Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutbunch

Why list on MLS if you don't want to sell or show?

nutbunch
14 years ago

Hi

So we've been sort of looking at getting a fixer upper, and either fixing it up to rent as we know 3 families that are looking, or see if the fixing up was any good and it would sell for slightly more than the fixing up cost.

We are not in any hurry, but have limited time to see properties, and in our area, the price range we are looking at is really hot. People buy them in a day.

So we bought our house as a short sale, and since we are in no hurry, can wait for the slow bank process. Others seem to shy away from them, so not so much competition.

We found a possible property, priced right, needing the right amount of work. At least on paper. However the listing agent never returns our agents calls to set up a viewing, even though they work for the SAME agency. A week has passed, even when she knows he is working, he will not respond about this property. It's just listed, so couldn't have an offer already, unless the listing agent made one.

Never mind I guess I know a reason. However, I wish if there is an offer pending, they'd at least let Redfin know that it's now contingent.

Comments (9)

• Billl
    14 years ago

There is no reason for an agent to not return phone calls. Even if there was an offer on the house, returning calls is a basic part of professional courtesy.

If you are really interested in the house, you should just call the owners directly and let them know that you are trying to set up a showing but haven't gotten a response from their agent. They probably don't know their agent is blowing off prospective buyers.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

It's just listed, so couldn't have an offer already, unless the listing agent made one.

That might be what happened. I once lost a newly listed property to the listing agent, who stole it from the owner with a well below market purchase. I actually made a formal offer over the listing price just three days after it listed, and lost it to the unscrupulous listing agent.

The agent I was working with was furious. She said she was going to go after the guy's real estate license. I have no idea if she did, though.

• ncrealestateguy
    14 years ago

Bill,
    the poster is working contractually with an agent, so, per the Buyers Agency Agreement, assuming they have one, it is their agent that should do any phone calling... and it can not be to the listing agents seller. However, when this happens to me, I call the listing agents Broker In Charge and politely tell him/her that I am trying to sell one of his/her listings, and the agent is nowhere to be found. Works every time.
    Creek Side, great deals are not made with pricing, but more often with timing. The agent had better timing than you did on this particular property. At least she put it on the market, even though it was only for a couple of days. And, also, the seller did not have to accept the agent's offer.
    Anyhow, to the poster, have you agent call the other agent's Broker In Charge.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

NC. The property I am referring to was a real deal at the the listing price, which is why I immediately made a full price plus offer. The owner had put it on the market when he got an instant transfer out of state, with only a day or two to report to the new job.

The agent I was working with was certain that the listing agent had lied through his teeth to the owner regarding activity and/or likely activity on the property, in order to get it at well below its market value.

The listing agent is obligated to act in an ethical manner. In this case, I am pretty sure that didn't happen. My agent, who talked to the listing agent about it, was certain about it.

So I agree with the OP's musing that it is possible the listing agent may have latched onto the property himself.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

OK, it sounds like I am accusing the agent the OP is referring to as some sort of crook. I'm not. I am merely agreeing that agents sometimes grab desirable listings for themselves and was using my experience as an example.

In my case the listing agent acted unethically, according to my agent at the time. I don't wish to imply that the agent in this case may have done likewise.

• Billl
    14 years ago

ncrealestateguy-If a buyer signs and agreement with an agent, it in no way restricts them from making a phone call. It may ruffle a few feathers, but that is it. You might operate under a particular code of ethics as an agent, but that code does not extend to the behavior of your clients. If your client wants to bypass you in any and all negotiations, that is their right. They will still need to pay you, but that is the extent of your relationship.

I'm sure your recommendation works great most of the time, but these 2 agents work together at the same agency and one can't get a return call. That is just unacceptable. If the agent can get it resolved on their own, great. It doesn't appear as though that is working at this point though.

As for timing/deals - a sellers agent that helps set the price on a property and then immediately buys the property at that price is behaving improperly. If the agent knows that the property is so underpriced that they immediately jump on the deal, then they didn't fulfill their duty to look after the financial interests of their client.

• dreamgarden
    14 years ago

bill-"If you are really interested in the house, you should just call the owners directly and let them know that you are trying to set up a showing but haven't gotten a response from their agent. They probably don't know their agent is blowing off prospective buyers."

Great idea. If I were selling a house, I'd have a telephone number (email addy) on the flyer that allowed prospective buyers to tell me what kind of service they are receiving from my agent.

• C Marlin
    14 years ago

We found a possible property, priced right, needing the right amount of work. At least on paper. However the listing agent never returns our agents calls to set up a viewing, even though they work for the SAME agency. A week has passed, even when she knows he is working, he will not respond about this property. It's just listed, so couldn't have an offer already, unless the listing agent made one.

This happened with me also, but I was the buyer, when it listed I made an offer the next day directly with the LA, it took days for the seller to sign final docs to pend the house. In the meantime the LA didn't take phone calls and removed the lock box so that it couldn't be shown before he got it sold, but it did stay listed.
    This could be happening to this house, doesn't mean the LA is buying the house himself.
    I don't know why the OP thinks if can't have an offer from an independent buyer? It only take a few hours to get it out there.

• nutbunch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cmarlin and others were right somewhat. The story is cagey.

From what I hear from my agent, remeber in the SAME agency. That laywers were invloved, it did get offers, but they pulled it off the market. Maybe since they got offers the lawyers were involved. Or maybe since it was a short sale the lawyers are involved to save the property for the original owners.

It's gone anyways.