the only ones that I know of that use a professional photographer are the ones that have extremely high end listings. I suggest you ask your question on the Active Rain website, which is frequented by RE agents.

o

Just to take photos for the MLS? Most people charge $25-50 in my area. I personally wouldn't pay just to have someone else take my listing photos, though.

You might want to contact a virtual tour company, though. What I normally do is pay around $50 to OBEO or TourFactory, and they send a photographer out to do my virtual tour photos. They also create a website and a flyer.

o

Just to take photos for the MLS? Most people charge $25-50 in my area.

That's about what I charge the agents that I work for to take pictures. My daughter is really into photography and suggested that I buy an expensive digital SLR camera and take some classes. I told her that I would have to charge more money than the agents are willing to pay if I invested too much in the equipment. I have a great little wide angle point and shoot digital camera, which takes very nice pictures. I often clear countertops and move other items in a room to make sure that I get a good shot. I don't know any agents that pay to have virtual tours done (except for the very high end homes). There are several virtual tour software companies that charge about $30 per month for unlimited virtual tours.

o

hunter I think it's a great idea. I've had a realtor drop her purse on my kitchen counter and snap a photo of the purse an dher keys. I've had them take a photo of windows when traffic was stopped outside - which isn't often but of course at that moment... I've seen silly pictures of corners of living rooms. Really. A pic of a guitar leaning against the wall. Huh? This morning I viewed online photos of a home and the Realtor's fingertip was in EACH and every photo. As a seller I would be really ticked off and demand it be removed and taken professionally. You could also consider the panoramic photos that show one room and where it leads so a buyer gets a better idea of the layout. As a buyer, I would welcome it. As a seller, it makes sense. And to help "stage" a room by moving things around or just removing some items from view would be helpful. Good luck!

o

So far good replies r coming, just keep it up, it would be helpful to me too.

Bill Consolidation

o

I explored the idea of making a business of taking RE pictures because so many of the pictures are awful, but I was discouraged early on by agents who said they would never pay for what they can so easily do themselves.

I discourage easily, so if the OP really makes a run at it, I hope he will let us know how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here