Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raya7694

Would you paint while on the market?

raya7694
13 years ago

It looks like we may be on the market for a while and I didn't paint because I knew we would be selling soon. I really want to paint BM Smokey Mountain blue in my den/kitchen. WWYD?

House

http://www.forsalechoice.com/index.php?inc=featured_details&mls=2100716

Paint Pic

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0720564927770.html

Here is a link that might be useful: House

Comments (14)

• larke
    13 years ago

If it's not a dark color, and you want to spend the money, why even ask?

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I found it on the internet and it looks like a medium gray. Honestly,I don't think that would be a good choice to paint if you are trying to sell your house.

• logic
    13 years ago

Blue is a cool color that is not exactly the best suited for kitchens in terms of broad mass appeal.

• mariend
    13 years ago

Even though blue is my favorite color, many do not like it. How light is it? I have seen a beatiful sage green that I like, and that is NOT my favorite color. If you feel like you have to paint, look for different shades of white/cream. We have used Kitten white, which is a couple shade darker that white and seems to go with my cabnets great. Take picture of kitchen to someplace like Home Depot and ask a professional--or to a paint store. Neutral colors are better if you are selling.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

IMHO, you're better off leaving it as is. The rest of the house is basically white, wouldn't it look kind of weird having the kitchen painted, and then nothing else?

Also, as a previous poster stated, that type of colour is not generally a "traditional" kitchen color.

It is a very nice colour, though. I'd love it for an office.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I'm sure it's a beautiful shade. I have only seen one kitchen in my lifetime in blue I liked. It was actually only an accent against mostly white. I think a blue kitchen would make me lose my appetite. I'm sorry, but I'm being truthful. I also think it would stick out like a sore thumb against the white in all the other rooms, and then you'd be doing more than one room so they wouldn't be so conspicuous. And then whomever bought your house would want a painting allowance. LOL.

• sweet_tea
    13 years ago

I looked at your listing and I want to compliment your realtor on writing a top notch description.

I agree with the other posters about not painting blue gray.

Why do you assume your home will be on the market awhile? Are you overpriced and need to drop the price, but not wanting to do so?

• raya7694
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have dropped the price and have lots of traffic, but because of the school district will need a specific buyer. Relocation, older couple, or one with no school aged kids. Those are the ones looking at our home. 4 second showings and only one ended up buying. Nothing has sold in our neighborhood for a long time.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I would paint if I felt it needed it, but I don't think that color will work too well against your cabinet color and stained trim and would most likely be a draw back in a buyers eyes.

• larke
    13 years ago

Remember that people appreciate blank canvases even if the initial 'take' is that it's "boring white" - the second take usually reminds them.

• phoggie
    13 years ago

Your house shows very well...hope it sells soon. I know how the "waiting game" goes....not fun~~

Your walls look good....and if you were planning to stay there, I would definately paint them, but if you paint them blue, the next person would want green...and so it goes...but do as you want to make you happy....I don't think this blue color would stop the sale of the house.
    Good Luck~

• Billl
    13 years ago

If you have an all beige house with a distinctively blue kitchen, you will certainly be remembered as "the house with the blue kitchen." That isn't a good thing.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

If you want to paint anything you could paint under the chair rail on the dining room. A little darker beige or light brown would look good there.

• totsuka
    13 years ago

I call that "depressing blue", get rid of it.