Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dominos123

Have you sold because of a 'Neighbor from Hell'?

domino123
13 years ago

We are selling our home because of a neighbor from hell. A true nightmare. We've put a lot of money into our home, but at the same time we'll make it up on the other end provided we buy the right home in the right location at the right price.

I have regrets, at the same time, I know my life will be peaceful after we sell. Living next to these nutbags is not worth the headache. Wondering if anyone has had the same experience?

Comments (81)

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

Yup, had a Neighbor that was weird very annoying. Every time we did something in our yard, they did exactly the same thing. Planted the same flowers, same trees and bushes. We put up a unique mailbox on a stand and yup, they put up the same one in another color. We got a Sheltie dog and yup, so did they. We would go out to mow and 2 minutes later out they would come and start mowing. Bought an SUV and yup, so did they. So glad we moved, but it wasn't because of the crazy neighbors. By, by Billy Joe, too bad he can't see this he would know it was about him

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Keeping up with the Joneses!

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is a helpful thread - its helped me put my own NFH in better perspective. In other words, it could be worse. MUCH worse!

My totally oblivious neighbors across the 9 foot alley have a compulsion to burn incense, scented candles, what have you 24/7. In all my years of urban living Ive never had this problem before. Even with their doors/windows closed, enough of it seeps out via the bathroom vent to cause a nuisance. With doors/windows open - yowza! Several times Ive had to leave my backyard because of impending asthma attack. If I talk to them on the street I have to stand back because the smell emanating from them is too much.

They also like to leave unattended campfires smoldering in their weber grill for hours on end which of course has to be sitting right outside their back door, 9 feet away from my windows..... where the smoke inevitably goes. They smoke cigarettes too, but that doesn't really bother me since its not continuous 24/7 and honestly, not quite as strong smelling as the chemical odors, the new generation which btw has been engineered to be not only stronger but to hang in the air longer.

Question: if you talk to them twice and they seem like they're willing to compromise - but then go right on doing the same old same old, at what point do you think - they really just don't give a fig? They commented that I'm "so sensitive," but the truth is these chemicals work not by "neutralizing" odors but by numbing the smell receptors in your nose. So they just don't have a clue to how bad it really is.

It does give me some comfort to think vengeful thoughts about how they'll probably all have COPD at age 60 and then maybe they'll have regrets about having been so inconsiderate.

Then theres the neighbors on the OTHER side of me, whose dryer vent opens right into the 8 foot alley between our houses- there is one particular dryer product they use that is unbelievably potent - you can smell that sucker literally half a block away. But the difference is that they don't run it 24/7 and they've been very considerate about not leaving on a yardblaster light that would otherwise be shining into my bedroom and even with curtains closed waking me up (its that bright). So, Im willing to tolerate brief nuisances from them just because they've been willing to do the same for me - 2 hrs ev other week is tolerable.

FYI - health hazards of chemical air freshener products: https://www.nrdc.org/health/home/airfresheners/fairfresheners.pdf

• Terri Griz
    8 years ago

This thread is amazing, reading stories about these psycho neighbors. Reminds me of many years ago, when we had an apt in Colorado, waiting for our house to close. I was sick with the flu, retching in the bathroom in the middle of the night. I became aware of someone in the apartment upstairs, making similar retching sounds. Very strange, have no idea why someone would mimic the sounds, but there are a lot of nutjobs out there. Liked what dominoswrath had to say, psychology is an interesting field.

I truly feel sorry for people who have to live so close to each other, and don't get along, cramed into small lots, apartments, condos, etc. I suppose the lesson here, is for us all to become wealthy. Homes and land tend to become progressively larger and more secluded, as the price goes up. My horses are a great excuse to have more elbow room, and the next house will be even farther out, just not so far that banjo music is playing in the background, lol.

• HU-195112373
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So sorry for the many that have also experienced very bad neighbors. Our main reason for moving at this point is for more outdoor and indoor space as well as privacy and Higher end home value area. However, second on the list is the bat sh*t crazy people that suround us. The neighborhood is very low class and filled with people who have too much time on their hands to worry about other people vs their own life. Moving for peace of mind from bad neighbors can be a large blessing.

• Karin Harvey
    5 years ago
    Hell is other people. I am moving to a detached house halfway up a mountain because life is too short to put up with stupid intrusive people and I am fortunate that I can. I am so sorry for those who are trapped my heart goes out to you all.
  • Jana Shohat
    3 years ago

I just read through this entire blog and it has really helped me. We moved into our home 16 years ago. Anyone who moved into this home would have had problems. Actually, the owners before us did make a noise complaint about the neighbor to our left. The three neighbors my husband and I have a problem with have lived on our street for at least 40 years, raised their kids together, etc. About 5 to 8 years ago, one neighbor's (to our immediate right) redwood tree had a branch fall on our roof. This was the third branch that fell within about 10 years. My husband had the city certified arborist come out without the neighbors' knowledge to look at the tree. The certified city arborist said that the tree was not topped off properly. We made an insurance claim that was denied. Our neighbor gave us their deductible that barely covered half of the roof repair. But the neighbors took down the redwood tree because someone could have died from the sheer size of the branches that fell. Then the neighbors to the left, that same week, started to build a "patio cover" up to our property line and even over it a little. I asked the construction manager if he had a permit. Lo and behold, they stopped work. We won a city complaint about the permit and our neighbor had a 5 year old tizzy fit. Still to this day the wife acts like a child. When our dogs were playing and barking playfully, she kicked the fence on her side while my husband and I were in the hot tub. I think their behavior is the least of my worries. She drives by the house slowly and just stares at me on many occasions. Then there is the third neighbor, who I am afraid of. Years ago, his wife got upset because I did not answer the door to her Mormon church guys who came to our door. Seriously! Her second husband is not Mormon. He is quite the fellow. He thinks that he has the right to park his car in front of his house and saves the spot with CalTrans safety cones. My husband reported him. In retaliation, he thought I reported him, and he put his fingers in a gun position, twice, and aimed them at me. I was so shaken, so I called the cops to go out to speak with him. He has no registered gun. But the other neighbor with the redwood tree says he has a gun, so I think the gun is unregistered. My husband does not want to move so this is becoming a marital issue. I need and want to move. Recently, I told my redwood tree neighbor he needs to move the garbage can to his adjacent side of his property and he threatened me. The city will not intervene. My only recourse is a civil action. The Mormon's husband has retaliated by putting a very bright light in his front yard that shines into our living room so we are filing a civil action for a sheath over the light. It is never ending.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Jana - I'm sorry you feel that way about your neighbors, but I'm looking at it from the outside and to me you seem just as much at fault in some of these things as your neighbors are causing trouble.

The neighbors with the tree seems like they tried to do what they could and took down the tree and gave you some money. Why is the location of their trash can something you can tell them where to put it? That seems like such an unreasonable request and maybe the guy was a bit put out about your attitude and you just took it the wrong way.

As to the permit issue it sounds like they were doing something wrong, but why did you not just talk civilly with your neighbor before reporting them. Seems like how you handle the situation is to just be the neighbors that reports everything. So no wonder others think you are the person reporting it. Right or wrong it becomes the view of others.

Also having barking dogs is annoying so if you want to be a good neighbor that would be something you could do your part and help out with and not have your dogs bark. Maybe the neighbor only kicked because they were annoyed with the dogs barking and nothing to do with the permit and the staring may not be staring necessarily at your house since theirs is next door so may be going slow and looking to make sure all is as expected and I'd rather have someone going slow than fast. You can certainly assume they are doing it if it makes you feel better, but I think I'd take the tactic and assume there is another reasonable explanation for it instead, which is the more likely case.

Now the parking one seems like a really odd dude and his reaction is odd, but I guess he's upset with someone reporting it and holding grudges as you are with your other neighbors, so maybe try to look at it from a different perspective and maybe you will start being fine with staying there. One can always assume people have it in for you especially when you have done things to them that may cause a rift, but to hang on to that also causes you harm so you may want to think about ways you could try to become a good neighbor too and let bygones be bygones.

• Jana Shohat
    3 years ago

Thank you for your opinion. You do not have to live my life tho.

• Jana Shohat
    3 years ago

By the way, I did talk civilly with the neighbor about the permit and they refused to get a permit and take down the structure. They stated it was their property and they could do what they wanted. I stated that there needed to be a 5 foot setback in case there was a fire and the firemen/fire women needed to get back on that side to put out a fire. Our daughters' rooms are on that side of our home and I did not want our daughters' to die in case of a fire.

• Jana Shohat
    3 years ago

About the dogs, we put up grey material to stop the dogs' barking. We put the doggie door in at night so they cannot get out. We put the doggie door in during the day when our neighbors' have their lawn care come. The garbage can is unsightly from our kitchen window and dining room. We have done our best to speak with our neighbors civilly and really, nothing has worked. I have never had neighbor issues at all. This situation is different. It's like my neighbors feel entitled and do not care about anyone else. I tried, then reported.

• Jana Shohat
    3 years ago

The placement of the garbage can is adjacent to our fence and increases the dogs' barking when our neighbor puts his green waste in the garbage can. I mentioned this fact to him.

• Jana Shohat
    3 years ago

Also, this is supposed to be a safe place to state why you want to sell your house because of bad neighbors, period.

• B Duey
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My story is the same! Druggies next door make living next to them so stressful. I am not myself anymore. I put so much time, energy and money into making my house a home. I am moving for sanity, which is priceless. I hope all goes well. I know it was 9 years ago, but I wonder if the people who responded and have moved feel more peace.

• Debbie Downer
    3 years ago

this is supposed to be a safe place to state why you want to sell "

Yes, exactly. Theres no way we can fit every little detail and nuance into a single post on Houzzz. Therefore it would be nice if readers could give a poster the benefit of the doubt - assume we know what we are talking about! Its just a HOUzz post, for crying out loud! youre not on jury duty and dont have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the truthfulness of someone's statement! Just assume things are what they are said to be - or, dont respond.

That said.... it kinda comes with the territory though. Gotta expect that if you post anything at all on the internet someone WILL find fault with it. Thats why I'm always reluctant to post photos on Houzz - instead of answering the question they go off on tangents commenting on and criticizing other things in your pic that you are not even asking about!

It is what it is - as the saying goes.

• HU-797888712
    3 years ago

I feel your pain. I’m in a situation where I’m debating on putting my home up for sale. I’ve lived here for almost five years without incident. It all started two months ago when the mother disappeared and the 20 something son stayed in the home. He doesn’t work, nor hoes to school. His career of choice is to sit at home and play video games 24/7. he must have a subwoofer or something because the bass comes through the slats in my attic that face his house and comes through every vent in my house. I’ve called cops four times and he says it’s not him. I sleep around three hours a night and since I’m on soci security disability, I’m home all day as well. The cops have issued a warning to him, but I feel he will say i not him again. The vibrations and sound is horrific.

something really needs to be done about people like this. Why can’t he use headphones? Are some people really that inconsiderate to older people on disability?

• jane__ny
    3 years ago

Buy a house with large property. I'm 72, moved to Florida from New York. Houses are close together and I can hear everything from neighbors on both sides and behind me.

We lived in NY, Westchester County outside NYC for 45 yrs. We had two acres. What my neighbors did really didn't bother us except for lose dogs but we lived with it.

In Florida its a different story. We so regret not buying a house with more property. I can hear everything going on around me as I'm sure they can hear me.

If you can afford it, buy a house with at least an acre.

• B Duey
    3 years ago

I had to move because of the drug dealers next door who had people on parole living in tents and sheds on their property. They had loud parties every night. All the neighbors were afraid. It wasn’t easy, but I left. I have a bigger house that I do not love b/c it does not feel like mine. The other neighbors are close, so it doesn’t feel private. There is a busy road. All that being said, I absolutely did the right thing getting away from the hell I was in. I do feel more peace.

• HU-9685455
    3 years ago

As a potential home buyer, you HAVE to take control of the process and can't rely on luck or the real estate agent as all they want to do is close the sale.

Some things to do even before buying a home is check out the neighborhood for at least a month. Is there a home next door that has many cars in the driveway? Or a basketball hoop in the culdesac with unruly kids playing? Do you see any Porch Dwellers that talk loudly all day in front of their house?

The key is to avoid homes that have neighbors that are LOW INCOME FAMILIES. They are rude, obnoxious, and have internal life struggles and thus exhibit the trashy behavior that ruins a potentially decent neighborhood.

• Debbie Downer
    3 years ago

Porch monkeys? you may want to edit - google phrase for meaning (unless you really do intend racial overtones)

If we want to talk about lively street life of whatever ethnicity - as a long time urban dweller I much prefer lively interactive neighborhoods to the burbs where you see hide nor hair of the people living there. It can be a beautiful day and - no one there. Its like the twilight zone out there where Im the only one left alive I imagine they just drive straight in their garage and just scurry into their house never to be seen except when the lawn is mowed.

I assure you that obnoxious rude, crude neighbors come in all colors, and all income levels. The bottom line is - do people around you CARE about their neighborhood. Ive been considering a historic old neighborhood in a nearby small city that is somewhat decrepid but you know what... its not the low income people living there who make the decisions to not paint and to build ramshackle decks instead of real porches - its their investor landlords.

• B Duey
    3 years ago

I lived in my low-mid income home for 17 years. A lawyer moved in next door. He got disbarred for drunk driving and fighting in public. He started dealing meth and housing parolees. You can’t make this stuff up. It happens in every neighborhood everywhere. I don’t think low-income makes someone an awful neighbor. I live In California and the housing market is so hot that there is no way you could look at a house for a month before buying. my house sold in one hour

• Debbie Downer
    3 years ago

Wow! Sounds like Saul Goodman's evil twin - LOL.

• 1happycustomer
    3 years ago

I disagree about low income neighborhoods, not synonymous with drug homes. I grew up fairly poor and everyone lived on tiny tiny lotsand many families around and everyone minded their own business.

When I moved to a middle class neighborhood where everyone had to keep up with the Jones’s is when the problems began.

Different generations, different mentalities entirely.

• mtvhike
    3 years ago

Through most of my life I lived in cities, not necessarily the worst neighborhoods, but very lively. DC, NYC, Chicago, Cincinnati, Chicago again. Because of work, for the last 30, I've lived in the suburbs. When I retired, I moved to the country. Although all were pretty good, I liked the suburbs the least!

• HU-122959428
    2 years ago

My partner committed suicide because our NEIGHBOURS FROM HELL made our life unbearable in the end.

• B Duey
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am so sorry to hear that. I can completely relate. I decided I had to move to save my life. The police just made matters worse. They did nothing about the crime next door.

• HU-122959428
    2 years ago

People (NEIGHBOURS FROM HELL) can be so cruel, Why do they do it, can only hope karma or God punishes them because no one else can. I am still being taunted by them

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

Well the NFH I mentioned above 5 yrs ago were kicked out for non payment of rent. The landlord had to leave doors/ windows open for days cos of the nasty stale airfreshener + garbage smell - you could smell it hal a block away. Then there was a normal neighbor for a couple years, and then I couldnt believe it when the landlord then rented to some unhinged friend of the NFH! They proved to be equally as - yelling and stomping around instead of having normal conversations and running their dryer with over the top smelly dryer sheets literally every waking hour early am to midnight, 7 days a week. That stuff is nasty - it hangs in the air and builds up in the 8 ft alley between our houses, unles sthere is a strong wind to blow it away. Now that they are back at work, the days are mercifully stink-free, but then it goes all night so we cant have windows open. But by far the worst thing is that this (expletive deleted) is cruel to her cat. It just breaks my heart and Ive been trying to find ways to get this cat out of there but it would involve breaking and entering - animal control can do nothing unless its something they directly witness.

• HU-122959428
    2 years ago

Much the same here amongst a MULTITUDE of other things the NFH do just to annoy, they have also burn sandalwood incense outside, it stinks to high heaven, so I can no longer have windows open for 6 yrs, these NFH literally drove my partner to commit suicide. Regarding the cat issue can't you place food out on your side to entice it away?

• Bree Mabry
    2 years ago

My husband and I sold our first home after only a few months after we caught our neighbor on our Ring camera standing in front of our home, waving a gun and threatening to kill me. We purchased the home during the winter when it was so cold no one was outside. We drove by the property multiple times at various times of day and it was always peaceful. As soon as spring hit, we moved in and realized warm weather=drug dealers and parties on the street every night. None of the crime reports we looked at indicated this might be an issue. Now we know that high crime neighborhoods don't always have people living in them who are willing to report the crime occurring.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much research you do. We talked to the neighbors, drove by SEVERAL times at different times of day/ night, looked at crime reports and trusted our realtor who was highly recommended. Buying a home is always a gamble.

• Christina Kuhn
    2 years ago

Wow.... In a way, it was really comforting to read some of these stories to know my nasty neighbor from Hell isn't quite as bad. But she is still a pretty nasty person. She is a night owl and loves to go outside at night. She also enjoys loud music -- sometimes playing it so loudly that you can hear all the lyrics and feel the vibrations from inside the house, even with all doors and windows shut.

I am married to a wonderful man in a wheelchair, and we have three young kids (ages 9, 5, and 5 months). So naturally, her loud music really disturbs the peace when my 9yo can't sleep.

This neighbor never introduced herself when she moved in, and I had honestly no idea we had a new neighbor there at all until the first summer when she started blasting music. Then she encountered me when she happened to see me in the grocery store with my daughter. She complained about my daughter wandering into her yard and picking her flowers (this lady really loves her yard and flowers). I apologized, thanked her for telling me that my daughter had done this, and made it clear that my daughter would not do it again -- and I upheld my end by not even letting my daughter play in the backyard without me there to supervise her.

Fast forward to this year. My youngest child was born at the end of April, and I had needed an unplanned C-section. I spent 5 days in the hospital, coming home on a Friday. Since I was not only tending to a newborn by myself but also trying to recover from major surgery with limited to no help, I was VERY exhausted. Neighbor was blasting her music right when I came home from the hospital on a Friday evening. Then, two days later, she did it again that Sunday -- starting at 7 PM. I was so upset that I couldn't doze off while my newborn was sleeping. I wrote her a note (yes, I know... not the best solution, but I couldn't really walk over there easily -- so I had my now 9yo deliver it, only because I knew my daughter knew the neighbor). I went with my daughter to make sure that she was safe and came right back, which she did. Neighbor lowered the volume but then came over to my house the following evening (6 days after my C-section). My newborn woke up RIGHT BEFORE she showed up, and I was getting ready to feed him when she arrived. I answered the door expecting to thank her, telling how very grateful I was for her willingness to compromise and lower the volume of her music. And she BLASTED me, yelling at me for 20 minutes. My newborn was RIGHT THERE in the room screaming his head off, and that nasty woman was YELLING at me, finding as many faults as she could find (her biggest one seemed to be that I wasn't very "friendly" to her in the past). I cannot believe it. What person, in their right mind, takes a mother away from her NEWBORN BABY and lets the baby scream and cry for 20 minutes over some trivial issue???? I have never disliked a person like I honestly can't stand this lady.

She has occasionally continued to play her music on further occasions. It's usually about 1-2 weekends a month, but you never know what day and when. And we did have a lot of rain over the summer, so between that and the bugs, it has kept her inside.

The gentleman living next door to her is also awful... lots of loud music LATE at night -- but he only has loud parties once or twice a year.

Once after that incident occurred, I went into the backyard with the kids for just a few minutes around 10:30 AM on a weekday. We were simply cleaning the backyard, and I was directing the kids to pick up this, pick up that, etc. I didn't think I was very loud at all, but the woman actually appeared in her window and STARED AT US the entire time we were back there (which was honestly maybe only 5 minutes). It made me feel really uncomfortable.

Another time after that incident, my kids tried to play in the backyard, and the nasty lady came out and tried to talk in a friendly way with my daughter. My daughter calmly told my son it was time to go in, and they came in right away and told me about it. I was impressed with how well my daughter handled the situation, but it concerns me that this grown adult is trying to befriend my kids after the way she had treated me. I get the impression she's desperate for friendship and then treats people terrible. I suspect she has a mental disorder of some kind.

My husband and I are convinced we really need to move, even if it creates a financial hardship for us, because I've seen the toll it has taken on me, psychologically. My kids, who overheard this woman yelling at me, are having nightmares over her. They no longer want to play in the backyard at all. I did consider getting a privacy fence, but it will not stop her from blasting music.

This woman is former military, and she scares the daylights out of all of us. Even more concerning is that my husband is significantly disabled and could not protect himself if she were to come to our house again and attack us.

On one hand, she probably isn't a harmful person. On the other hand, I don't want to stick around long enough to find out. Going to talk to some of our other neighbors on our cul-de-sac to see if they have had any bad experiences with her. Rationally, I know moving doesn't necessarily mean it will fix the problem -- we could wind up with more obnoxious neighbors. But I have learned my lesson. I will never again try to ask a neighbor to turn down their music -- next time, I go right to the police. It's unfair, because I feel it was the right thing to do (be polite and deal with her as directly as I could at the time), and I'm not usually a confrontational person.

I've managed to avoid this nasty woman, but only because my kids and hubby and I all stay out of the backyard and avoid the street where she lives.

So in our case, we aren't totally sure we will move, and I don't want this nasty lady to be THE reason. We actually do need more space, though (three kids, three bedrooms, and our house is getting SMALL!). So that is a good reason for a move. Honestly, I will be VERY grateful to get away from this woman. She's been a nightmare to us. It isn't fair when kids are too afraid to play in their own backyard and my daughter is even having nightmares about her.

• Christina Kuhn
    2 years ago

FYI, my family and I are also low income. My husband is disabled and cannot work. I gave up my full time teaching job to care for our children. I currently homeschool them. I also work part time. We probably aren't the best neighbors in the world, but I try, and I try to be considerate of the people around me. I just wish my neighbors behind us did the same. Our area isn't a wealthy area, but it isn't a low-income housing area either -- pretty much standard middle class. So it goes to show that this kind of mess can happen anywhere, unfortunately. Someone wise who raised her kids in a trailer park once said, "It's not where you live, it's how you were raised."

• HU-122959428
    2 years ago

I continue to experience the same, my heart goes out to all those are inflicted with NFH

• B Duey
    2 years ago

I did end up moving. I really miss my garden that I put so much time and sweat into, but I do not miss the endless stress with the neighbors. I should have moved sooner. I would move again if the same thing happened. Moving is hard, but not having peace at home is worse!

• Stacey Rudderham
    last year

We are selling right now. After 9 years of being targetted by a group of neighbors, and in this weird time when everyone seems so angry over Covid and restrictions i really asked myself why we were living them way we are. Our kids have been bullied by their kids.... how it started was us standing up for our kids in a very calm and diplomatic approach.... my husband had been accused twice of attacking a particular neighbor, even though witnesses can clear his name, no one wants to get in thd middle. She tried to get a peace bond which would have permanently prevented him from volunteering in our kids' school or activities. The judge saw through thrm. We have not walked in our neighborhood for the fact that we do not want to take a chance we would meet her or her trolm friends and face another terrible accusation. I was in cancer treatments and had surgery that could have killed me if the tumor didn't, and they laughed and gossiped about whether i was going to die, or if it was fake.

My youngest daughter deals with their kids every morning... why does my kid have to start their day off with this?

We are moving 100 kms away.

• worthy
    last year

When a brand-new spec 90210 mansion hit the market last year, the neighbours were expecting the worst. It was promoted as a party house, including a rooftop deck suitable for sit-down dinners for 300.

Fortunately, the neighbour across the street, who maintains a very-low profile, plunked down the bucks and bought it herself to maintain tranquility. What's $29 million when Dad's a multi-billionaire?

• HU-590940690
    last year

Bad Neighbours can drastically reduce your enjoyment of your home and life in general. That to me is the most important, so I will be selling shortly. Good neighbours, even if they are just friendly and you aren't best friends, are SOOOO good!!

Unfortunately the bad one's seem to stick around!!

If it got to the point where they touched my dog though as they did in another comment, I wouldn't just be moving!!!

hope everyone is in a better place now!

• Bea Elliott
    4 months ago

I figured it out... Having the neighbor I have (7.5 foot away!) is my punishment for all the wrongs I've ever done in my 70 years of living. This guy literally keeps me awake at night. At the moment I operate on less than 2 hours of sleep due to his bright light in my bedroom. Thanx before hand for all the suggestions of fences, arbors, blackout curtains, trees, etc... They don't apply... Nor does advice to talk to him - He is beyond reason. Perhaps chemically unbalanced as well. ?

I've lived in my home for 25 years. The property next to mine has been vacant until last year when my nightmare began... Since then he's cut down 3 of my trees --- Each planted when I purchased the property. When I confronted him (chainsaw in hand) he replied "Oh! I thought these were mine". The recent survey/property line was clearly marked - 2.5 feet away!

Then there was the issue of an open car port that had a 10 inch over-hang (certainly not in anyone's way) --- I researched and discovered it would be a matter of "adverse possession" being that it was here for so long... Not good enough for my neighbor though --- I was startled one afternoon to hear a skillsaw ripping through the metal roof of my carport! I was stunned that someone could so brazenly take law into their own hands. Police say I can take it to small claims court, etc... Honestly though, in another context there would be an arrested for vandalism or criminal mischief... Or at least theft as he removed/took/stole the chopped off piece. No justice. :(

Old survey's used outdated measuring instruments... Nowdays GPS, drones, and so on measure very differently - I'm sure this will only add to the many disputes that arise in boundry/property lines...

Grand finale to my tale? Neighbor (who doesn't know how to read a survey stake, who blatantly distroys other's property, who violates neighbor's peaceable enjoyment of their own home --- Is a realtor! And a "builder" ---- And is 25 and knows EVERYTHING in the world! Sigh... :( Anyone wanna buy a home in Florida? :(

• bry911
    4 months ago

First, I am sorry you are dealing with this.

The problem being, your neighbor has no vested interest in your well being and if you want resolution then you are going to have to make resolution beneficial to them.

The most actionable thing you have in the post above is the tree being cut down. The destruction of the trees damaged your ability to reasonably enjoy your property (sleep) and since they were on your property he must put you back into that state. That may be a significant expense on his part and once your neighbor realizes they are likely to lose they should start caring a lot more about not upsetting you.

There is a lot of power in pretending to enjoy the drama even if you don't... Just act giddy and tell your neighbor that you haven't sued anyone since before the pandemic and your attorney is just so handsome that you can't wait to see him again... win or lose at least you will have some excitement.

---

As for the adverse possession, you have to assert it. It is his property until you take it away. You can get an injunction to stop him from doing something that you find out about, but you can't sue him for something he did when he still owned the property.

• Bea Elliott
    4 months ago

@bry911 - Thanx for the advice and sympathy. Very amusing about acting giddy for the entertainment - But less drama would be better still...

I learned too late about asserting adverse possession. Naive me never EVER thought someone would remove a piece of a building from my home! I still have anxiety when I recall the incident. A horrible violation that leaves me feeling unsafe. Honestly, I don't know what he's capable of and I don't want to escalate anything by taunting or court action...

I'm on the web everyday looking for another home. I hate this! I really wanted to spend the rest of my life here. I love(d) my home - once.

All in said - I really MUST repeat: This individual is a REALTOR and builder! Obviously once I do decide to sell I'd never trust the (National) company he works for. Nope!

The good news is my home is paid for, well maintained and desirable... If I sold it "by owner" I'd get to pick who his new neighbors would be --- Hummm.. There may be a sweet ending after all! :)

• Rita Council
    3 months ago

I just purchased a townhouse and have only been living here for 7 months. I took have major issues with neighbors on the both sides of me. Ones a whack job and the other is letting her sister stay at her house and she trains dogs and keeps several dogs at the house. Constant barking whining and howling. I've complained 3 times to the association. The homeowner was contacted and yet her sister still lets the dogs bark. I'm at my wits end here! I'm stuck.

• bpath
    3 months ago

I think we are going to. One of our neighbors has an outdoor spa and the heater has to be on constantly when the air temp is 45° or lower. So, it is on all. winter. long. We can hear it in the house. This year it is louder than usual, perhaps due to its age. And on crips nights it is worse. Unfortunately, the prevailing winds carry it right to our house; when the wind is from the other direction, it isn’s as bad. We are on good-sized lots, too, and they are kitty-corner behind us.

Yes, we spoke with the neighbor. Very nicely at first. When they said they would NOT do anything about it, too bad, even that they can’t hear it inside their house (seriously?) then said their pool contractor said it is functioning fine, we talked to our alderperson. Then the city. The homeowner will not do anything about it. In the winter DH will often go to a room on the far opposite corrner of the house to sleep because it keeps him awake.

DH is ready to move right now.

• taliaferro
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

You mention the age of the heater might be causing the noise. Have you considered offering to purchase a new spa heater for your neighbor? I can’t imagine they would reject that offer. Certainly less costly and disruptive than moving.

• bpath
    3 months ago

Since they did nothing about it in the first season they had it, and totally dismissed and disbelieved that we could hear it, we are not inclined to do that.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 months ago

@ Bea Elliott - just saw your post. Given that this guy is 25 and a realtor and bought a home that had been abandoned for years, I wonder if he may just flip the house. I hope for you sake this is the case and he will be there for a year or less and move. Crossing my fingers for this outcome.

I do love the idea of being his nightmare neighbor and I would become the nightmare neighbor if my gut told me that he wasn't dangerous.

If your gut is telling you to be careful follow your instincts. I had a neighbor back in the late 1980s who was off balance. He screamed at me and my husband if the dogs made any noise or we mowed the lawn when he was home or sometimes for no reason at all. He was always really angry. He scared me and we did move.

2 months after we moved he got into an altercation with 3 teenage boys who trespassed on his property on their way home from school. When he yelled the boys didn't realize he was nuts and yelled back. He went in his home, brought out a gun and he shot and killed them.

• Rachel
    2 months ago

@jennifer hogan, oh what a horrible story!

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 months ago

@ Rachel - I agree, and sadly, the police often cannot do anything until someone does something horrible.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 months ago

@ Rita Council - So sorry you are dealing with this so soon after moving in.

With regard to the pet training service - in addition to the noise your board has to also enforce other rules regarding running a business and maintaining insurance. They also have to protect the association from incidents that could occur on common grounds.

I worked in the humane industry and as much as I love animals, I am very aware of the risk that any business that deals with animals holds. When I ran a mobile pet vaccination service at pet stores I needed to carry $1 million/$3 million coverage for myself, my business, my employees, my independent contractors (vets), the pet stores where we conducted business and the property owners where the pets stores were located. We also needed to get riders or event insurance if we held a clinic at a community event.

What are the rules for your community for running a home based business? What types of businesses are allowed?

Is the business licensed?

Is the business insured?

Is the condo association covered if an incident occurs in a common area or involves another tenant or their pet?

One of our greatest risks was dogs that were not dog friendly. We had to be constantly watching for signs of dog on dog or dog on cat aggression.

If the board is aware of the business and has not made sure that adequate insurance has been obtained they could be held liable.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design